Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure PvM Summoning Necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dako, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Dako

Dako IncGamers Member

Pure PvM Summoning Necro

My friends and I are planning a weekend to return to good 'ol D2. Our plan is to spend the night trying to beat as much of the game as we can. Now, when we picked through our class decisions (we were pretty baked mind you), I came up with Summoning Necro.

Now my question is, when kind of build would I use to be most effective in trying to beat the game with 7 other friends? I was thinking of alternating skills a lot, like 3 into Raise Skeleton, 1 into Skeleton Mastery, 1 into Amplify Damage. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Pure PvM Summoning Necro

Is this some sort of untwinked adventure? If you plan on trading/re-running bosses, 1-5 into Amplify Damage is enough.

I would rather max Raise Skeleton, then Skeleton Mastery, with a few points into Corpse Explosion every now and then.

3. Barbarrister Voldamus

Barbarrister Voldamus IncGamers Member

If you are running with that big of a group I think that you may want to focus on a lot more curses than you normally would for a pure summoner. I would also pop quite a few points into CE to help speed things up

4. Dako

Dako IncGamers Member

I wanted to go pure summoner, including mages, 'cause they're sick. I'll have to look through some skill calcs for those too. If anyone can give me a build to use for something like this adventure that would be great.

5. Barbarrister Voldamus

Don't get me wrong a pure summoner could be a lot of fun in a group game especially if you can convince a couple of the other party members to play pallys and or Druids if you are running 8 skellies + 8 mages with a combination of Fanatacism, Concentration, Conviction, HoW, Oak Sage, not to mention one each of all of the 6 act 2 mercs that would be one tough force. I still think that you could do well to jump on several curses in addition to the Summoning tree but if you want you could stay completely away from the PnB tree. But you may get bored just cursing, raising revives and maintaining the other summons.

6. Dako

Dako IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking to put points into Raise Skeleton until I have 3, then 2 into Skelly Mastery, then 1 into Amplify Damage. Then points into Raise Skelly until I can get 5, then more into Mastery, then maybe another point into AD. Then just put some more points into Skelly, then Mastery, eventually adding mages when I can.

7. Barbarrister Voldamus

My thoughts would be one each in Raise Skelleton and the Mastery then one in Amp after that I would up Raise Skeleton and each time you get a new skeleton spend the next point in the Mastery until you get to about 5 Skellies then you can dump several in Mages till you get five. you will eventually want summon resist so I would use the quest points for your prereqs. depending on how thorough your group is you should be able to reach a pretty solid profeciency by the end of normal then you can add a couple points to dim vision unless you have a CoS Assasin along and top off your summoning spells in NM. Since it sounds like you guys will be playing kind of an untwinked marathon just watch for heads and wands that pop up, dump a Strength (Amn + Tir - the Runes are pretty easy to find or even cube to) polearm on your merc probably in early NM even though it is no Obedience the 25% CB and the 7% leech are probably better than any magic or rare you are likely to find just running the game. And let us know how things worked out if I steered you wrong I am sorry but good luck trying to find me.

8. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Keep in mind this is all assuming you'll be in a group all the time:

First three points into Raise Skeleton, fourth into mastery, fifth into amplify damage. After that just skill up RS/SM equally until you get teeth/CE/CG.

One point in amplify damage is all you need. Use it often; it will speed things up a lot. In pubs when so many skeletons annoys people, the curses alone make a necromancer worth bringing along.

CE as soon as you can (getting prerequisite level beforehand). CE speeds things up even more than amplify damage in countless encounters. I'd personally put more points into this early on since you don't really need so many skeletons with a group. Summoning skills is really *most* important when soloing.

Decrepify is nice for bosses. I'm really not sure if it's necessary with a group since I've mostly played solo.

Dim vision? I don't see how it's necessary when playing the whole way with a group. I personally have only used the thing in hell difficulty (again, solo) when resurrecting monsters are a huge pain in the *** to deal with.

Mages? I barely find them useful solo. They're mainly nice to have for the rare phys immune in hell; but my merc does most of the damage in that situation, anyway.

Focus on the fishy build, there's a GOOD reason why it's so popular. You just have to change the order of your skill ups to adjust it to group play. 20 CE, 20 RS, 20 SM, 1 in curses, 1 iron golem, 1 revive. Do the order of skill ups your own way, keeping the group in mind. Buy a +2/+3 summoning skills wand from the vendor as soon as you see it in later levels.

9. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

You will want to do a "fishy", it is in the stickied guides.
    20 raise skellie
    20 skellie mastery
    20 CE
    20 mages (since you said you wanted mages, but there are other options, I like mages myself)
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    1 revive
    1 amp damage
    1 decrepify
    1 dim vivson

ALWAYS max raise skellie before skellie mastery, you can put one point in mastery in the beginning, but no more till raise skellie is maxed.

Like solutionx said, since you are playing in a group you may want to put your one point in curses, 1 in clay golem, and max CE first. Your CE will eventually cover the whole screen, when your group drops a monster, pop its corpse with CE and the entire screen is dead in just a couple of casts. With lots of +skills you will kill baddies off screen as well.

Clay golem will slow bosses and pull heat away from your party.

If your party is getting spanked, focus more on skellies for meat shields.