Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure Blizzard, or..no Pure Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Blascid, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Blascid

Blascid IncGamers Member

Pure Blizzard, or..no Pure Blizzard?

Hello,

My Blizzard Sorc, "Blizzard" clever, I know :). Just finished Normal, level 48, and having slight trouble desiding where to go from here. I've read all the guides, and they helped a lot, but I'm looking for more actual real-time responce.

I've heard that PURE Blizzard is fun, and totally owns, but having a second spell seems fun too. Firewall, Fireball, and..perhaps Hydra(?) looks like they have some possibilities, but I just don't know what to go into.

Currently:

20 Blizzard
    20 Ice Blast
    3 Cold Mastery
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    1 GS

1 Warmth

1 Telekenesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Static

She's, going to be, primarily a Magic Finder, Baal, Pindel, Meph, Pits..whatever. But I'd like to change it up.

What type of Blizzard builds do you all have? What do you like about with you've done with them, and is there anything you'd change if you could?

All help is greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks for the help.

2. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

Blizzard really needs its synergies to work well, and I love my pure blizz sorc. Continue with your build and max glacial spike, ice blast, and cold mastery and you will be set. It's great for mf.

3. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

It really depends what you want your bliz sorc to do. You mentioned baal, pindle, meph and the pits. A pure blizz sorc will be great against meph and pindle. Instead of running the pits, blizz sorcs run the Ancient Tunnels , and they do it very well.

For running baal you might be better off hybridising with a fire spell. Either firewall or fireball. If you have some good gear (skillers, +skills, +cold dmg) then using fireball as a backup will probably be best. If you don't have great gear then using firewall should be better. This is because firewall doesn't need as many points in it to be effective, and therefore you can pump the blizzard synergies.

4. Blascid

Blascid IncGamers Member

Wow, very knowledgeable, good points, I didn't know about the Ancient Tunnels being a good place to Magic Find, and I really like that place. I just thought the Pits were the end all Magic Find place. Good to know there is somewhere that is as good(?).

I think I'm going to go Firewall with this one, and remake her as a Pure Blizzard Sorc, just to have both. I would go pure Blizzard with this one, I just want that one to be perfect, and I've already put 106 str into this one, I don't know what I was thinking. I always over do-it on str for Sorc, is there anything rational I could do with this str to make it not such a waste?

Thanks

5. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

I play hardcore, so with my Blizzard sorc safety comes first. She's level 90 now, and Blizzard and Glacial spike (it does less damage then Ice blast, but I just love the group freezing effect) are maxed. 12 Points into cold mastery, 18 into Ice blast, 17 into telekinesis. She has a total of +5 to skills on her magic find gear, and her equipment includes a Thundergods vigor (lightning absorb and +strength), Ravenfrost (cold absorb and + dex) and a Dwarf star (fire absorb + magid damage reduced). Then there is the Harlequin crest, and the Stormshield with a perfect diamond to complete the setup. 45% damage reduced, absorp in all the usefull elements, with the skullders a total of 25 magic damage reduced, and energy shield at 45%, more if I remember to cast it with my weapon switch (normal weapon slot is Wizardspike)

The end result? A sorc that can tank Meph much better then her merc! :) She just teleports right on top of him, casts some static fields, and then she blizzards him to death.

6. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I've got the glacial spike/blizz/FW version. I love GS, crowd control to the max. Now that I've learned how to play her she can do Baal in the same time or less as my Javazon with ~165 more MF.

I plan to build a pure zon (mine used a lot of points in Valk and 6 pts in arrow tree) and a pure blizz to compare these builds.

FW goes unmentioned for Baal runs, but with a wand of low resist, FW takes p3 Baal down in about a minute maybe less, quicker than the unsynergized blizzard anyway (If Baal was more like Andarial and walked around alot blizz would be preferred).

Also, Woestave works better than Kelpie for me for the final kill. OW seems to help a tiny bit.

7. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Stay pure blizz. I matted my blizzsorc. She uses tals set with a stormshiled, ravenfrost, soj, and treks. Best of luck
    Cheers K

8. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

I use the Bliz / Meteor version. And I'll agree the Glacial Spike's freezing effect helps tremendously. Since FireBall is a prereq for Meteor (I think), you can use that as a spam spell if necessary and Meteor helps get rid of those pesky CI guys. Of course your handy dandy merc gets rid of the CI FI monsters. She becomes a great all-around character that can go anywhere in the game. I have mine build with MF (about 450) and only has the rare death.

