Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure melee and Ubering

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by fujisai, Sep 16, 2006.

1. fujisai

fujisai IncGamers Member

Pure melee and Ubering

So I'm having a few issues with ubering. And was wondering if maybe you guys had some ideas. I have a kind of unique build, but I can't stand up to lillith or mephisto right now.

Here's what I use

head: dream
    weap: Ebotdz
    body: CoH dusk
    shield: dream
    gloves: soul drainers (7/6)
    belt: Gloom's trap
    Boots: Waterwalk
    ring1: SOJ
    ring2: perf ravenfrost
    Some various life/AR charms, but not much. No skill charms yet
    20/15 sorc torch
    18/13/x anni

Skills are:
    20 tele
    1 teleport
    1 es
    20 light mastery

20 warmth
    20 enchant
    1 fire mastery (so far)
    various prereq points

merc:
    helm: Andy Visage
    armor: Stone
    weap: Eth Infinity Giant Thresher

Now granted I already have a 40K melee from the dream and lightning mastery. Also I have a pretty high physical damage (gotta watch out for IM) and the dual leeching even in hell lets me stay alive with little to no potion usage. The general idea is a low ES (at around 55 or so) that soaks up a lot, then leaves the rest to high resists. I leech enough life and mana to make this a pretty self-sufficient build. I don't do it as bear cuz I port around a lot and pretty much dodge things manually. I prefer this over passion because passion makes me drink much more pots.

Setting up ubering, I solo melee down izual without a problem, and solo melee down duriel with a little luck and drinking potions every 5-10 sec or so. If the merc is there though, duriel dies without too much issue. However, when I get to lillith, BOOM! I'm toast.

resists are 75 across the board. Yet when I'm trying to melee her or anything, she just takes out chunks of life, and the poison keeps hurting. My merc dies in a second also against her. I can't seem to do anything to get her life down before I'm in critical danger. No amount of leech seems to be enough to equalize against her.

Going in on a separate uber game, the same happens with Diablo and Baal, not problem equalizing with the melee, but I can't touch Meph without having to port out.

Any ideas on how to finish a melee sorc for lillith and mephisto? Am I going to have to cop out and cheat with a spell or something? Is it impossible to melee build kill those 2?

Interested in your opinions (those that have made melee sorcs and done ubering before)

-Fujisai

P.S. yes, it's incredibly fun playing this char. You're invulnerable walking death to everything that doesn't cast IM.

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I'm surprised that you don't rely on Life Tap at all, which seems to be essential for all the uber builds I've heard of. Is it intentional, or have you tried using Dracul instead of Soul Drainer? I've no personal experience with melee sorc for ubers, so just speculating.
    There's another post here recently about melee sorc handling ubers. That build is slightly different from yours. Maybe you can take a look.
    Edit: the post I mentioned is here.

3. emar

emar IncGamers Member

My suggestion is to carry a LT wand on the switch to try and leech any damage back with them. If you are actually doing reasonable physical damage, that may work.

Additionally, drink some Antidote potions before heading down to Lilith.

DR! You need some if you want to go toe to toe with a heavy meleer. At minimum pre-buff Fade from Treach - every little bit helps.

If your merc can somewhat hold his own against Lilith put GFace on him, and possibly Duress or another source of CB. It may take some ressurections but you can take her out.

Meph is immune to lightning. You won't injure him with a massive light damage melee. My suggestion is to try to swap in some CB gear if you can 1) Hit consistently 2) Tank him.

It'll be slow moving but worth a shot.

Speaking from experience CB should be a main focus of yours. CB will eat Meph easily - This is experience from taking a Pure Singer Barb wielding Eternity into ubers solo. :rolleyes:

4. fujisai

fujisai IncGamers Member

thanks for the responses.

I do have a dracs, but it doesn't help that much. First off because

A) the time it takes lifetap to activate, is random, and inconsistent.
    B) I wanted to make a build that was self-sufficient

Also when fighting lilith, my health just gets dangerously low too fast for dracs to even activate.

yeah I tried antidote potions, but her melee and her spray both poison you. So you drink a potion every second soon enough to counteract. And it's just wasteful.

