Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure Blizzard sorc MF guide. Guide to find meph incl. ifra

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by kuza, Mar 18, 2004.

1. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

Pure Blizzard sorc MF guide. Guide to find meph incl.

PURE BLIZZARD SORC.
    ---------------------

your end goal is, besides pre reqs.

20 blizz - first thing you max
    20 Ice Blast - I maxed this second since I put so many points to it early
    20 G spike - Better to max this before Ice bolt, since bolt is useless
    15+ Ice Bolt - last synergy to max, you could max Cold mastery before this.
    15+ Cold mastery. at least 15 before you max off ice bolt. Make sure you put one to this right when you hit level 30. It helps a TON.

1 to Frozen armour <- Just one for added protection when getting to meph.
    1 to warmth.
    1 to teleport.
    1 to static field.

Skill/attribute order.
    I used ice blast a lot in the lower levels before level 24. so I put all my extra skills to this untill I hit 24, and then pumped blizzard till I maxed it. Then I pumped ice blast and Cold mastery together till CM was at least 15, then I went on to max Ice blast/Glacial spike/Ice bolt (last) and now I'm putting the rest into cold mastery which is currently at 24 with items (lvl 89 cold sorc). I'm doing 4.5 k blizz damage with 520 MF gear on. And if you calculate in the -resistance form the cold mastery, it's doing like 11-12 K damage to most monsters.
    Attributes:
    I pumped my strength at the start untill I reached 105 (more then enoguh for war travs and skulders) and then dex till it hit 75 (wizardspike), the rest went into vitality. I dind't go max block since I want to MF and hense the rhyme shield. Besides, the Merc take most of my hits.

Get an Act 2 nightmare defense merc. His holy freeze aurora will help slow down anything that gets past your blizzard. Even cold immune will get hit. It also helps for when you teleport around, the monsters get a little stun effect from the HF aurora. Of course you can get a Doom runeword pole and a might merc to get both auroras.

Target Merc gear:
    Reapers toll - Best merc weapon in my opinion. Tomb reaver is good too.
    Vampires gaze - Great leech and damage reduction
    Upgraded duriels shell or shaftstop - Duriels is what I use for resists & CBF.

Teleporting around: You'll want somethign with FCR(fast cast rate), doesn't affect blizzard at all, so you only need it when you teleport around. Once you start to fight, switch weapons back to your +skills or +magic find wand/weapon/ sheild.

Target items: Based on the gear I use now, 520 MF

For Teleporting;
    Wizzard spike +50 FCR and 75 all resists.
    Lidless wall with 1 P.Diamond +20 FCR and 19 all resists.
    If you get hit a lot: Rockstopper helm (FHR)
    and Bladebuckle belt (FHR). Switch back to MF helm and belt when you reach your destination.

For Magic finding / fighting
    Occulus or Deaths fathom. I like the occy for the +50 mf
    Rhymed superior grim shield / trolls nest. +25 MF +CBF + resists
    Shako with P.Topaz hat +74 MF
    Skulders with P.Topaz + 130 MF
    War travelers MF boots + 45 MF
    Chance guard gloves +38 MF
    I use upgraded goldwrap +30 MF but a snowclash can help as well. +2 to blizzard and the cold obsorb helps. Use this to level up.
    I used ot use Tals ammy but now I use Maras.
    28 Nagel ring & 32 MF ring.
    38 MF Gheeds and various 4-5 smfc

I can also use a 35 MF ammy but I find the extra 35 MF won't do much in the 500s anyway.

Secret way to finding meph!!!!
    -----------------------------
    After having it explained to me a few times, I finaly figured it out, and it works 100% of the time.

Ok, first look at the room you started in. The WP room. Now, look at the door leading out of the room, Top right, Top left, bottom right or bottom left. Let's say for this example it's door opens to the bottom right. Now, the room with the door down to level 3, will be turned 90 degrees clockwise. In other words, the door of the room will be pointing to the bottom left. As if you just turned the whole start room 90 degrees. Now, most of the time the durrance is a diamond shape, and sometimes has the butterfly effect where it breaks along some walls with a large moat. This will screw you up the first few times, but you'll get used to it.

So knowing now that the room leading to level 3, opens to the bottom left, you know it's going to be a room along the top right wall. Unless of course it's one of the few rooms near a "moat" butterfly effec. so 90% of the time, if you just tele along the top right wall, you'll find it. Just B-line it to the far corner and do a clockwise run of the area.

I wish I could upload a picture, cause I could draw it pretty easily. It's a pain in the butt to explain.

Just look at the room you start in, and you'll start to know where to loook for it's 90 degree clockwise counter part. Hope this helps!

2. cowtestickles

cowtestickles IncGamers Member

if u uplaoded a pic that would rock cause i don't understand but if thats right that would rock, cause latly i been tempted to dl map hack seeing how it takes me 2 min to find the room some times

3. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

ok when you start on level 2, walk out the door of that room, and head LEFT. It'll be in that direction in a clockwise rotation. That will help you at the start. Then go back and read my previous guide when you start to get the hang of it.

