Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Psychic tip prompts bomb search on plane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, Mar 27, 2004.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Psychic tip prompts bomb search on plane

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/27/psychic.plane.ap/index.html

I know it's only 1pm, but this gets my WTF award for the day. Say this was an important business flight or you had to make a connecting fligh, and then you find out it was cancelled because a random psychic phoned in and said she thought there was a bomb on it. I'd be livid.

I understand the need to investigate possible tips, but an unnamed psychic calling in and saying they think there's a bomb on the plane is taking it a little too far if you ask me. I suppose we don't know the whole story, and this person could have offered some evidence, but it seems like a waste of time and resources to me. As well as a major inconvenience to those travelers.

2. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

But then again, it'd make them look like idiots if there really was a bomb on the plane...
    Edit: That is, if they hadn't searched the plane.

3. xXxDraGoNxXx1123

xXxDraGoNxXx1123 IncGamers Member

Plus the psychic "tip" could easily be taken suspiciously as the "psychic" having placed the bomb on the plane themselves. It's not uncommon for a criminal to brag of their actions to law enforcement.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Exactly they may not have been a psychic, but could have real information. The psychic thing could be a small and under thought plan to make them look like they weren't connected with the plan to bomb the plane.

5. AeroJonesy

I thought of that, but it just didn't make any sense. Plant a bomb on the plane, tell the authorities that you did plant a bomb on the plane, but say it was a psychic vision or something, so then they ignore you. I dunno, just doesn't quite seem to add up. Unless that's the effect they were going for.

The conspiracy theory that I favor is that someone was going to be late for their flight that they had to be on, so they called in a bomb threat, that they knew would delay the plane, but not totally ground it. They must have been disappointed when the flight got cancelled because the crew couldn't work overtime.

6. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Looks like someone saw Final Destination a few too many times.

7. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Here's an idea, lets all go to pay phones and start calling our local authorities claiming to be psychics and saying there could be a bomb on flight XXxxxx. This is the new-Age terrorism. Even though they can't crash planes anymore, if they can ground enough aircraft with bomb threats, they can still cause substantial economic turmoil.

8. eddy

eddy Banned

I personally think that this is shameful. This has taken the whole meaning of probable evidence to "well someone said you might have done this, or might have one of those on you"

9. AeroJonesy

But at the same time, what if they actually had found a bomb on the plane, or a bomb had been detonated and they had decided against a search so the bomb was never discovered? The people in charge would be crucified by the public.

10. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

"Um hi my brother's friend's uncle's cousin's niece's sister told me there might be a bomb on the plane, you might wanna check it out.

11. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Calls the local airport "I heard that these crazed crazed korean terrorist planted bombs on Cathay Pacific jets because they're not getting enough customers on Korean air."

12. Professor Blasto

Professor Blasto IncGamers Member

I don't believe in psychics but a bomb threat/tip-off is usually something worth investigating. If they don't find anything they could always arrest the psychic for "false something or other".

*disgruntled groan*

13. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Same damn thing I thought :)

14. eddy

eddy Banned

Yes all im saying is if they start to believe everyone, people will lose all their rights. . .

O well thats the way everything seems to be happening in america nowadays, all your rights are just dissapearing in the wind.

15. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Well, the way I see it, is that a person might plant a bomb on the plane, phone it in as a psychic vision so that the authorities know about it but ignore it, so there's a HUGE media frenzy about it, and the authorities are even at more of a loss. That's what the authorities were probably thinking when they made the search.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I think Diana Ross planted the bomb in order to build credibility for her psychic phone friends.

Seriously, though, all bomb tips need to be checked out. But for god's sake don't announce to the press that you checked it out because some idiot with a crystal ball told you to do so. Just say that you got information hinting at possible danger to the passengers and you checked it out.

The PR people at the airline/airport are morons even if they don't believe in fortune-tellers.