Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Punk rock, bass, unoriginality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Canadia142, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Punk rock, bass, unoriginality

Whats up with punk bassists? They don't have any originality at all, all they use is E and A and they never go past the 7th fret and 90% of them are root note *****s. I mean a little filler to spice up the lines would be nice once in a while. Or maybe acually using more than two strings in a song?

I think I know why they are like this. They gotta jump around on stage and **** so if they had a complicated bass line they couldn't rock out as much. ALTHOUGH shouldn't they at least be able to be more versatile in their playing?

I can only think of 2 bassists that use all the strings and really spice up their bass lines, Matt Freeman from Rancid of course and Hunter from AFI. Other than that I can't think of any other. Anyone want to help me in my quest to find good punk bassists?

Oh, now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying punk bassistst suck I'm just saying they should be more spicey with their lines.

Hell maybe no one cares and I should go to a bass forum but I can't leave my beloved otf.

2. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Yeah bass is the most underplayed instrument in rock. My band jump around and we don't play simple music. I dunno, they are probably guitarists who play bass because the band already has a guitarist. Or something.

3. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

Paul Simonon of The Clash was an awesome bassist, I thought.

But yeah, I agree with you that bass lines in punk are a tad boring and repetitive. Actually i think most punk is boring and repetitive, but i suppose thats just me.

You want to hear some amazing, original bass lines? Pick up some Primus. Les Claypoole is a friggin genius .... :yep:

4. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

Simple. Goto another genre. hehe. I can't stand punk for that reason.

Anyways, ya--I notice this too. I think open E and 3rd fret E is the most use bass line by punkers.

I think punk "musicians" don't care about the music. It seems, in general, that they mostly care about their image. There ARE exceptions though.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Don't know his name, but the bassist for Iron Maiden is awesome.

6. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Ack!!!

Canadia, reasons I have respect for punk bass players.

1.) They are part of one of my generations largest and most sucessful genres of music

2.) Most are actually very original (I will explain this in a second).

3.) It is a very new (well was I guess) for the bass compared to the bass lines of their forefathers.

Reasons why Punk Bass is good.

1.) The speed in which they play. All punk players usually require a great deal of physical strength and technical skills too be able to play as fast as they do.

Bands that support this idea: NOFX, Pennywise, Offspring, old-Blink-182

2.) Orginality. I'm basing this on the idea that the bass players have some influence in the writing styles of the band. Punk is really an outlet for people sick of hearing the complicated rythms in other genres. Punks simplicity is what makes it so great, a good punk band is usually easy to listen to whereas Megadeath, Pantera, Metallica, and so on really require more of a certain taste and respect for guitar.

Why is it simple?

Because it is so fast. Trust me on this, it would sound like unorganized **** if the bass players were playing walking bass lines. Punk doesn't focus on an outstanding bass line. The real heart of the song is found mainly in the guitar and vocals. Bass just adds the low end of the note.

Also, in punk you will rarely hear walking bass lines, you'll hear solid root notes with an ocassional walk down/up. Listen to bands like Greenday, Blink-182, Pennywise, NOFX, Jawbreaker, Offspring, and so on...

Simplicity doesn't parralell orginality.

7. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

HH, you make some valid points. Although I'm not sure where you're getting the extreme speed thing from. Usually you play bass with your fingers (exceptions always exist), which means you can play generally faster. Also, I haven't heard any punk where they play terribly fast in the first place.

I play guitar, but I can play just about any punk bass riff you give me, without difficulty. Bands like Primus (as mentioned above) have incredibly complex bass riffs that Les plays easily 5x faster then any punk songs. Alot of other genres of music also have very fast, and still moderately complicated bass lines.

As you say though, complexity doesn't always = originality, let alone good. Rammstein are a perfect example of this. I've never heard a band that's SO bad at playing their instuments, yet sound so incredibly awesome.

