Pure MF Meteorb

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
Pure MF Meteorb

I realize that there are already Meteorb guides out there, but this one is focused entirely on MFing. The skills are exactly the same as most of the others, but The gearing, gameplay strategies, and stats are aimed towards good MFing and Keyrunning, with the exception of Nihlithak. If you want to MF and key run, this is a great, speedy build to do it with. As you may have guessed, the 2 main skills are Meteor and Frozen Orb. These 2 different elements plus your merc will be able to defeat any immunes you come up against. I personally have a level ** sorc with exactly this build, and I can tell you, she does wonders, and is fairly easy to afford. However, do not expect to be able to go solo past act 3 in Hell. You can take out Mephisto with little difficulty, but don't even bother trying the Chaos Sanctuary.

Skills:

This skill setup will have you using all 110 skill points available to you at level 99 with all quests done. Keep in mind that you will have a total of + 8 to all skills from your equipment. Focus on getting all the 1 point investment skills out of the way as soon as possible. Then get your Frozen Orb and Fireball maxed out. THrow 5 or so into Cold Mastery, then finish off Meteor. From there on, it's up to you.

Fire Tree:

Warmth - 1 point. Every sorc worth her salt needs a point in warmth. No more are necessary, because your merc will take care of all your mana regeneration needs, as you will see. I would get this covered after the first level and get it out of the way.

Fire Bolt - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Fireball - 20 points. Max this baby, this will be one of your main attack skills, for when you need fire damage faster than meteor can deliver it. Plus, it's a synergy for Meteor.

Meteor - 20 points. Another skill to max, it's half the build! Use it on enemies that will not be moving around a whole lot. Team up with a Bone Prison using Necro and you will make a hell of a duo.

Fire Mastery - 20 points. Max it, it can enable your fire attacks to do over 2x damage!

Cold Tree:

Ice Bolt - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Ice Blast - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Glacial Spike - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Blizzard - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it. WHAT?!? Yeah, that's right... only a prereq. Useless to you. Don't even be tempted.

Frozen Orb - 20 points. Max this baby, the ice side of the spectrum gets it's representation mostly though this skill.

Cold Mastery - 10 points. This will lower the enemy's resistance to your Frozen Orb.

Frozen Armor - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Shiver Armor - 10 points, just for that extra boost in defense while you're teleporting your icy fire mayhem all over the countryside. Also freezes any non-friendly thing it can find temporarily.

Chilling Armor - 1 point. Should you decide you want some long range protection, use this baby. It'll throw an icicle at anything that shoots at you. Don't invest more that 1 point in it though, you won't use it that often. Maybe when dueling a scary Amazon, but that's about it.

Lightning Tree:

Static Field - 1 point. If you are a sorceress, you need this skill. If you ever find a sorceress without this skill, ridicule and flame them.

Telekinesis - 1 point. It's a prerequisite. Don't even waste any more points on it.

Teleport - 1 point. If you are a sorceress, you need this skill. If you ever find a sorceress without this skill, ridicule and flame them.

Stats:

Stength - 144 without an anni or a torch, so you can wear a Spirit Monarch. yes, I know you need 156 Strength to wear that, I'm getting to it. Patience... Sheesh...

Dexterity - Nothing. Don't even bother.

Vitality - Everything else.

Energy - Again, don't bother unless you really must. Try to get a good Meditation level insight and Act 2 merc as soon as possible.

Gear:

Now remember, this is a MF/Key runner build, so the equipment will be based on that. Keep in mind, we are not overly concerned with resistances, most of mine are in the negatives, but I do just fine. I'd rather have the MF.

If you have a torch/anni/gheeds, they will be well used on this sorc.

Helm - Harlequin Crest (Unique Shako). The helm we all know and love. Get Larzuk to socket it and throw an Ist in that baby! This will give you an extra +2 to Strength to help wield your shield.

Armor - Skulldurs Ire (Unique Russet Armor). Socket and Ist this bad boy too, nothing better for MFing!

Belt - Goldwrap, of course (Unique Heavy Belt)! We don't need no steenking Arachnid's Mesh! We want MF! Up this to at least a Battle Belt with the Cube so you get a small armor boost if you've got a spare Ko lying around.

Gloves - Chance Guards (Unique Chain Gloves). Again, for the MF factor. Up these as well.

Boots - War Travelers (Unique Battle Boots)! Great MF, and lots of other great bonuses too! What MF sorc could ask for more?

Weapon - The Oculus (Unique Swirling Crystal). Now here's what I consider to be the only sorc weapon worth having. Awesome + to skills, and awesome MF to boot! It'll have even more when you socket it and throw an Ist in it! Woo hoo!

Shield: Spirit Monarch! What's not to like?

Amulet - I use Tal Rasha's Adjudication here for all kinds of fun bonuses, including +2 to skills. However, rare amulets are capable of spawning with + 2 to skills also, and probably better other mods for this build than Tal's amulet, which is based mostly on Lightning damage and resistance.

