Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure rabies druid?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by wooginator, Jun 24, 2010.

1. wooginator

wooginator IncGamers Member

Pure rabies druid?

People always seem to favor rabies/fury, but when I made one last ladder I never ended up using the rabies. So how does this gear set-up sound?

Main weapon set:

Shael'd plaguebringer sword
    Eld'd Stormshield

Switch weapon set:

30/30 poison crystal sword
    20/20 poison monarch

Other gear:

Shael'd Jalals
    Bramble armor
    Trang's belt for cbf
    Angelics
    Trang's gloves
    Aldurs' boots or maybe Shadow Dancers for dex/fhr

Stashed stuff:

Enigma for frw
    CoH for resists
    Harmony Chu-ko-nu for a fast rabies and harmony. I used this against bone necros and hdins that I can't resist or block anyway and against whom that frw is still very useful.

Plus without fury I'm free to max oak as well as lyc giving me huge-*** life. Any thoughts?

P.S: I know that it's kind of an obnoxious build since I just hit and then run around until they're dead. Still, not everyone will town and then yell at me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Re: Pure rabies druid?

You have to make it a 30/30 phase blade.

3. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Its a switch weapon only he doesnt need to hit him with it thus crystal is fine. Im quite partial to a deaths web switch. -55 resists does alot more than -30 against most guys.

4. wooginator

Exactly. And yeah, death's web is nice against most people but I was thinking more of the 30% more damage than the -30 res from the crystal sword, especially against people like paladins and barbs who always have very high res and whose res I won't be able to pierce with just -75.

5. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

plaguebringer as main weapon is crap. very slow even with shael. best will be 40 ias 2 socket fools phase blade for fast implementation of rabies

whats the point of shael in jalals? jalals+bramble is enough for 86 fhr with simple jewel 7 fhr adds

in the end pure rabies is weaker then rabies/fury. rabies/fury also have maxed oak but can hit hard when needed wiith fury

6. wooginator

Speaking from personal experience, 8 frames is a very tolerable attack speed when you only need to hit once. Also, when I had a rabies/fury I never used fury. Maybe like, two or three times in the entire time I had the character. You're right about the jalals, though, I'd be better off finding an fhr jewel with some other good mods. Although if I wanted to switch to a non-bramble armor such as nigma or coh I'd need more fhr than that 7 fhr jewel provides. And believe me, with angelics you really don't need that fool's mod, not to mention that it's ridiculously expensive to get a sword like that. If I just wanted to be fast I'd use a 6 shael pb for a 4 frame rabies.

7. RealmOftheWolf

Well heres my idea if you really want to spend the runes on it.

Deaths web or CS 30/30 on switch with a 20/20 monarch.

If your good mannered. Well the main weapon should be.

BOTD phase blade any damage. Mainly for the speed and 30 to all stats.

Think about it for a second.

6 frame attack speed in a phase blade and 30 to all stats to save more points in dex AND strength so more vitality and a Nice fury speed. Also if I worked it out correctly you should be still swinging at 6 frame while under decrepify

Or bad mannered.... DOOM warspike for 7 Frame Rabies, and a half assed fury speed.
    The holy freeze will cause them to slow down massively on their run to town.

Either way you should max fury to keep them in stunlock after you hit them.

You should think about Cerebus bite too for the ar bonus. Garanteed hit but other stats dont equal jajals.

As for charms id try for AR/Faster run walk charms

8. wooginator

The ebotd pb is an interesting choice, but I really am loathe to give up the plaguebearer. It adds a full 20k rabies damage. Doom is definitely a good choice though, not only for the holy freeze aura but because it adds +2 skills, mitigating the loss of +5 from plague. And I've given Cerebus a lot of thought and it's just not worth it. Ar is nice and all, but 20 strength, 30 fhr and 30 resist all can't be beat. To give some perspective, with my current prospective gear (41% bramble, trangs, 20/20 mon 30/30 sword) here are the damages from the various weapons:

Ebotd pb: 51,075 over 18.8 seconds
    Doom: 58,114 over 19.6 seconds
    Plaguebearer: 69,426 over 20.8 seconds

See the difference?

