Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pull the plug on Terri Schiavo?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Mar 18, 2005.

?

Best pindle runner with 600%MF+?

1. Mostly Blizzard/static/fire sorc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LF amazon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bone necro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Frenzy Barb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Elemental Druid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Druid or Necro Summoner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bowzon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Trap Sin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mostly Meteor/static/cold sorc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Pull the plug on Terri Schiavo?

I think we should just pull her plug. Chances are she's probably suffering cuz of her muscle contractions.

14 years, she's probably given up hope herself. Besides her husband is the legal guardian. He should decide when to pull the plug in the event she's unable to do so.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

The problem I have with it is how soon he wanted to pull that plug. Before she was even out of her coma. He had it out for her and I think the family knows it. If the family is willing to pay the medical bills, then it would seem ok.

It's tough to see a loved one suffer for so long and know they won't ever get better.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I'll give Congress credit, they're usually not this imaginative. Lousy government interfering with state's rights. I thought the dudes in power were against that sort of thing. Lousy activist Rrepublicans.

He was appointed her guardian in 1990. He first petitioned the court to allow the removal of her feeding tube in 1998. Look at the timeline on CNN's website. Or do some simple research before you make stuff up. 8 years is soon? I disagree.

4. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

I take it back. I just saw her on CNN and she's like sitting upright and blinking. Not like a bed ridden vegatable as I thought she was.

5. Donkey Button

Donkey Button IncGamers Member

Pull the plug, let him get on with his life without having to divorce her and give half his possesions to someone who has absolutely no use for them since they are pretty much dead.

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

You know, a few strategically placed pillows can make anyone sit up. As far as blinking is concerned, she breathes too--both are involuntary reflexes. Tell me when she starts raising her hand and pointing at things or demonstrating some degree of intelligent awareness other than moaning and drooling on herself whenever she hears noise, and I'll reconsider, but frankly, I think they should put the poor woman out of her misery.

I personally know someone fighting a degenerative disease that destroyed their muscles and ravaged their nervous system, and can tell you that when she has muscle spasms and contractions involuntarily, its excruciating for her. In the unfortunate case that Terri can actually feel/sense things going on around her, I cannot begin to imagine the agony that she lives in. Even if she is somehow comforted by her family's presence, with no hope for recovery, I cannot imagine her wanting to continue to suffer through this just because she can see or sense her family around her once in a while.

If it were me and there were no hope of recovery, give me a little time to see if I improve and then put me the hell out of my misery. There is no reason to continue to torture someone like that, and to me it seems nothing more than extraordinary selfishness on the part of her parents. I think it's downright disgusting for them to keep her in limbo like this and I sympathize with her husband wanting to finally put it to an end.

Moreover, think about him for a minute (and I don't think he is for a second, by the way--if Aeval were in a similar situation and I was convinced she was in pain/not able to recover, I would fight to give her peace as well). He's married to a ghost. Her parents have abandoned him as part of their family, and as such leave him with very little moral support in terms of anyone to turn to. He goes home every night to an empty home and an empty bed, and looks at the picture on his nightstand of them together when she was healthy and they were together. He can never have that back, and has spent however many years it has been of his life alone and living in the past. Let the poor man move on--if you doubt his loyalty, consider the fact that he could have divorced her years ago and walked away to start another life. Instead he has fought for her and what he thought she would have wanted. How is that having it out for her? If he had, he could have walked away 15 years ago or even earlier.

7. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I say pull the plug. If for nothing else, it'd be the quickest way to keep her name and picture from clogging up the news pages year after year.

After 15 years... she's DEAD.. she ain't coming back.

And frankly, I'm sick of hearing about her. Terry, MJ, Scott Peterson and the other media whores can just disappear.

8. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I can honestly say that I just don't care. Pull the plug. Don't pull it. It means nothing to me, and I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another.

9. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

So they are going to pull the plug and let her starve or dehydrate to death?

I know, lawfully, that is all they can do, but geez ...we treat our pets (when they are dying) better than that.

10. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Freakin homepage, doesnt say crap unless its "lets count how many has died in Iraq"...I'm changing it soon, but...WHO THE HELL IS THIS PERSON!! I hear her name all over the radio the last 2 days..and have never heard of this before that. You know how many get the plug pulled everday in this world..why the hell is this person so above everyone else. What is she the Pope's long lost daughter or something!!? This media nowadays..they suck!!

Next time I have a cold, I want my state to pass a bill in the House, so someone has to catch my flim and uses it for good of all mankind.

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Cyber, I have to say, I have to agree with you for once. And here I was preparing a comment for you to tell you just to pretend she's a terrorist. :p

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

13. chuck

chuck IncGamers Member

No way should they pull the plug, he has no written documentation that that is what she wants... yeah ok lets pull it and let her starve to death... that is a really painful way to die...

14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I'm with Ilad on this one. If pulling the plug means starving her to death I'm against it. That's a bad way to kill a person. Can't they just look for some sign of pain and give her a lethal dose of morphine to cure it? That's the kind of palliative care I would like when I get terminally ill or turned into a vegetable. Seriously.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Only in Oregon. It's illegal to assist someone commit suicide in every other state. You might be shocked to know that the Bush administration is challenging the Oregon law. Then again, you might not.

16. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I might not. :(

17. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Inmates on Death Row get better treatment and when/if the time comes, a much quicker death.

I have no idea where I stand on this. I can say pull the plug right now, do as the husband wishes; but I just can't put myself in the place of the parents. I have no idea how I'd feel if that were my daughter, though what remains of that woman sure doesn't seem like their daughter anymore.

They really should teach Death class in high school, and try to get the kids to understand what it's all about; the ramifications to everyone in the family, financially, etc., so that when they come of majority they can sign a Kill Me In Case Of...clause.

18. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Thank you! Why are these cases making the news when they have no significance in our lives? Why don't they report some real news instead.

19. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

She has people willing to care for her and help her. Let them do so.

20. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

This isn't as clean cut as a few here have said. My girlfriend told me that she doesn't want to be a hopeless vege, there is no written instruction or will or whatever, what do I do? I love her and the fact that I will love her as a vege anyway complicates matters since she has asked me to promise to not let her drag on. My mother actually said pretty much the same thing.

As for having this news just pop out in the last 3 days, nah, I keep hearing this story for quite some time now since I subscribe to news alerts and somehow this particular case keeps popping up. Why? Because this will decide who has the legal right to keep alive or let go a person who is a vegetable, the legal guardian or flesh and blood family members. Either way, this is not as easy as just pull the plug or give her to her parents to take care off. I do wish if it was pull the plug, they would give her pain killers as starving to death is not exactly what I would choose as a way to go. I'd still like to pass on with my loving family all around me and crying and me comforting them that it's ok... just like what my grandfather did.