Rings - At least 1 Nagelring, for the MF, or course. You can use 2 if you like, but I prefer a Ravenfrost. It gives a HUGE mana boost, and keeps me immune to being frozen, which is a nice touch. I'd hate to be frozen while teleporting to and fro, then get hacked down because I can't move and my stupid merc died from IM assaults. You get the idea. So go with 1 Nagelring and 1 Ravenfrost if you can afford it.

Merc - Get your merc an Insight rune word (pole arms only, NOT spears or Javelins) as soon as possible. The rest of his equipment depends on what you can afford. Try to get him armor and a helm with VERY good defensive qualities, this guy will cost you a fortune in resurrection costs.

Gameplay:

This is NOT a dueling build. Not with this equipment setup anyway. So don't get cocky and try to take on any Chargers, Bonemancers, pr Windy Druids. It won't end well for you. Someone will feed their entire village for a week on the ears you'll lose. Enough of that, on to MFing.

I have a very strict MFing system that I adhere to in every MF game I make. I will usually run 10 MF games in a row, unless my stash gets overfilled. When your stash - listen, because this is important - when your stash gets near full and you are done your run in that game, offload everything onto mules before starting another game. You do NOT want to have to sacrifice any of your hard earned items to fit another hard earned item in your stash. I recommend carrying the Cube with you as you run, instead of in your stash, so that you can have the extra room in case you need it to avoid having to interrupt your run and go back to town.

I always hit the following locations in EVERY run I do (keep in mind, all these are in Hell mode):
1. Griswold in Tristram. He is THE most likely monster in the game to drop a Hoz. For the 20 seconds it takes, it's worth it. You will have to switch between Fireball and Frozen Orb to kill everything, watch out for Skeleton Archers. They'll kill you and your merc fairly quickly.

2. The Countess. She drops good runes, and has a 1/32 chance to drop you a Key of Terror. Be ready to switch between Frozen Orb for the Devilkin and Clans, and Fireball for everything else.

3. The Smith. He is the 2nd most likely monster in the game to drop a Hoz. Again, it takes 20 seconds, and when you find one from him, you will be glad you spent that 20 seconds. Use a frozen Orb to take out those pesky Devilkin in the corner, then throw fireballs and Meteors at him for a couple seconds.

4. Andariel. What can I say? She drops all kinds of useful things! Break out your frozen orb to take out the Devilkins and Zombies, and set a trap for Andariel by calling 4 or 5 Meteors down to between the first 2 pillars, where she will walk if you just take a few steps towards them. She'll fall easily, but if your merc gets poisoned, take him back to town if his HP is in the yellow BEFORE grabbing the drops. You don't want to take chances, merc's can get expensive if they die a lot.

5. The Summoner. The Arcane Sanctuary, Summoner included, is the 2nd best place for finding high runes, and the Summoner himself has a 1/32 chance of dropping a Key of Hate on his way out the mortal door. I recommend hurling a couple of Frozen Orbs into the midst of the enemies on the Summoner's Platform to kill the fire immunes (which sometimes spawn there), and slow everything else. Finish off with a Meteor or some fireballs.

6. Mephisto. Do you have to ask? What kind of MFer would NOT hit Mephisto? When you get to Durance level 3, tele directly to the upper left room with Wyand Voidbringer and the Ghoul Lords (10 o'clock from starting position) and take everyone in there out with your best fire assault. Then, WALK towards Mephisto, and he'll always go to a certain spot when you approach (you'll see when you get there). Set 3 or 4 fireballs there, then tele right up to him so your merc can whack away at him and and you can Static him to half life, then Meteor and Fireball him into Oblivion.

7. (Sometimes) Cows. This build is capable of soloing Hell Cows (carefully, I might add), but she runs a big risk of killing the King if she gets too fired up and doesn't pay attention. Use Fireball for the most part, and Meteor for those groups that clump around your merc, who should die pretty much as soon as the Meteor hits and kills the cows. It's bloody aggravating...

And there you have it! Your guide to a very powerful MFing build, and my personal favorite Sorceress to date! If there are any questions about this build, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Jackson

Diabloii.Net Member
The most useful of all MFing spots would be Baal, which is not included in your guide.

Of all the MFing builds out there, a MeteorOrb sorc is probably one of the builds that can do it. However, with your setup (lack of resists), I can foresee major problems...

Phalmos

Diabloii.Net Member
The most useful of all MFing spots would be Baal, which is not included in your guide.

Of all the MFing builds out there, a MeteorOrb sorc is probably one of the builds that can do it. However, with your setup (lack of resists), I can foresee major problems...
In my guide, I mention specifically that this build, with this equipment CANNOT solo beyond Mephisto in Hell. I also mention that it is a pure MF build, and that the resists will, in fact, be in the negatives. If you want to MF Baal, don't use this setup. If you want fast MF runs with excellent drops, use this build. This build is made for fast MF runs, not Hell Baal MF runs. I find that, in the time I could be going after Hell Baal, I'd personally rather go and do my entire next run instead and have more drops, increasing my Good Item:Time ratio. That's what this build is for. If you want to MF Hell Baal, nobody's stopping you. But that's not what this guide is for.