9. Orion

Orion IncGamers Member

Funny, I was reading down the page and thinking that I'd use my
    BOTD PB on this guy and RealmoftheWolf sized it up :)
    I can say from experience - it Rocks!

* as does "Wind" in PB - but I haven't tried that yet - look at the stats - seems like a good fit.

But Plagebearer - drop that wep when you get to level 63 and find a better one.

BOTD PB >>> the rest! You hit twice with it for every time you would hit with a Plaguebearer - Really you hit twice - at least it seems like it. I dumped a Plaguebearer and went to a BOTD PB - big difference! Felt like my damage doubled.

As far as Fury - Your choice on that it's your char. I would be tempted to put 5 pts in it for when I need it ( I put more on mine).
    Given your intent to use Rabies and stick with it and not use Fury - just put 2pts in it and leave a Den for Respec in case you change your mind. You can Stunlock then and Kill with Rabies - should work.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. RealmOftheWolf

You lose some damage yes but you gain alot more hp and less stats spent on everything. You could go base Str near enough without enigma with it.

Id vote doom if you dont mind being Bad mannered and i stress that Fury back up to keep them from getting away is a must.

Smack
    Switch
    Switch back
    Fury

Hopefully keeps them in block lock for long enough for them to die.

11. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

You don't gain THAT much HP from EbotD.

Bearer IMO is a subpar weapon. Sure, you only need to hit once. But anything with max block is a nightmare with that speed of attack. For pure Rabies I prefer ROBO PB with 4x Shaels and 2x 15/15s. % Frame Attack is always sexy.

12. RealmOftheWolf

A robo phase is a waste on a One Click char. He needs to attack once so the extra frames make no difference. He needs to rabies once and hit which shouldnt be too hard with a 6-8 frame attack.

60-120 life before any skill modifiers can be gotten from BO depending on how his strength works out.

I used Robophase on my shifted dreamers.
    95 ias/75 all res for werebears :D

13. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Disagree. Hitting Barbs and Smiters with Rabies is a chore and you NEED to stick it as soon as possible. Trying to walk a Barb with Bearer compared to a ROBO PB is a world of difference. The extra damage from the weapon doesn't matter if you're already dead or don't have to health to dodge a killing blow while the poison takes effect.

14. Hartside

Hartside IncGamers Member

If it's pvp go botd zerker all the way range 3 and good speed . I've never used anything better and I've tried alot . Doom is good vs zons but I prefer botd vs everything else . < noob wolfs oppinion :)

15. RealmOftheWolf

Sure plaguer bearer but im more of the Botd phase blade so its 6 frame which should be fast enough to bite a barb/pally.

Angelics+Raven will give a nice wad of base ar while maxed Lycanthropy and Rabies will give a decent enhancement of those which should be enough to have at least a consistent hit of all but the most defensive pallys.

Assume 10 skills level 85
    485% Lycanthropy
    253% Rabies
    20% jajals

I think it should be enough to get a high chance to hit most players.

16. Hartside

Sorry verash but I'd disagree robo zerker is the way ahead range 2 off pb vs palas barbs imo is real bad but I'm sure you'll convince me I'm wrong as allways ;)

17. RealmOftheWolf

Sure on a fury druid the range matters but you only need 1 insignificant hit so speed is more important than range.

18. Hartside

My main char is fury rabies and getting 1 insignificant hit vs even a bvc useing range 3 is hard if they know how to ww properly. Which luckely not many do

19. RealmOftheWolf

To be honest vs anyone that does know what they are doing, Rabies wont stand a chance so thats moot point ^^

Keep a zerker in stash for them few games eh? lol

95 ias robozerker.

20. Hartside

That's why I'd never biuld pure rabies wolf . Hybrid all the way. And as far as I know the only advantage of pure rabies is more ar