Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Public School vs. Private School

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StarStageGurl, Apr 10, 2005.

1. StarStageGurl

StarStageGurl IncGamers Member

Public School vs. Private School

My friends and I were having a discussion where one guy passionately accused the general student body of my school for thinking that we are generally "smarter" than public schools in the states. (Just assume I go to a private school) I'm wondering what your opinions are on the matter. How do you define smart?

Strictly academically speaking, what's the difference between public schools and private schools in general? Tests scores tell me one thing, other sources tell me the opposite, what do you see and why? What methods used to teach in private/public schools are useful and what are not?

Discuss.

2. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Public, I have friends that go to Private schools and they hate it, they envy me for going to public. Well, when I did goto public school.

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

ive been in a private school my whole life and im fine with it.

supposedly, the smaller class size makes it easier for teachers to personally help students. i think this is actually true, from my experiences - i know plenty of people who get tons of help from teachers, and the teachers are totally fine with helping whenever needed. and im not going to judge public schools, i have no idea how they run things. ;)

from what i know, public schools tend to yield individual "geniuses", due to the huge pool of students, and theres more flexibility - students can skip grades and stuff more easily in public schools. in private schools, the average is higher, since the "crowd" that goes there is seen as more "devoted".

4. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

The thing I loved about public school was the people. There were so many great people to meet, not to mention the great looking girls.

5. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Private school kids come from wealthy backgrounds. Wealthy people are more likely to be intelligent and to pass it down to their kids. They are also more likely to take school seriously. Plus, extra money to facilitate learning never hurts.

Garbad

6. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

That's not always true. Some families with little money also take education seriously, because they see it as a big way to escape poverty.

7. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

private schools --> less but better friends, due to the smaller class size, supposedly. this isnt true. i can consider almost everyone in my grade (110+ people) a friend, excluding maybe 5. of course, they arent all good friends which i actually hang out with a lot, but we can get along and talk anytime. public schools, since there are so many people and so many different classes, its harder to connect with your friends at school, but there are so many people its not much of a problem - thats my impression at least.

please correct me if im wrong about anything about a public school, this is only my knowledge from my sister and some friends.

8. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

I'd say that's about true. My schol had over 3000 kids, I know most of the people in my senior class about 800 or so, and I had about 6 close friends who I hung out with on a regular basis.

9. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

StarStage, the assertion is seriously flawed.
    If smart=high IQ? Then you certainly cannot say that private school in general is smarter. A person can have an IQ of a genius but not have a single dime to afford private school.
    If smart=high achievement in school, then maybe. Most of the time rich families have better education than poor families, and they emphasize on education a lot more, since they themselves are benifiting from it, causing their children to do so as well.
    All in all, it depends 5% on school, and 95% on yourself.

10. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

I've never attended private school, I have friends who do but we seldom talk about it. How is an education 'better' in a private school? I can understand that you can get more 1 on 1 time with a teacher, but how can the education it self be better?

11. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

That is the most arrogant statement I have read on these boards.

Wealth = intelligence

What a crock of hooey!

12. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Yeah, I second that.

13. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Since when did I say anything about education being "better" in private school??? Quote it out please.

14. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

I never said you did say that. Although a lot of people I've talked with about this (besides this thread) people generally think that private school is giving their kids a 'better' education. I'm just wondering why people think that, from what I've read/listened too, I can't see how it's better.

15. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

i guess it is cause if it costs money then they expect it to be better then the school that is free

16. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Well, don't quote someone when you are giving an opinion about something else, cuz that confuzzles people.
    I do agree with you to some extent, HOWEVER, think about this:
    Private schools have more money, more money=more good teachers, more extra activities, more equipments, more subjects (because of more qualified teachers), all of which can contribute to a person's success.

17. neophase

neophase Banned

I'm 100% all for privatized schooling.
    Screw these public schools that give student's 2nd chances, 3rd, 4th and so on, and are just like the justice system in our countries, too many chances. Than you got an incident like columbine, killing everyone because teacher's were too easy on them damn bullyers!!!
    All bad students who commit bullying in a physical matter ought to be quarantined to rough schools where funding is truly limited, and where a different kind of graduation is put in place. You get 3 strikes, you're out. Depending on the severity of these strikes, can be 2 or 4.
    and in a mental manner, people ought to be tought how to behave appriopriately and with respect and kindness, I'm tired of kids being brought up horribly by stupid parents.

Go Anarchy!! :) all our tax dollars should be going to cheaper tuition, more books, more flexibility where students and parents have a choice in what their students learn after grade 10 or grade 8, abandon health care, but also ban all junk food. Why do we need potato chips and hamburgers when avocadoes, apples, canteloupes, salads, and the rest are in place? That's where all our tax dollars go to, blind pride :p we dont live on bread alone, but in wisdom and courage. bit offtopic but yeah, we are talking about education, which does come from the government through our tax dollars.
    Heck, more jails, more quarantining, more security, great way to spend tax dollars. And also, leading edge re[/b[search! to protect VS bioterrorism, and different forms of defense. Let's harvest this land baby ;)

18. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

yeah, my school as big money issues, they dont even have enough money for the book in one subject, but even tough my school doesnt have enough money it doesnt mean i have bad teachers, my primary teacher is great, kind helpfull and smart, my norwegian(language) could have use for a new job tough, the only subject i couldnt have was spanish, so had to take french instead :rant:

19. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

True, but there are still good teachers in public school as well. I had some GREAT teachers when I was in HS. I agree with you on better equipment, activites, etc. But I'm skeptical on teachers, not all teachers teach for the money.

20. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

i hope that statement was a joke?