Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure vitality on a hammerdin ?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Teotwauki, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Teotwauki

Teotwauki IncGamers Member

Pure vitality on a hammerdin ?

Alright, I figured I would make a DII character for old times sake, and I had never made a hammerdin, so I figured thats what I would do...

Half my characters have been deleted, so I'm not to "wealthy", but can trade for most uniques etc.

I know the skill breakdowns etc, but gear and stat wise, what should I go for.

I'm not that finatical that I don't want to waste a single point, but I don't know my end game gear. I just don't want to end up with 30 points into str that I don't need.

Anyway, I don't see how you can have base vita, anyone care to inform me of gear choices for that?

Basicaly, for a cheaper Hammerdin build, how much str and dex should I get ?
    I can work out the gear myself later, but if you want to suggest anything, go for it.

I'm on USWEST SC LADDER.

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Start off using cathans rings(2) and armor (+20 str, lvl 11 req) and Iratha's full set(level 14 req,+25 dex, +rezzy and 20frw). Shop yourself a scepter with +x hammer and +x conc, preferably 3/3(without other mods those are level 18 req) offcourse, but that could take a while to find. A Hsarus buckler for it's 10 str, or if you want to use up 10 str get a Steelclash shield. You could also consider CrushFlange with Steelclash. The 50 fres on Crush is quite nice.
    That, I would consider simple,very cheap and very effective leveling gear.
    You can stay at base dex and base str while you level up to whatever level you want. At least 67 so you can wear all your endgame gear.
    Cathans will also give 15-20 fire damage while wearing 2 items, which is still a nice addition at level 11. the 25 dex on Iratha's goes a long way to using a shard. Only thing you would need on top of that would be boots with at least 6 dex and some res.

I made a hammerdin almost pure vit. He's level 84(Cause I never bothered to level him further) and still wearing full Iratha's. I just like the set(and I have shares in the Iratha's factory). :)

3. Teotwauki

I probably should have made myself a bit clearer. This will be a PvP build. Steelclash doesn't look like such a bad shield. Considering how much a better +1 tri res shield would cost.

If I'm going for irathas, the extra dex might make a shard pheasable, although, that extra FCR still might not be worth the damage sacrifice from having a good scepter.

EDIT:

Alright, now I take a quick look at things, Irathas doesn't look like the best idea...

4. WarlockCC

From what I have seen, all pvp hammerdins use a shard. vs monsters you need the extra damage a scepter can bring, vs players you need the casting speed.

If you need more res vs elementalists you could offcourse also go for a 3D shield or some with specific res.

Iratha's 20frw makes outmanouvering other players easier.

5. Teotwauki

Well, the better hammerdins I used to fight moved with charge, and AFAIK that is not effected by FR/W. Irathas is tempting, but it just takes up to many spots, I just don't really see the use for it unless it's on a speeder.

Like I said, I havn't played a Hammerdin before, but I guess I could always put a point into salvation, and carry a 3 diamond shield, just in case...

Would that be a bad idea ? Or do hammerdins -need- the conviction aura up to hurt people ?

80 FCR is whats needed right ? Thats another reason not to use Irathas, Irathas takes up Ammulet and Glove spots from memory, so that means only 70 FCR.

I was in the middle of making a new sorc, and had all my sexy FCR duel resist rings on her, so I'm not sure what stats I'll get from them. I guess the only remaining question is, how much str. It's tempting to try and get a goldskin and use tearhaunches, but yeah...

Thanks for the help.

6. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

yes, pvp charge+vigor is the clag effect that you'll see people talkinga bout, desynching in effect. when done perfectly, it almost makes it loook like the din teleported.

however, I still prefer frw boots, for making minor adjustments, especially if/when hit with a nasty coldspike, and/or decrip curse.

my din is not the perfect vita build. I have roughly 4x dex, so that with a minor gear change, I can use shard if I choose. the most glaring problem with my build is that the +2 priz shield I had at hand, was a tower shield, and required a lot of str, even with gear to attain. This also means, that I'm giving away the fact that I'm not a vita din, in that I wear gskin now too for added resist. at lvl 90, he has 421 vitality

none of my gear adds to mana, or energy. Without a BO, the blue bulb goes down FAST, especially if you use charge for every movement.

