Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure Charger. Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by .Achilles, Mar 31, 2004.

1. .Achilles

.Achilles IncGamers Member

Pure Charger. Help Needed.

Im making a pure charger because ... ive always wanted to make one lol.

Heres my planned setup.
    20 might
    20 to vigor
    20 Charge
    20 to holy shield.
    20 to ?????

I plan on using a big 2 hander with maximum 6 range. From what ive heard the charge bug doenst affect 2 handers. The giant range can be devastating with charge.

Im not using any smite at all. I just plan on having a shield / 1 hander on swich. The tactic will be basically running around with high speed vigor and holy shield, dodging and parrying. Just running arround my opponent until an opening occurs then go in for the kill. Just before i charge, ill switch to the big 2 hander and the dmg aura.

My question is this now. What aura should i Use. Fanat or Concentration. I plan on stalking up on 3/xx/xx charms. The reason id rather not use skill charms is becase charge and its 2 synergy are all on separate trees. I think a stash full of 3/xx/xx charms will add some much needed ar , life and ofcourse dmg.

I made another thread asking about how concentration works.
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=163723

If that 20% chance of uniterupted hit applies to pvp? And whether connecting with a decent charge will be a problem if im not up the *** with AR.

Also, what should i pump, vitality, or dex?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

2. Any1

Any1 Banned

I don't know what the magic AR number for Charge is in PvP. My guess is that it's well over 10K. There's a few ways to get around any AR issues:

1. Fanaticism
    2. Blessed Aim (hidden AR bonus)
    3. Angelic Amulet and Ring(s)
    4. Use Demon Limb for slvl 23 Enchant Charges (672 seconds, AR +% 218)
    5. Steel GCs (up to +132 to AR)
    6. Raven Frost

(note: #4 might be BM in PvP)

I wouldn't start puming dex beyond a 110-120 base until you've exhausted all other AR-boosting avenues.

If you can solve your AR problem without using any skill points, consider pumping Holy Freeze. A decent radius HF will work really well with Charge in PvP.

3. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Do not forget that charge locks up now.. unless there is a new way around it... if not I suggest having on switch another good shield and weap so if you do lock up, you can switch and still keep doing damage without having to switch back and lose time.

~KBob

4. .Achilles

Sorry i just got back to 1.10 .
    What you mean "lock up",

do you mean those momemtary hiccups that occur when your charging? Those always happened even in 1.09. Is there something im missing?

5. knuckle_sammich

knuckle_sammich IncGamers Member

I would go with 20 fana for the bonus in ar as well as damage.
    Remember, the more ar you have, the better and fana gives that with a side dish of damage, oh yeah!
    the charge bug they are referring to is, on occassion when you try to use charge nothing happens and you have to leave and rejoin a game.

6. Dementor

Dementor Banned

I have a few two-hander pallys, one of which is pure charge.

Yes, having no shield does seem to negate the charge bug; however, if you have a shield in the weapons switch, you'll still lock up. Why, I don't know.

So I'd say just bite the bullet and go for no shield at all; you can make up for the lack of res with a weapon like Tomb Reaver with it's innate resists, or Hellslayer with its sweet +vit. Obviously, with no shield, don't max holy shield.

As for your aura, go for fanat; the AR is greatly needed, and the damage is higher, and in those cases where you accidentally "charge" too close, the resulting attack take up less of your time.

After maxing charge, vigor, might, and fanat, you'll be in your 70's. From there you'll be in a better position to see what it is your character needs; needs more AR? pump Blessed Aim. Needs resists? Invest in salvation. Needs HP/Mana regen? Meditation/Prayer or Redemtion migth be better... but that's something to think about WAY down the road.

I assume you'll be PvPing; chargers don't doo too well in PvM.

7. .Achilles

Thnx for the pointers there guys.

Ok so i take it that AR is critically important here.

Well if im going to lose the shield alltogether, why dont I just forget about fanat?

I mean Blessed Aim adds more ar than fanat right? So what do i need fanat for? Fanat adds dmg (which i have plenty of), ias (which i useless for charge), and ar.

But blessed aim > fanat in the ar department. So why dont i max blessed aim and holy shield. I need the shield because I want to dance around opponents illusively then suddenly switch to the big two hander and send them to their maker.

8. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Blessed aim = a *passive hidden* AR bonus if I do remember
    Fanat = LOADS of Dmg

Think about it, that damage boost to make it a 1hit kill, that is what you want.

~Kbob

9. .Achilles

Are you saying blessed aim gives a passive ar bous to fanat?

10. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Ya, I agree with kbob, chargers only real stregth is a good one can 1 hit ko basically any char. If you take away that, you will lose many more duels. Your lucky to get one hit on a good dueler, much less 2 or 3.

11. .Achilles

Yes I agree with that. But the question is am I gaining dmg by giving up % chance to land a blow.

Whats the point of doing huge dmg if i dont land the blow often enough?

12. Newest Newb

Newest Newb IncGamers Member

You can invest into blessed aim, like you were thinking earlier.
    This will give you 5% passive bonus to your AR per level (hidden. Like the resistance auras giving plus to max resists.) at all times.
    So maybe after you max your skills, and still think you need more AR, try blessed aim. Or you could try hitting them while they run.