Pure Fire Druid in Hell

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
Pure Fire Druid in Hell

my pure fire druid (all skill points in first 4 fire skills except 1 point for Oak Sage) is making his way through NM and all is going pretty well. My original conception was to eventually switch to an EarthShifter Thunder Maul for the +7 to elemental skills and the free Ravens, but the str req on it is absurd and would otherwise be wasted. Plus, I lose the benefits of a shield. Of course, my original conception was to melee as well as spellcast (as I believe was Blizzard's original conception of the class or at least the elemental aspect of it) but the speed on a Thunder Maul is so slow as to be worthless even for use between timered spells.

However, I have this:
Stone
Superior Shadow Plate
'ShaelUmPulLum'
Defense: 2220
Durability: 77 of 78
Required Strength: 230
Required Level: 64
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x9ec7571e
+16 to Strength
+10 to Energy
+16 to Vitality
+260% Enhanced Defense
+38% Enhanced Defense
+300 Defense vs. Missile
All Resistances +15
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
60% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 16 Molten Boulder (47/80 Charges)
Level 16 Clay Golem (14/16 Charges)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

which would give him a nice gumby to help out. If I go with this & the maul, the points in str don't feel so wasted. is this a viable idea? Note that I don't care about being able to solo Baal at P8 or something absurd like that. In fact, I usually MP this guy so I just want to be able to contribute to a team.

Or would I be better off putting those points in Vit and just going with Earthshaker and some caster shield?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I would say go with Stone and Earthshifter. It's cool. Especially when you don't use the character for runs, just for fun.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Stone's molten boulder synergy wouldn't work seeing as you've already invested points in MB.

using the two of them could lead to a cool build. chuck a point into lycan, werebear and maul and you might manage to hit some things. and then you'll be able to get shockwave too.

ahcw

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I for one would much rather go for Vit/Block with the Earthshaker/shield and just use molten bolder/volcano for immunes.

That being said, I think the Earthshifter build could work, but you'd probably find yourself not even meleeing with it anyways so it would end up being a waste.

No matter which you choose I'm sure you'll be fine since fire druids are sooo much fun to play as :).

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
you could also jam a -req jewel into your shifter. and then load up on +str gear. jalals, CoH (i think you have one?), marrowwalks.

you could get away with under 150 base str i think.

ahcw

Diabloii.Net Member
corax said:
you could also jam a -req jewel into your shifter. and then load up on +str gear. jalals, CoH (i think you have one?), marrowwalks.

you could get away with under 150 base str i think.
Make that -req jewel a hel rune and it'll help even more :thumbsup:

PyroStock

Diabloii.Net Member
If you use Earthshifter definitely socket it with a Hel to save yourself 50stat points.

my original conception was to melee as well as spellcast
The only Fire skills I've been able to do that with are Volcano and Armageddon. Pelts can give you +Armageddon and your points in Fissure give it great long duration (my Armageddon is at 38seconds with 14 hard points in Fissure) and your +skills combined with all your synergies will give it decent damage (my Armageddon is only ~1000, but he's not pure Fire and I've been lucky to not find any Elementalist charms). I've found the timers are too short on Fissure & MoultenBoulder to melee or use a bow, but the timers themselves make them impossible to spam smoothly. I'm impressed with Fissure in Hell, but I hate the 1/2second limbo where you can't do anything.

For melee Earthshifter comes in at 22frames, Earthshaker at 20frames and Hexfire at 19frames. A shael might make them a little faster, but if you want to melee I would keep one of those to cast Volcano/Armageddon and then weapon-switch to a real melee weapon. It's easy once you get used to it.

The ideal weapon for a Fire Meleementalist would be a Hand of Justice with it's speed, great ED bonus, ITD, -20fire resist and some other sweet mods. But the runes are insane to find.

Edit: I just hit L93 so I'm at 38sec Armageddon now

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
HBeachBabe said:
However, I have this:
Stone
Superior Shadow Plate
'ShaelUmPulLum'
Defense: 2220
Durability: 77 of 78
Required Strength: 230
Required Level: 64
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x9ec7571e
+16 to Strength
+10 to Energy
+16 to Vitality
+260% Enhanced Defense
+38% Enhanced Defense
+300 Defense vs. Missile
All Resistances +15
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
60% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 16 Molten Boulder (47/80 Charges)
Level 16 Clay Golem (14/16 Charges)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

which would give him a nice gumby to help out.
Thats the main reason i made my Stone armour in a normal is the price of charges.

Ondal's Wisdom +4
Mang Song's Lesson +5
Heart of the Oak and Lidless Wall +4

This options gives you + all skills in my opinion is better then + to elemental skills that way you can use Oak Siege and other minions.

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
do +to all skills, +to druid skills and +to druid summoning skills increase the levels on ravens from Earthshifter, spirit wolves from Crescent Moon & Poison Creeper from Carrion Wind?

HBeachBabe said:
to +to all skills, +to druid skills and +to druid summoning skills increase the levels on ravens from Earthshifter, spirit wolves from Crescent Moon & Poison Creeper from Carrion Wind?
+skills of any kind only work on Oskills, not charges, IIRC.

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
There is really no point in getting a high def armor for a druid (except a high level bear), especially spell casters. You'll still have crap defence as you have no skill to enhance it. I'd go with a shield, as most of your spell are short ranged. For free ravens, try a ravenlore, complete with -fire resist too.