I do meph runs in 30 seconds. No map hack.

4. Dark-LYNX

Dark-LYNX IncGamers Member

Nice guide. :thumbsup:

5. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

tks! Been working for me :)

6. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

Would this work also for a Blizz-Sorc's gear?

Helm: Ptopaz Shako
    Armor: Ptopaz Tal
    Gloves: Chance
    Belt: Tal
    Wep/Shield: Wizspike/Rhyme (when I get a shael) with a skull collector on switch for MF
    Boots: Silkweave
    Rings/Ammy: Nagel/22MF ring & Tals ammy (when I can actually find one)

I don't have access to that other stuff you listed, so I can only go with what I have. Was just wondering if that would work well too.

7. Blazing Mary

Blazing Mary IncGamers Member

FCR question

I read somewhere that you should have at least 63% Faster Cast Rate when Teleporting around. Currently I have 80% FCR. Eschuta's Temper +40, MageFist gloves +20 and Lidless Wall +20. I was wondering how it is that someone has figured out how much FCR you need and how you know the next break is at 128%?

Also, I have an extra Eschuta's Temper if somebody has an extra Skulder's. I currently wear a non-upgraded (no Runes) Duriel's Shell.

USWest
    *LordGawain (BlazingMary)

8. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Few notes:

You say FCR doesn't affect blizzard at all, but that's nonsense, it makes the casting time shorter which makes it much easier to fire and run. This doesn't matter when you have a mercenary though, and indeed you won't cast more blizzards with FCR.

Cold mastery should be at level 32 before maxing out the last synergy. Cold mastery will do much more than the third synergy.

For a decent merc helmet i can recommend Crown of thieves, it's better than gaze in my opinion because of the extra life, dex, life leech etc.

@starseed: sure that'll work just fine :)
    @blazing mary: 63 or 105 faster casting for teleporting. Don't know where you got 128...
    @threadstarter: you can email me and i'll upload the picture for you :)

9. Strider_pt

Strider_pt IncGamers Member

what about stat points?

10. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

You are aware that resists are capped at -100, right? Meaning the best damage you can get is double your base on a monster with 0 innate resist. Just a bit of advice ;)

11. cowtestickles

cowtestickles IncGamers Member

so do u mean once u get cold mastery to -100 stop there cause everything els is usless?

12. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Not at all. more than -100 cold mastery helps against monsters with sizable resistance (like meph), it just doesn't do any more against the non-resistant monsters since their resistances can't go any lower than -100. If you have -150 CM, you can also reduce monsters with 50% cold resistance to -100 (effectively letting you deal quadruple the damage you would with no CM, but still only double your stated damage on the skill).

My comment was not meant to detract form the usefulness of high CM, but to correct the poster's comment that he was doing nearly triple damage after CM--since the lowest a monster's resistance goes is -100, and the damage displayed on the skill is for a 0% resistance monster, the most damage CM will give you is double that (Hope that makes sense for you).

13. Fooshie

Fooshie IncGamers Member

Please do upload a picture.

Or can someone who gets that guide please explain it better?

14. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

like it matters, heh. so it's 9k dmg with Cold mastery at 17.

15. disjointeddream

disjointeddream IncGamers Member

Lack of equipment

The only problem I ever find with any guide is that you need to have equipment already. I was one of those that was out of the game for nearly 2 years, and consequently had no account when I came back. I find it very hard to get decent equipment as the quality of drops seems to be less than it used to be, and because I had nothing when I started playing again, I can't trade..

How can I tailor this guide for someone who will most likely be using rubbish equipment from drops?

16. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

just make sure you keep your merc the same level as you. Give him leech equipment and as much defense as possible. You could jsut stand back nakid and kill most things wiht a pure blizzard sorc. Then do Normal/nightmare then hell meph runs as you find better equipment.

You'll want a wand with Faster cast rate and maybe some faster cast rings and amulet for your teleporting around. Then switch to MF gear when you get to killing things.

17. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Actually it shouldn't be that hard to get some decent gear along the way. I am sure that with enough FCR and a good computer you can tele to meph 2/3 of the time at least without getting killed.
    And moat trick is very safe lol.

18. disjointeddream

disjointeddream IncGamers Member

So if I just make sure I stick to the guide I should be okey? cool.. I will give it a shot.

Thanks guys!

19. Robotech

Robotech IncGamers Member

ok i dont get the part about durance 3 being clockwise 90 degrees. I tried this several times and it didnt work. I might be doing something wrong. this is what happened on my attempts: the wp room opens up to bottom right, durance 3 is bottom right. Opens up bottom left, durance 3 is right next to it, directly underneath. there were many other attempts just remember these last 2.

What am i doing wrong?

20. Robotech

Robotech IncGamers Member

ok wow sorry ignore what i said. i was skimming and totally misread what u said. thank u u are a genius i get it now :surprise: