Telekinesis: 1
Teleport: 1
Energy Shield: 1
Lightning Mastery: 20

Ice Bolt: 1
Frozen Armor: 1
Ice Blast: 1
Shiver Armor: 1
Glacial Spike: 1 (cheap, effective crowd control)

Rest of points either in Telekinesis or Cold Mastery (it’s not going to do much for you but why not maximize your cold damage from Duress – fire and lightning damage are already maximized).

Gear:

“Dream” Diadem
Highlord’s Wrath
“Duress” Archon Plate
Up’d Nightsmoke
Laying of Hands
“Passion” Phase Blade
“Phoenix” Monarch
Up’d Gore Rider (str req is identical to monarch)
Carrion Wind
Stone of Jordan

Stats:
Str: 156
Dex: 136
Vit: Rest
Energy: Base

Misc:

Switch gear, mercs, charms, etc. have been covered elsewhere. No need to re-paste here.

Please share your thoughts on the viability of the build. I realize this is not the most optimal, min/maxed damage dealer possible, but I thought it would make a fun alternative to the dual-dream setups which seem overplayed and would actually utilize physical damage (especially when facing demons), not just fire and electricity. It's also important to note that critical break points are hit even w/ unlucky rolls on gear.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Pure Melee Zeal Enchantress

A zealot needs CBF, so a ravenfrost is a must. As for belt, I am thinking of string of ear's.

volgorth

Diabloii.Net Member

A zealot needs CBF, so a ravenfrost is a must. As for belt, I am thinking of string of ear's.
ok, the cbf i get, so would you lose the soj? carrion wind is a critical component in that it makes up for a deficiency in poison res and has the marginal benefit of minor life leach. also, the 10% dmg to mana ties in w/ nightsmoke's 50% which seems like it would be quite a bit more effective (when paired w/ energy shield) than string of ears' dr. i have virtually no other use for my mana pool. thanks for your feedback.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with AnimeCraze.

1) Your physical damage will suck. Entirely. So don't worry too much about leech. I ran a Zeal-Enchantress that focused on physical damage as a backup to fire, and she couldn't leech enough life back to keep up with her ~75% Energy Shield/max-resists/max-block (and your leech, block, and ES will likely be significantly worse than hers was). Dracul's Grasp (gloves) is almost a must for the LifeTap, otherwise you'll need to rely entirely on potions (or use a Prayer+Insight merc, which is a decent choice too).

2) The DamageToMana will NOT be enough to keep your Energy Shield running. Not even close. As a result, I think the EnergyShield (and mana-boosting equipment) can be dropped entirely and replaced by more melee-focused equipment... and String of Ears is a good choice.

3) Also, with all of those points you'll be spending in Str & Dex, you're going to have fairly low life (and ineffective leeching). A CtA on switch is a really, really good idea.

4) I think you'll want to make sure you have at least "+3 to All Skills" to get a 5-zeal-swings-per-cycle. It looks like you can reach this pretty easily, but keep it in mind if you decide to swap out some gear.

5) If you need poison resists, I'd almost prefer a Nature's Peace to the Carrion Wind. Less resists (you don't really NEED high poison resists anyways), but the RIP and PMH mods are tasty.

6) Don't forget to pre-buff your Enchant in town. The damage, AR and duration increase is well worth the hassle. Aim for at least +12 fire/Enchant skills (although +15 is more of a 'minimum', to me, and +20 is even better).

7) If you use Drac's gloves, you'll loose a couple of Zeal-IAS breakpoints. That might force you to using Treachery over Duress (or at least a Nos' Coil belt)... for me, that was the problem with this build: it feels like you need one more equipment slot to maintain all of the breakpoints that you'll want to maintain.

volgorth

Diabloii.Net Member

1) Your physical damage will suck. Entirely. So don't worry too much about leech. I ran a Zeal-Enchantress that focused on physical damage as a backup to fire, and she couldn't leech enough life back to keep up with her ~75% Energy Shield/max-resists/max-block (and your leech, block, and ES will likely be significantly worse than hers was). Dracul's Grasp (gloves) is almost a must for the LifeTap, otherwise you'll need to rely entirely on potions (or use a Prayer+Insight merc, which is a decent choice too).
Assuming 600% EDmg, and understanding that my physical damage is my tertiary means of attack, does my physical damage really suck that hard? The added life leech, though small, seems like it would be beneficial. LifeTap would, of course, be nice. Having said that, and as you mention in point 7 below, I think the loss to IAS would be a deal breaker. I'd rather make up for it via Merc.

