Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure trap, max block or no?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Sickman, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

Pure trap, max block or no?

My Sinner is level 75 and I just beat up on hell Andy.

My plan for now is to farm Countess and Andy for a bit while my sorc (**) takes care of my MF needs on meph/pindle/shenk/eldritch.

My sorc found a storm shield last night and it got me to thinking about survivability on my sinner. I don't have enigma (yet) so my countess/andy runs are done with bursts of speed and cloak of shadows when needed.

My hell resists are 71 fire 75 frost 75 lightning and 69 poison thanks to wizardspike.

I have verdungo's belt for the 15% DR as well.

I currently use lidless as my shield with a pdiamond for resists.

but my dex is low (high enough to use wizzy) and my chance to block is terrible (21% with lidless).

So, since I am not teleporting and having to run to my goals in act 1, should I equip the SS and try to hit the max block until I get enigma later and can just teleport everywhere?

Thanks for reading.

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Pure trap, max block or no?

As a pure trap, not necessary - at least it shouldn't be since you shouldn't be in melee.

If you did a kick/trap variation, then definitely. Otherwise I'd just roll a spirit/spirit or dual bartucs until you do the hoto/spirit enigma deal.

Of course if you end up gettin rich and can somehow manage a 102fcr pure c/c trapper, by all means =)

3. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

Ok thank you.

4. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Why not make ww/ls? There would be a way to obtain physical damage too b/c -elr does not work with traps. Only conviction works.

5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Because WW doesn't work well for a pvm play.

6. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Since blocking is reduced to 1/3 effectiveness while running, and you're running everywhere since you don't have enigma, I would not suggest going max block with your trapsin. It would be pretty useless for the vast majority of your pvm time.

7. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

True but you would usually be using traps. When you do boss battle or light immunes, using ww would be effective then. I would also prefer using both ww and ls for baaling for faster killing speed.

8. King Shango

King Shango IncGamers Member

You'd be better off with a kick/trap hybrid.

9. Meanstreak

Meanstreak IncGamers Member

Agreed. Kicking is far more effective. Crowd control shouldn't be an issue between traps, your merc, and at least a minimum level shadow master. Whirlwind is pack overkill. Baal would fall much faster with Dragon Talon and the other skills.

10. SeCKSEgai

WW is slower killing speed against baal, especially compared to kicking. Even pure traps with fireblast as your secondary will outdo ww.

WW is primarily used on ghosts/hybrids/wwsins because it also applies other types of damage over time which make far more difference in pvp vs pvm.

You also have to keep in mind you're very likely to lose trap damage by going ww unless you happen to have +3 LS claws.

11. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

I'd say go C/C, with a few +skills you can get 50% weapon block (lvl 10) easily, and it stays 50% when running, thus in your case twice as effective as running with a max block shield.

You can shop for two +3 shadow claws on switch, ideally with + x to weapon block as as staff mod. These claws are used on switch as prebuff weapons for your BoS, and for blocking while running around. lvl 7 claw block (1pt + 6 from claws) will give you 46% block, which is still better than a shield. Once you reach the countess you can then swap to wizzy/lidless, dual spirit or whatever you want to kill her.

12. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Weapon Block is inactive when walking or running.

13. SeCKSEgai

One of the best things about C/C is that its the one thing that can block just about any attack, like hammers and lightning bolts. That's why I prefer c/c on pvp sins more than anything. And you don't have to dump into dex either.