The general beef I have with punk bass (and guitar), is that the bassline almost always follows the same first note of the power-chord that the guitarist is playing, which just drowns out the bass. Of course, just my opinion, and there's exceptions.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Uh...punk bass lines are just line punk guitar chord progressions, they're hell easy.

9. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

That would be Steve Harris. Iron Maiden is great.

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeah him...he's awesome :surprise:

And Iron Maiden is great.

11. might

might IncGamers Member

Heh, nice to see Iron Maiden being brought up in a discussion about punk rock. :lol:

12. masterazn

masterazn Banned

We're also talking bassists here...

13. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

Specifically, we're talking about punk rock bassists, and their apparent lack of originality.

I would like to point out that punk music in itself doesn't have that technical a chord structure, nor are the rhythms complex. As a whole, punk itself is rather dumbed down technically. This is why it doesn't need original bass. All it needs is functional bass, whic h it has. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to hating punk music.

14. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

A lot of you guys seem to miss the point of punk rock.

Punk rock was an antidote to corporate stadium rock of the seventies. It was an antidote to all the self-indulgent rockers declaring "I am an artist! Look what I can do! Look what a virtuoso I am!"

"Accessibility" is one of the most important aspects of punk rock. Punk should sound like a bunch of random idiots picked up a bunch of instruments and started playing. It should sound like music you could make (assuming you're untrained) given a chance. In my book, Flea isn't technically a proper punk musician because he's too talented and too good at what he does.

On the other hand, Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" is true punk as far as I'm concerned whether he realized that or not, whether he intended it or not. :D

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I play punk bass all the time. Some of the more mainstream bass players play easy songs, then again mainstream punk is an oxymoron. Listen to Weezer(okay they are Emo, but that is a punk genre) or listen to some Three Way Stop. They both have the punk sound with a more complicated bass line.

As for the bass line being slow, actually listen to the music before you say what it is and is not. What they play on the radio is generally the crappy punk songs that are really repeatitive because that is what people like. A song that they can remember and gets easily stuck in your head. Real punk bass lines are extremely fast, that is why my bass teacher has my goal speed at 350BPM with no mistakes.

16. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

Well, if I want speed, I'll just turn to some death metal a la Cryptopsy.

Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy's drummer) is insanely fast and strings together complex rhythms. They go by so fast that you miss them in a flash.

So if you think punk is all about speed and no technicality, take a look at some Cryptopsy for a bit.

17. Hippie Holocost

Well if you want true speed then you have to do one of two things

1.) Easiest, learn to use a pick
    2.) (What I'm learning to do) use three or four fingers when playing

Most punk bassists (ack that word pisses me off when typing) use a pick. Listen to NOFX (song: the Decline) you'll hear some crazy bass. Same with pennywise.

Also the beautiful thing about punk rock is that it is simple. A lot of punk is simple four chord progressions taken from the circle of fifths. i.e C,G,A,F. The reason I don't bash this is because while they aren't being incredibly artistic, they are making music that is easy to listen to, and pretty damn good.

Most people don't have a taste for 10 minute guitar solos or funk style bass rythms like Flea. Most people don't want to work at listening to music, they just want to put it on, and be able to remember the words so they can sing along in the shower.

Punk gives them that.

18. Hippie Holocost

Well your right death metal in many cases is "faster" than punk. Symphony X, Kings X, Megadeath, and so on all tear it up. And I can tell that a lot of the newer punk players got their influences from that music. Blinks drummer is amazing if you listen to their older stuff. Green days drummer can make a killer fill as well. But it is important to remember why death metal never made it really big. Just because you are amazing technically doesn't mean that you a good musically.

19. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

Hippie Holocost: Symphony X aren't death metal, and they are good musically. If you ignore their grandiose works like The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, The Odyssey, and the whole New Mythology Suite album, they are actually quite talented at writing radio friendly songs.

But if you're like me, and you think they can't put a step wrong, then just enjoy them anyway. \m/

20. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

It looks like we need to figure out exactly what punk is.