PS3 can't play some older games

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
PS3 can't play some older games

From Here

Article said:
On Tuesday, the company acknowledged the console won't run some of the 8,000 titles designed for previous PlayStations — even though the PlayStation 3 was billed as being fully compatible with older-generation games.

For instance, the PS3 might not play background music to the popular "Tekken 5" combat game, and some scenes from the "Gran Tourismo" racing game might freeze, according to Sony. The game "Suikoden III" can't read data from a first-generation PlayStation, while a virtual gun in one of the "Biohazard" games won't fire properly.

Some older games won't run on the PS3 at all, according to Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka. Online upgrades of the PS3 software will be offered, but it's unlikely that all the problems will ever get fixed, he said.
So how is this different from the Xbox 360? Oh that's right it isn't. What a damned shame that new hi-tech gaming consoles can't figure out how to play older and less sophisticated games.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I hear they basically put mini PS2s and PS1s in there, which makes it seem odd that only some games don't work well.

Ce Olba

Banned
One less reason to wait for Ps3 and one more reason to buy a new Ps2 for me then, I guess.

My current Ps2 has been pretty much out of shape ever since we got it modchipped, and now my dad is thinking about buying a new one.

Johnny

Banned
Tekken 5 and suikoden 3 is not really that old when speaking of regular playstation 1 games.

What about the games that are actualy old then?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
To be fair, the Wii will be the first Nintendo console to ever have backwards compatibility, won't it?

MinasMorgul

Diabloii.Net Member
Not a Problem as long as I keep my PS2, which I intended to do anyways.

The fact that I need to buy both an Xbox and the 360 to play all their games is more annoying.

NIRVANA

Diabloii.Net Member
well, yes, if don't count Gameboy Advance and the DS, the Wii is the first. It's compatible with all Gamecube games, and I guess we'll be able to download and play any other past game from N64, SNES, and NES. I don't worry too much about it being like that though because I still have all my old systems in good condition.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
not true, ps2 emulators have a come a long way. They aren't perfect but if you have a pretty good system, you can play a few games.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Does NES/SNES/N64 roms on dremcast count?
Heh, you could do that huh?

well, yes, if don't count Gameboy Advance and the DS, the Wii is the first. It's compatible with all Gamecube games, and I guess we'll be able to download and play any other past game from N64, SNES, and NES. I don't worry too much about it being like that though because I still have all my old systems in good condition.
Yeah, ditto.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
im keeping my 4 year old bulky ps2 :D which can play ps1 games if I ever come across one (i sold my ps games a few years back)

ps3 has more backwards compatibility than x360, not that there are many xbox games that are worth it to me nor many still being developed.

for the ps2 i still want god of war 2 e.e

asdf

Diabloii.Net Member
So how is this different from the Xbox 360? Oh that's right it isn't.
PS3: plays most PS2 games. some are buggy.
XBOX360: plays 0 xbox games, unless you can buy a 360 version.

to get the backwards compatibility they essentially shoved PS2 hardware inside it. one neat thing though is that you won't have to buy memory cards (which are stupidly overpriced, like $25 for 8mb). you can create them on the hard drive.

still not buying a PS3 though, the wii is the one to get this generation.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
there are around 5-10 xbox games that will play on the xbox360 with some patches iirc

i still think somene should shove a patch up mr micro$softs *** and see how well he runs