even with BO, I typically find I need to use one blue pot when tanking/killing everything over by infector (I prefer not to redeem while there are bad guys wailing away on me, and/or mana burning me)

as was suggested earlier. If you can get to lvl 3x, and/or then rushed to hell cs runs (decent ones with competant and patient folks willing to put up with ya) you could simply sit on all of your skills/stats for quite some time.

yes, you need one in redemption. I usually put one in salvation for the resist aura. there's usually at least one other din around, and if/when infector spawns with conviction ,I put salvation on, and feed from the conc aura of the neighboring din.

as for lvling. look for threads by hfc. the current ladder leader on the asian realm. If I recall correctly, he's using essentially all set items, and is a pure (or nearly pure) vita din.

hammer damgages are "only" in the 6.5k range on the char screen if I recall correctly, but he has massively stacked FR, with nozokan, hot spurs, etc..

I don't recall the specifics of his total build, but it was interesting to read about.

7. WarlockCC

Aye, downside of Iratha is the amount of places. But if anything, you can use it to level and wear whatever you want at level 67.

I don't know why one would use charge to get to somebody, since that would knock the target away from you and your hammers. Essencially saving them.
    Even when you use Shift Charge, there still is a high chance that you will hit them if you get too close. Even with a Scepter which only has range 1.
    (Grand, War and Rune have range 2, HWS and Divine have range 3)

I think it is indeed 75% to get the bp, so I allways take 80FCR aswell. You could get that bp with a Wall of Eyeless, Shard and FCR ring. :)
    Most paladins probably use a shard to get the 50FCR breakpoint though, so their rings are free to be SoJ's for instance.

Oh well, in the end it comes down to how you like to play. Your build is the only build that fits your style.

8. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

pvp din's never, NEVER take their pinky finger off of the shift key.

charge to acquire target, and roll their fingers over to switch from charge to hammer. BOOM. dead.

the rude ones, then stand over the body, and nk :laugh:

I am neither. Due to the variety of characters that I play, and also using the laptop from time to time, I have left all of my shortcut keys/function keys in the default locations.

I know that most of the truly talented/respected din's on east have made dramatic changes to their keyboard layout...

this brings up a new thread idea, one I'm not sure I've seen in my short time here.

9. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

To be pure vita build you really need low req items or some very nice jewelry
    Dont think you should ever go past 58 str from a grim shield (to start with you should aim to use items alot less than this).

If you going pvp with a shard you need to find 31 dex to use shard, so you should get some dex from boots (upto 9) rings and gloves (upto 15) necky (upto 20). This is not the easiest thing to do and some comprimises can be made, just remember that each wasted point is 3 more life so if you have an item that has +60 to life that is the same as using 20 stat points.

To get 80 fcr bp i think it all depends on whether or not you can get a decent fc amulet if you can you can go ammy,ring,ring if not you really need to go magefist/ring. with ammy ring ring you have more options and you can get some nice stats on gloves str/dex/resists

My shard HC pala uses a 20 dex fc +1 ammy with 20 prisma and 4x fr (this is the reason i use shard for pvp as the ammy is difficult to get better) then 2 x fc rings one with high dex one with high str, 18 str belt and gloves with str/dex and hots as he is pvp (an 80 fast cast rate hammerdin with +3 to all skills kills easily in 8ppl CS solo, you dont need a +2 +3 hammer scepter imho)
    In pvp i guess that if you hit someone once with an 9k hammer (really more like 4.5k) they will go into hit recovery so they are dead meat.

If you can get + 31 dex and +33 str you shouldnt need to put anything into stat points. (although you dont need +33 str to start with but having less will limit your items later on)

Conviction aura is not needed on a hammerdin hammers do spirit damage and conviction only effects elemental resistance.

10. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I have a +1 priz pally ammy with +20 dex... it's quite nice. pity my +2 priz shield was so heavy. *Shrug*

I guess my suggestion would be, if this is a first starting out character, then it might not be a bad idea to make an initial din that can survive mf-ing places, and cs runs to acquire gear for, then perhaps remake when you have acquired the gear to make a tweaked/pure vita din?

of course, this all depends on how many people one has on the /f list that can help out with rushes, levelling, and perhaps even borrowed gear...