Hmm I'll try it. I get 8 from COH, and another 15 more from Dungo at best. but since 50% of everything goes to ES already, it's not noticeable really to use a lot of DR%

ok maybe CB then I guess. Though I haven't finished my Last Wish yet. (am I a barb or a sorc?!)

I guess a whole gear swap is necessary for these bosses

5. fujisai

fujisai IncGamers Member

the various uber vids like dream of winter's is what inspired me to do this. I wanted to make something a bit different though, purely melee really. I think eternity might be a good idea, but he backs it up with a heavy bliz and ice bolts. I really don't have that capability in this build since it's mainly centered around huge phys/fire/light dmg and a self-sustaining life/mana leech with an ES.

hmm.. maybe sneak eternity in and melee when no one's looking...

edit: I meant eternity for revives

6. soonborn

soonborn IncGamers Member

Drink several of the antidote potions before you fight not while you fight. They stack if you drink lots of them and will last plenty long enough to fight lilith.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

yeah, you're drinking the antidotes not so much for the antidote part, but for the poison resist I believe.

Remember to stack you resists against meph as well. That -120 from conviction hurts.

8. dreamofwinter

dreamofwinter IncGamers Member

hey fujisai, nice build.

I would recommend wearing marrowwalks or using a lifetap wand, since you pointed out correctly that you'll be long dead by the time the 5% life tap from dracul's grasp procs. I'd also recommend wearing laying of hands, which will give you IAS and a huge (+350%) enhanced damage vs demons, greatly improving your leeching.

As you stated, for a melee sorc, uber baal/diablo/duriel/izzy are pushovers. :)

vs. Lilith, drink tons of andidote potions ahead of time. they will give you +10% max poison resist for 30 seconds each, and drinking multiple ones will causes duration to stack. Do this for your merc and give him an Andy's Visage, and he should be able to survive once you've lifetapped Lilith.

vs. Mephy, you won't be able to do any significant lightning damage, so I'd recommend dropping the 2x dreams for an Um'd kiras (for resists) and a Phoenix shield (for +400 Enhanced Damage and -28 enemy fire resistance.) Once you have maxed fire mastery, you should be doing close to 10k fire melee damage, so if you can open wounds him to stop his regeneration and stay alive, you'll take him down.

If you're on US East, look me up-- I'll give you some pointers and maybe we can go uber hunting.

9. afflix

afflix IncGamers Member

ye uber hunting is fun with you dream lol. we had some enteresting things happen huh :p

10. fujisai

fujisai IncGamers Member

thx for the tips! Yeah after the antidote thing and the lifetap cast it seems a bit smoother. But my merc still dies relatively fast. (not sure why, maybe needs better than stone for armor) I end up solo tanking it almost all the time. ugh... Will try the lay of hands next time.

Hmmm yeah I was thinking of going Kiras/Stormshield for a bit, but then I was wondering how the hell I would kill him. Will try the phoenix when I get a shot.

Well that'd be awesome.. cept I'm on UsWest. Damn. (hey.. maybe next ladder reset, if it ever happens)

Actually, after all this, I'm starting to move a bit away from the dual dream idea. It's great damage, except as soon as a lightning resist pops up, or a boss that requires you to swap gear all around, you're a bit stuck. Playing around with LastWish Zerker was fun, cept the swing rate is way too slow to be effective. (Last Wish in a Phase Blade?!)

I like the idea of high Physical/Fire/Lightning damage, but I'm wondering whether there's better survivability outside of dual dream. (after all, I'm not leeching anything from the lightning damage, and it's really overkill half the time). Maybe just going high Phys/Fire back to some of the older enchantress builds would be better for ubering.

Ah well, kinda poor now after all this gear and the LW zerker, but maybe in a bit I'll have enough to try a new melee build.

Thx all for the tips.