Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pure Avenger Viability

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Dementor, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Pure Avenger Viability

By pure avenger I mean:

20 Vengance
    20 Resist Fire
    20 Resist Cold
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Salvation

Has anyone tried this before? Suggested equipment for such a build?

Eventaully he'll be part of a two-man team designed to take down Diablo Clone (the other member being a healer-pally with conviction)

2. Any1

Any1 Banned

I suppose you can run around with Slavation as your main aura. You'll need a decent amount of mana leech. Probabaly get a Might merc to increase your physical damage and further enhance LL/ML.

You'll get points for originality. However, I suspect that one point in Veng and 10-20 in Conviction will be a lot more effective.

3. Dementor

Dementor Banned

You'll get points for originality. However, I suspect that one point in Veng and 10-20 in Conviction will be a lot more effective.[/QUOTE]

I'll have an ally running maxed conviction for me.

And yeah, I did have a problem with mana; thankfully, damage-to-mana items can take mana from most of Uberdiablo's attacks (alot of them deal physical damage as well as elemental.)

And I won't be needing any life leach, because my ally cranks out the holy bolts like its nobody's buisness... and as long as he stays far enough away from the really deadly attacks (firestorm, lightning hose) my salvation aura should protect him from the flame novas and the armageddon.

4. Any1

Any1 Banned

Let's hope there is enough physical damage in DC's attack to make "% Damage to Mana" modifier useful.

If you have an ally with max Conviction then you should be doing really well with your skill point distribution. You can always try casting "Life Tap" (i.e. charges on a wand or dagger) on DC before the fight to at least give you some decent LL.

BTW, having Salvation on all the time will make you very popular in Hell Baal runs.

5. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

I'll cut salvation, and get Fanatism/Holy Shield if your friend is running conviction. The Salvation synergy is not worth it.

First fallen paladin build I've seen in a long time...

6. Dementor

Dementor Banned

The salvation synergy is better than it looks; the 2% elemental damage is applied to all three elements, for a total of 6% elemental damage. Combined with the conviction reducing DC's reses to far below zero, thats alot more damage than fanat would add, with DC's 50% physical resistsance still intact. Also, the conviction makes the AR boost of fanat moot, since his defense will be around 300. The attack speed would be nice, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it, espcially since it would mean even faster mana drain.

I won't be using a shield; my ally uses holy bolt on me exclusivly. Thus, holy shield would be a waste.

And VS. DC, Salvation does alot more than just its synergy; it allows me and my healer ally survive his attacks!

7. Dementor

Dementor Banned

I'll have a combonation of Mana Leach and Damage to Mana stuff; Gloomstrap for example. Hopefully it'll be enough. If not, the healer will have meditation for when I (or he, for that matter) need a recharge on mana for a bit.
    I've got a Dracul's Grasp waiting for him; anyway, LL may well be moot thanks to my allies Bolts.
    I just started Baal runs, and yeah, they love me, specially when Bartuc and his buds show up, or when Black Souls are being bitchy.

8. wsimian

wsimian IncGamers Member

I have the above.

I love the vengeance damage, but the hit is way too slow and the mana drain incredible. Even switching on salvation for safety, minions will be overwhelming. It would probably work for what you're looking to do with it though.

9. Antiochous_3

Antiochous_3 IncGamers Member

One question? How often do you guys fight a diablo clone? When 1.10 came out he appeared fairly regularly but now he does not show up in any of my games except for mabey once a month. So far i have only been able to get 2 annihils on ladder and 7 or 8 off ladder. Ne way the point is, I can not see any reason to build a char around killing a monster that you will encounter only once or twice a month. I just use my zealot to kill him most of the time and i find that i can tank him alone and have no problem killing him under 2 min.

Am I missing something?