Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure Skele Usefulness?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Gimpyfish, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Gimpyfish

Gimpyfish Diabloii.Net Member

Pure Skele Usefulness?

I know that what people are calling the fishy build is the popular and probably best skele build around but I've been wanting to make a pure skelemancer for a while now...

Are skele mages useful at all in the higher difficulties? I haven't played in this game in years so I'm wayyyy out of the loop on this stuff.

I want to make a necro with maxed raise skeleton, skeleton mastery, and skeleton mage at very least. If I do this what are my best options for other skills? I probably want a point in amp damage (what necro doesn't o_O), but what about decrep? or even possibly lower resist? (that's not likely but i might as well ask) Obviously a point in summon resist at least but should i throw one into bone armor and bone wall?

Just looking for some info...

I just want to have a necromancer and lots of skeletons, sounds simple enough, but I'm wondering about its effectiveness.

Thanks for the help

2. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Pure Skele Usefulness?

Skeletal mages seemed pretty good when I used them. Really speeds up the process when dealing with physical immunes, even when broken by Amp (since they still have 90+% physical resistance). Lightning and Fire mages do the most damage. Poison mages should be used only to prevent monster healing, since their damage as faaaaar too low to have any real effect.

For the curses, I had one point in all of them. Confuse/Attract are great for dealing with insane groups. Decrepify helps a lot against bosses, especially early on and vs Baal (slow Baal = useless Baal). Lower resist helps when you're dealing with unbreakable physical immunes.

Of the poison & bone skills:
    -Corpse explosion definitely gets some points.
    -Bone wall can be useful for blocking off places you don't want your skeletons to go or helping divert a swarm of monsters. However, beware that it attracts things in from FAR away. I've woken up Mephisto from one of the side rooms in the durance with this!
    -Bone armor can help with a stray projectile every now and then, but isn't really worth a huge investment unless you want to run Shenk a lot (the spear cats' missiles pierce, so your army won't protect your from that).

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :guiness: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Most common option are maxing CE, putting points in GM and going for a tough Golem and maxing out DV for use against Souls. Either one of these can serve you well.

I agree with Nimbostratus that the curses all deserve 1 point. You might not need them, but there are a lot of situation where they could be helpful and make things easier.

4. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

It seems like he wants to limit himself to just skellies, Mantis, so that would mean Golems are out. As are Revives.

The Mages can pack quite a punch, but they'll also keep you occupied. They seem to have a fraction of the toughness of the melee skellies, so you'll be recasting them much more often. Also, as been said before, the poison/cold mages don't do as much damage as the fire/lite mages, so you'll be constantly raising/desummoning mages until you get the right colored army. It'll be a bigger burden on your mana pool, also.

5. Gimpyfish

as long as they aren't completely horribly useless than this is the build i want for now haha, i'll make a fishymancer later... for now... well i haven't played this game in years and i'm ready to have myself a big skele army XD

thanks for the input... one point in all curses seems a bit crazy but i'll take a look see... i just hit twenty and i've put one point into raise skele one into skele masetery, one into clay golem (pre-req for resist) and one point into mage... i like to save it so i can click madly when i hit higher levels i guess lol

6. Hello Jim

Hello Jim Diabloii.Net Member

look it that way- 1 in Dece for Bosses, 1 in LifeTap for Bosses too, 1 in LowerResist from team duels maybe.

7. Wizdomm

Wizdomm Diabloii.Net Member

With good gear Mages do just fine. While not as tough as Skel Warriors, they still rarely die since they hang back with the necro from the action. And this is also a plus from Mages....while the Skel Warriors are engaged with the enemy, mages provide you some nice meatshields.

Also, if plan on doing alot MF'ing in multiplayer games then I'd prefer having maxed mages than maxed CE. CE is seriously nerfed in multiplayer games and I would rather have the small bit of extra damage from mages plus their meatshield capabilities. If you plan on strictly soloing with your necro, then CE is easily the best skill in the game and maxing it makes more sense.

I would definitely put one point in at least 8 of the 10 curses (Confuse and Attract being optional). Amp, Decrep, and Dim Vision are your main curses while solo'ing. Lower Resist and Life Tap can be useful when partying with chars that request them.

8. Phredreeke

Phredreeke Diabloii.Net Member

I'd put a few points in Amplify damage. Then you don't have to recast it as often and you'll curse more enemies for each cast.

CE deals as much damage solo as with eight players in the game. So does skeleton mages. I'd pick CE over mages as half CE's damage is physical which can be doubled with your main curse (Amplify damage). If you want to boost your mages damage you'll have to use Lower Resists which means you're not getting the physical damage boost from Amp. Fire&lightning skeleton mages deal comparable damage to regular skeletons, but Amp reduces physical resistance by 100 already at the first level, while Lower Resists starts out just reducing resistances by 31 and requires further levels to increase the reduction (with strong diminishing returns)

I wouldn't bother with Life Tap and Lower Resists. Life Tap will heal the barbarian whacking at the bad guys, but with Amplify Damage the bad guys will go down twice as fast anyway. Lower Resists will help the sorceress do more damage, but your skellies really needs Amplify Damage to be effective. Attract can be useful as crowd control. While the enemies are picking on the attracted monster they're not hitting your skeletons, which means they won't get into hit recovery thus they'll hit more often.

9. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo Diabloii.Net Member

I use both, maxed SM and RS first, then CE and the 1 pt wonders, maxed mages and rest in BA synergies.

10. Gimpyfish

i maxed mages skeletons and skeleton mastery with one point in summon resist and now i'm just sitting on a bunch of skill points... For curses I've got a point in amp a point in decrep but I haven't used anyhting other than that

also i have about 200 stat points left lol for gear should i just go for the max possible to summoning skills?

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Depends on what you want. Are you interested in a stronger Golem? More Revives? Maybe a high-powered CE?

12. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

Dim Vision is crucial for the piercing javalin cats and the Burning Souls in Act 5, among other things. Pile some points into that. If you insist on foregoing CE or Revives, then just go all out on expanding the range and duration of your curses.

Another route you could explore is Bone Armor, for added protection. Hey, you gotta spend those points somewhere, right?