But if you just want Pindle/Meph/Ancient Tunnels runner (and can do without running Baal), then a pure Bliz sorc rocks. If you want to run Baal and The Pits, do what Shermo said and hybridize her. Either way you'll have fun.​

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I have a blizz/fireball sorc who is lvl 93 and does baal runs, which she's very good at. She can also do meph runs in under a minute (p8) with the right map.
    However, i made her with the intention of baal runs, whcih is why i needed the backup skill. pure blizzard sorcs can wreck havoc to any non CI even on P8, but with the amount of monsters you'll be leaving to your merc or TP past in hell, i wouldnt like it, but i prefere to kill everything in my path, not avoid half of it.
    Up to you, but if your thinking about the fireball route, i highly recommend it, since blizz with 1 synergy and CM will still kill most things.

10. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

*raises from the dead*

Pure Blizz w/ 20 CM
    10+ points into Static Field
    Act2 merc with a good elite polearm

=

Best overall boss/area runner (including Baal)...
    except, of course, Hammerdin with Enigma.

cheddar!

-GG

11. Tiger_Spirit

Tiger_Spirit IncGamers Member

Hi all,

I just like to know; I have a blizzard pure sorc act 2 lvl 21 with already 16 in ice blast.

This is my first char, and she's going for mf (so I play untwinked). She's sc, and I would like to know if she needs max block or not (I have already put 100 in energie). And which merc is good for her, I have now lvl 12 defensive normal merc :D

So my questions are:

1. Max block or not? Don't forget I play untwinked and I put already 100 in energie

2. Which merc for her? The fact is, I wanna do good mf, and that my merc will be "good" in killing CI in hell. Some advice?

That's all, if someone can help me, gonna be cool :cool:

Bye

12. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

** hijack **

Max block is not important (although some like it). With your Sorc, your goal is to not get hit.

Your choice of Merc might be more of your personal preference, but since Sorcs try not to get hit, a HF Merc helps by slowing all the buggers down.

Just my 2 cents - Good luck

** end hijack **

13. Tiger_Spirit

Okey, thanks :)

When I'll reach hell, then I will see which merc I am going to take.

14. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

first of all, Blizzard sorcs normally don't put any points into energy. Due to the casting delay on blizz, they're not mana intensive like a fire or lightning sorc. Having said that, since you're playing untwinked a few points wouldn't hurt. 100 points is a lot though.

You've really got 3 options for the merc; an act2 might, act2 HF, act2 Defiance. A might merc will get rid of any CI's you encounter quicker but will be more prone to dying.

A defiance merc isn't too useful if you're playing untwinked. You'll never be able to get your defence to a decent lvl. If you're twinking, with a high lvl frozen armour and Tal's armour you can boost your defence to ~ 8k which will make a noticable difference to how often monsters hit you.

People often think a HF merc is redundant on a cold sorc but there are lots of monsters in hell than can't be slowed by your blizz but can be slowed by the HF aura. Also the aura will take effect before you have a chance to cast blizzard. This is probably your best bet for untwinked play.

15. stupidgreen

stupidgreen IncGamers Member

Does hydra work? It seems to me that Hydra would be a cool option, since it auto-targets... goes well with the limited AoE a blizzard has.

Could be cool too, I miss seeing hydra sorc's

16. Tiger_Spirit

Bad choice, hydra isn't effective enough in hell (even on players 1).

It needs full synergized to work, and with blizzard you need also a lot of synergy to be good. So too many points to spend. Better stay with pure blizzard, or if you really want, take fire ball or fire wall with it.

IMO they are the best spell to take with blizzard (look in sorc. forum, there is a guide for blizzard/fire ball sorc) :)

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The might merc will only help when killing CI's, and inhell when everything has at least 50% phys res, he still wont be a powerhouse.
    I'd suggest a HF merc, for the reason that it slows down all monsters, even CI's, and makes baal basically useless, especially if you have some slow gear on your merc.

18. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

There are some noteble exceptions such as Frenzytaurs who will not be chilled by the Holy Freeze aura.

Also a might merc is a valid option, despite the Physical Resist penalty. Placing a Reaper's Toll into the mercenary aids with the penalty. The damage added will also allow the mercenary to leech back more.

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yes, when equipt with very good items the might merc can be very useful, but he's going untwinked, so he'll be very lucky to get the perfect items for klling, LL and MF. HF is better since it effects practically all monsters and amkes your life alot easier when in troublesome areas.

20. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Then perhaps a defiance mercenary would be much more suitable. Yes the aura provided by a HF is more than useful, however the HF mercenaries are somewhat more fragile than the other two counterparts.