2) The DamageToMana will NOT be enough to keep your Energy Shield running. Not even close. As a result, I think the EnergyShield (and mana-boosting equipment) can be dropped entirely and replaced by more melee-focused equipment... and String of Ears is a good choice.
Obviously a typical build like this would employ light skillers. Let's assume, we run fire skillers instead (bear w/ me on the theorycraft -- again, I know this is not optimal). In this scenario, I would only have +2 skills (which is honestly part of the benefit of this build) so my ES would be at 30%. If you further assume that I put 8 points (my remaining points as I continue to level) into Telekinesis, I think I would yield a true 30% dr. Here's some math to clarify this example:

Telekinesis: 8 (hard points)
Energy Shield: 3 (1 hard, 2 soft)
Vulpine %: 60
ES Dmg Reduction %: 30
Assumed Damage: 1000
Net Damage: 700
Mana Lost: 450
Mana Gained: 420
Net Mana: -30

So, with this setup, I have a true loss to mana of 3% of assumed damage. I would die from actual damage long before my ES would run out. Did I miss something here? I totally agree that if I loaded up on light skillers, my mana would be gone in 1 or 2 hits.

3) Also, with all of those points you'll be spending in Str & Dex, you're going to have fairly low life (and ineffective leeching). A CtA on switch is a really, really good idea.
Agreed. I didn't discuss switch gear or charms but I guess it's important to do so. Clearly I would need +Life stuff and CTA is a no-brainer.

4) I think you'll want to make sure you have at least "+3 to All Skills" to get a 5-zeal-swings-per-cycle. It looks like you can reach this pretty easily, but keep it in mind if you decide to swap out some gear.
+2 skills puts me at 4 hits. Obviously the higher this goes, the better the AR and damage, but am I really at a disadvantage of not getting that last swing in? How big of a deal is 4 vs. 5? I honestly don't know.

5) If you need poison resists, I'd almost prefer a Nature's Peace to the Carrion Wind. Less resists (you don't really NEED high poison resists anyways), but the RIP and PMH mods are tasty.
I think Nature's Peace would be a downgrade. It would kill off my Redemption Aura benefit from "Phoenix". It would be lower PRes. It does have PMH but I have OW from other gear (they effectively do the same thing, right?). I would be giving up 10% of my DmgToMana and mediocre life leech.

6) Don't forget to pre-buff your Enchant in town. The damage, AR and duration increase is well worth the hassle. Aim for at least +12 fire/Enchant skills (although +15 is more of a 'minimum', to me, and +20 is even better).
I totally agree w/ pre-buffing in town. No argument here.

7) If you use Drac's gloves, you'll loose a couple of Zeal-IAS breakpoints. That might force you to using Treachery over Duress (or at least a Nos' Coil belt)... for me, that was the problem with this build: it feels like you need one more equipment slot to maintain all of the breakpoints that you'll want to maintain.
I don't think I could give up the IAS as already discussed. I would sacrifice some optimization to keep my "Duress" as well. For me, it's a part of the flavor of the build, despite how quirky it may seem.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I really enjoy these kinds of discussions.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Regarding Leech: Like I said - I went with as much physical damage as I could get, and my leech was completely insignificant. And this was with 75% ES, max-block, and max-resists. You won't have the block and ES I had, so you'll take even more damage against swarms... meaning you'll need a lot more leech/damage to counter that (although I forgot about the Redemption aura - that'll help).

If you don't want to use Drac's (understandable), definitely look at a Prayer merc wielding Insight... the ~60 life per second regenerated is quite nice for a sorc that gets hit often.

Regarding ES: Well, you can try it. Of the ~5 times I've tried ES on various builds, I've always come to the conclusion that ES completely sucks for PvM - even when I devoted a lot of skillpoints into it. Hopefully you'll have a better experience than I've had, but I'll be surprised if you do.

Regarding the ring: Yeah, I forgot about the Redemption aura. Nature's Peace isn't a good fit then. BKWB (leech and +life) might be better than SoJ though, assuming you find your mana supply to be sufficient without the SoJ. I'd still take a Ravenfrost (if you can't get CBF elsewhere) over either of those though - it's really important. In fact, Ravenfrost would be my first choice for one of the ring slots, no matter what.

Regarding Zeal cycle: I can't really tell you if the extra attack is worth it for sure, but I suspect it is. I definitely wished for a longer-cycle/faster-attack with my Zeal Enchantress, but I'm sure 4-hits can be sufficient.

Regarding CBF: I know you want the DTM from Nightsmoke, but if you find you NEED CBF and want to keep your rings as you've planned them, you might want to consider Trang-Oul's Belt. It's got decent mods, and that all-important CBF

volgorth

Diabloii.Net Member

Regarding Leech: Like I said - I went with as much physical damage as I could get, and my leech was completely insignificant. And this was with 75% ES, max-block, and max-resists. You won't have the block and ES I had, so you'll take even more damage against swarms... meaning you'll need a lot more leech/damage to counter that (although I forgot about the Redemption aura - that'll help).
Ok. Life leech was never a significant part of the build so I'll just not even worry about it. I never expected it to be sufficient... merely a nice, albeit tiny, bonus from my gear selection.

If you don't want to use Drac's (understandable), definitely look at a Prayer merc wielding Insight... the ~60 life per second regenerated is quite nice for a sorc that gets hit often.
I think a Prayer merc would be a great choice. I don't need a Holy Freeze aura as I have the single point in Glacial Spike for my cc needs.

Regarding ES: Well, you can try it. Of the ~5 times I've tried ES on various builds, I've always come to the conclusion that ES completely sucks for PvM - even when I devoted a lot of skillpoints into it. Hopefully you'll have a better experience than I've had, but I'll be surprised if you do.
I totally see your point and I think the reason ES has gotten such a bad wrap PvM-wise is that everyone typically loads up on +skills gear/charms. In my case, my build actually minimizes +skills to gain other abilities and this happens to have the side effect of creating sustainable ES (read damage reduction).

Regarding the ring: Yeah, I forgot about the Redemption aura. Nature's Peace isn't a good fit then. BKWB (leech and +life) might be better than SoJ though, assuming you find your mana supply to be sufficient without the SoJ. I'd still take a Ravenfrost (if you can't get CBF elsewhere) over either of those though - it's really important. In fact, Ravenfrost would be my first choice for one of the ring slots, no matter what.
I totally agree w/ your assessment that a Ravenfrost is important. I think my build can tolerate dropping the SoJ for it. Here's what we get w/ the swap:

Telekinesis: 4 (hard points - down from 8)
Energy Shield: 2 (1 hard, 1 soft)
Vulpine %: 60
ES Dmg Reduction %: 25 (down from 30)
Assumed Damage: 1000
Net Damage: 750 (up from 700)
Mana Lost: 437.5 (down from 450)
Mana Gained: 450 (up from 420)
Net Mana: 12.5 (up from -30)

So, at the loss of +1 skill and 5%dr, I gain all the benefits of Ravenfrost, limitless (theoretically) mana, and 4 skill points.

Regarding Zeal cycle: I can't really tell you if the extra attack is worth it for sure, but I suspect it is. I definitely wished for a longer-cycle/faster-attack with my Zeal Enchantress, but I'm sure 4-hits can be sufficient.
Hmm... dunno how bad the ring swap is gonna be but I do only get 3 attacks now, not 4. Clearly not moving in the right direction here but I gotta work w/ what is possible. :)

Regarding CBF: I know you want the DTM from Nightsmoke, but if you find you NEED CBF and want to keep your rings as you've planned them, you might want to consider Trang-Oul's Belt. It's got decent mods, and that all-important CBF
Nightsmoke is core to my build so Trang's belt is not an option. I agree w/ your selection of Ravenfrost. Thanks again for your suggestions and criticism.

Jaquiezz

Diabloii.Net Member

You seem to have completely disregarded FCR, having the ability to position yourself and move around the map at a decent pace are necessary, even for a melee build. At 13 frames, your tele is unusable, it really won't help much. Try to shoot for the 37% bp, as this is easily achievable and gives you a decent cast rate. Drop your LoH, as your Physical damage is paltry, and grab some mages.

