Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure orb viable?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by king dilhan, Jul 20, 2010.

1. king dilhan

king dilhan IncGamers Member

Pure orb viable?

Hey there,

I was thinking of building a, for the most part, pure frozen orb sorceress. I was looking at a few guides and the one that caught my eye was, Introducing Layla-II, the Baal-running Orber. I would be planning on using a similar gear setup:

-Nightwings with cold facet
    -Death's fathom with cold facet
    -CoH
    -Spirit shield
    -Magefists
    -Arachnids
    -Waterwalks or war travs for boots
    -Tals ammy or maras
    -2x soj
    -a couple of cold skillers, torch and anni

I would max out frozen orb, ice shard, and cold mastery
    1 point into teleport, static

The rest will go into fireball and its synergies for the immunities that cannot be broken?
    If the immunities can all be broken then I guess I would put the points into warmth for the mana regen

to deal with cold immunes I would have an infinity merc with andys/fort

Essentially, similar to a pure light sorc. I was wondering if this would be a hell viable character or would she be completely outclassed by the aforementioned pure light sorc.

I want to build a pure orb sorc mainly because it is and always has been my favourite spell in diablo. I also never really liked dual element and so if I got around the cold immunes, I was wondering if this character could manage?

Any tips, advice or comments are greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Pure orb viable?

Infinity will not break native cold immunes in Hell. It pretty much only breaks lightning immunes. Also, since Cold Mastery already gives negative enemy resistance, Infinity is essentially wasted on a cold sorc. Pure Lightning will kill faster (or if you want to stay cold, pure Blizzard is powerful as well). However, pure Frozen Orb will still pack quite a punch. So either go dual element (Fire Ball is a good choice), or plan on facing immunes.

3. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Pure orb is a bit of a misnomer, since there's only 60 points you can spend on it in any case, plus prereqs. The other points have to go somewhere, so it might as well be a second element. The only really true pure orb would be an orb/ES build.

The Orbitaller is basically a cold/fire sorc that maxes out FO and has a decent FB as a backup.

The only big problem I see is that you'll have, if my mental math is right, 95 FCR (20 Arach 20 Magefist 35 Spirit 20 DFathom), so you might want to swap one SoJ for a good FCR ring so you can hit the 105 bp for both FB and TP.

4. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Basically a dual element orber with infi then.

This is probably what I'll build first if I ever get my hands on an infi. With that amount of +skills and infi, you only need one point in CM to get everything in the game (except for pandemonium diablo) down to -100 cold res, so maxing it is a huge waste. Max bolt and orb and spend the rest in whichever attack you like 2nd best. Meteor will be nice for baal runs but I think CL will be easier to use everywhere else.

Orb does have it limits but with that equipment you should be able to cruise through players 4 hell at the least.

*And I second the fcr ring suggestion.

5. king dilhan

king dilhan IncGamers Member

ya I just recently read about cold immunes not being able to be broken. So I guess I'll have to settle for a dual element. Now as to what my second element will be, I still do not know.

Would it be a waste to use an infinity merc for an orb/CL sorc?
    Should I just go pure light then just because of the infinity?

6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

A 'waste' in what sense? I thought you were making a sorc based around orb, not infinity.

As I said above, infi allows you to only spend one point in CM so you have enough points to max ice bolt while having a decent attack against immunes. Your orb should rip through hell. I say should, because I've never played with a level 40+ orb with (potentially) 55% increased cold damage and -200 enemy cold res. That's almost 2500 damage per shard (someone may need to correct me here). At level 89 your lightning max will be 9500 which, combined with infi, is more than enough to handle immunes.

7. interloop

interloop IncGamers Member

maxed Orb isn't nearly as bad as most people claim. They just go by the numbers in the Lying Character Screen and go "lol 700dmg? ****sux!" and completely disregard how the orb works mechanically. It's all about aim.

8. taxcut

taxcut IncGamers Member

My level 95 Orb/FB mfer has a setup similar to yours and boasts 860 orb, 6.4k FB, 15k Meteor... She can kill any monster in the game, it's a very viable build... Great for area clearing and boss killing...

Cold mastery only needs to be level 17 (-100% resist) with all gear equipped for F/O to be effective, especially with the -85% from an an Infinity... Monster resists can't be reduced lower than -100%, so you're really close to max... LVL 17 mastery (1 point in your case) gives more points for Max Fireball synergized with Meteor... Some people choose to synergize with Firebolt to save skill points, but I've found that Meteor damage is sometimes needed against large packs of cold immunes... Dual immune bosses are staticd and then held in place with telekinesis while my merc does his thing...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  9. Kronic

Kronic IncGamers Member

I personally can't understand why orb is so popular. I only ever tried an orb sorc once and that was my very first mf character, I got laughed at for only having 700 damage with a level 90 character and did not find the skill particularly effective on hell cows. So I built a blizzard sorc instead and have never looked back since.

10. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Its effectively 1400 per shard with a maxed mastery but I agree it doesnt so as much damage as any elemental no matter how cool it looks.

11. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

When you're used to other attacks doing over 40k max (lite tree) or blizzard shards doing 10k+, orb damage is lacking, even at per shard.