11. Teotwauki

Why do all hammerdin build include lvl 20 conviction ? Your telling me that, againsed players, I will be doing exactly the same damage, with or without conviction ?

Well, I have a couple of other characters, I have a 74 FB sorc with maxed out MF. But I'm not one of those people who likes to sink days into a game just to get that 1337 item.

Maybe I should just sell all her gear (Gull, Tank, P Nagels, 25% boots/gloves etc) and try and buy myself some good gear for the din. Then again, MF gear is quite valuable as it lets you get even more good gear ...

Alright, here's my current gear list.

Ammulet. (I'll find myself a crappy +2 later on)
    +1
    +2 str
    20% FR
    +9 mana
    +5 light
    Half freeze duration

Ring
    10% FCR
    +5 dex
    30% FR

Ring
    +10 dex
    +29 life
    +5 mana
    23% LR

Belt (Sharkskin)
    24% FHR
    23% Fr
    +3 STR

Shard

Steelclash

Tarnhelm

Magefist

Now, I'm not sure about the boots and armour. I could either go with low str req rares, or I could go with Tearhaunch and either Goldskin/Silks.

If I go with those, it will mean puming str up to 80/100 though ...

12. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

Conviction does not help hammers - players dont have any resists against spirit damage and conviction does not reduce spirit resists.

Do not use silks (noob alert)! Goldskin would mark you out as a none serious player, and tearhauch are not any use either the +vigor on them gives you no extra damage (as on synergies only hard skill points count) and you will pump vigor to lv 20 any way.

13. Teotwauki

Ha ha ha

I was getting conviction mixed up with concentration...

Anyway, level 42 now, I think I will have to put points into dex/str. Although I do have a few gull quality items I could trade.

Thanks for all the help :p

P.S. Hammers rock...

14. WarlockCC

My humble Blessed Hammer using smelladin wears only simple items.
    Full Iratha's (Thus I can't use a +2 amu, so sue me), Heavenly Garb, FC/15 Str ring, a shopped scepter with +2 pala, +3 blessed Hammer & 1 meditation, SoJ(that pala found the SoJ, so he gets too keep it :) ), some rezzy boots and a shield which is a lot like SteelClash since it has +1 and 20 pris, but it also gives 7 str. He used to use a CrushFlange(weee, 50 fire res and 15 str).

15. Teotwauki

Ha ha :p

I've been looking for a scepter like that for a while. Not that it really matters anyway, because I will be using shard ... But since I don't have end game items yet, I'm not sure how much dex to get, so I'm using a +3 BH septer ATM.

I nearly got a 24% FHR, Quad res, Life suit of armour today, but the guy dropped or something, and had traded it by the time I saw him again :(

I got myself a really crappy +2 pally shield, but I think steelclash is better anyway ...

16. WarlockCC

I vaguely recall being told that rare items cannot spawn with 3 prefixes(4 types of res would be 4 prefixes).
    And I have never seen pris on a rare armor.

So I guess you mean tripple(clf) res and poison length reduction. :)
    Or, if you mean a shield, those don't come in the 24fhr variety.

17. Teotwauki

Ahh yeah, Hmm, now I think of it. It had 24% 23% 22% Lightning Fire and Cold resistences, 24% FHR, -20 req, life(From memory). Anyway, it was anice armour...

18. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

if it had that lvl of resist, and similar, or higher life, I would imagine it would go for a couple of sojs, regardless of realm/mode of play...

19. Teotwauki

Ha ha, well, I just ran into the same suit of armour, but on another person(Or very simular anyway).

They wanted a gull and my Naga(Rough stats).
    115 damage. (about 120 or so ED from memory)
    +200 attack rating.
    +13 or so Max damage.
    5% health leech.

... for the armour(Russet). But I ended up trading just the naga for the following.

Breast plate
    98 def
    24% FHR
    39 life
    21% LR
    11% CR
    Damage reduced by 6

And...

Studded leather
    63 def
    24% FHR
    47 life
    20% CR
    19% PR
    magic damage reduced by 2

Maybe I should have just got the Russet for the Naga and gull...
    Still, what do you think of those two suits, good deal ?

20. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

there is a difference
    you listed an item with nearly perfect stats, which is pretty hard to find

dual resist armors with low defense are quite common

while tripple res, fhr, life and -req (if they all can even spawn together) are RARE