You seem to be really set on nightsmoke, but DTM is not a great mod in PvM, and you really don't need it. You have maxed warmth and an insight merc. You have absolutely massive regen, somewhere on the line of 1000%+ You won't even notice mana burners when you zeal, it will be like you are constantly popping mana pots. Not to mention you have redemption going, and you only have a 30% ES. Your blue orb will never drop past 1/2 save for mana burners, and it will jump back so fast you will never even notice. DTM doesn't work with all damage types and can't be relied on for constant mana. Just get an arach, you could really use the +skills and the FCR far more than a cutesy useless little mod like DTM.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I agree that magefist is probably better than laying of hands. I wouldn't prefer duress either. If you really want physical damage, a fort may be better. And a 5-attack zeal is a must. +3 to all skills isn't hard to get at all. I think the carrion wind is good. Not only the poison res, but also the ctc twister. It stuns enemies for 10 frames. it's affected by next delay though, so an enemy can only get hitt by them once per second. Still, it will make the enemies stunned almost 40% of the time. That's not bad.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

I find that if you want leech, dracs + might merc will provide enough. Nothing like a real zealot's leech, but still enough in most cases. I agree with lumpor. Fort will boost physical damage. I myself wouldn't care about FCR, as if you really need to tele, just stick a wizard spike on switch.

One thing I missed, can I ask why you are using 1 dream? Might as well use a shako or guillaume's if you don't want to use dream, or dual dream if you do.

volgorth

Diabloii.Net Member

I find that if you want leech, dracs + might merc will provide enough. Nothing like a real zealot's leech, but still enough in most cases. I agree with lumpor. Fort will boost physical damage. I myself wouldn't care about FCR, as if you really need to tele, just stick a wizard spike on switch.

One thing I missed, can I ask why you are using 1 dream? Might as well use a shako or guillaume's if you don't want to use dream, or dual dream if you do.
yeah, my plan is to have something like wizard spike and "Spirit" on switch. i'd have a cta in my inventory for buffing. as for "Fortitude", no doubt it's the better armor overall. my selection of "Duress" was primarily for the FHR and CB mods. i hit the 60% bp w/ it and i figured CB was gravy since, as many people pointed out, my physical damage would still be meager. i guess in an ideal world, and if i were rich enough, i'd have both and could see which one feels better. at this point, i'm not rich and this is all theorycraft. this will be my third time to play this game and i've never explored this route. hence the post and the welcoming of ideas and criticisms.

regarding "Phoenix" vs. another "Dream", i'd like to play up my fire skill more than the lightning. sure it may not be optimal. i'm ok w/ that. this build is as much for flavor and personal preference as it is anything else. i think most every "optimal" build has been conceived by now. i'm out to have fun and yet still have a viable build.

i won't be winning any awards or community respect w/ this build but i will certainly enjoy trying it out (one of these days, once the wealth comes back). again, thank you for all the points made and constructive criticism. :thumbup:

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I think either you should focus on dreams, fire damage, physical damage, or cb. If you're trying to get all of them it won't work that well.

DH Amazon

Diabloii.Net Member

I think either you should focus on dreams, fire damage, physical damage, or cb. If you're trying to get all of them it won't work that well.
It work just nicely, mine uses.
Fleshripper+Fortitude (25fcr is nice) gives solid physical damage, slow, crush, open wounds and cannot heal. Nice 9frame attack.
Dream diadem gives enough Lightning damage with max L-mastery. Around 8k average. Add 2xraven and with rest in cold mastery, you have tiny cold damage in addition.
Good enchant gives about 8-12k average fire damage.
Max block with Stormshield and she can tank almost anything. Around 1400 life, so no need to use BO. Using switch for moving purpose only.
At switch wizpike+spirit, gives 110fcr with forty, so she can tele around at nice speed.

No immune problems as every double immune goes down just nicely.
Can clear any tc85 areas (if not iron maiden) just fine in full games. Good for rushing, as full hell travi is easy too. Can tank and kill full game andy, duri, meph just fine. Can do cat and mouse with Nihla and jump right over him.
Ancients go down nicely too, even tried these couple times for fun, while testing sorc.

Sure double dream+zeal kills faster, but those aren't as robust or as versatile.