Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PS2 Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blu3l1ghtn1ng, Mar 25, 2005.

1. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

PS2 Question

Has anyone had their ps2 chipped with a mod chip? Any comments or suggestions?

2. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Everyone I know would rather go with a slide-card than to mess with the hardware with a mod chip. A mod chip (as I understand) on ps2 is not too easy to install. Though, a slide-card isn't perfect.

3. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

I'm not going to install it myself. I have no idea what a slide card is (so explanations needed). I live in Toronto, and my friend told me about the place he went to. They charge 100 bucks for 3 games, and the chip installed. They fix it first, show me it works, then I pay. It appears to be an actual store. At this point PS2s are worth the risk for me, so hopefully all goes well.

Anyways, I'm interested with this slide card..what is it?

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I think the moding comes in on the sauder points, XBOX only has 3 or 4 which makes it semi-ease to mod with a proper guide and full instructions, however a PS2 has 11 or 12 sauder points therefore makes it far more difficult to connect a chip to the hardware.

5. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Think of it like a preloader for a gamecube + a small piece that helps you get the disk out. Called a slidecard because using the piece of plastic involves sliding it from the left to the right of the cd tray...A slide card is two pieces, a preloader disk and a disktray ejector piece. (The ejector piece is just a specially shape piece o' plastic.) Basically, you load the disk and let it close with the ejector piece in there. The disk goes to a gray screen saying "Load Disk." You use the piece to gently pull out the tray (don't worry, the motor isn't on at the time or anything) and swap the preloader disk with whatever else you want to play. Then you just close the drive (without the ejector piece) and have at it. This works with burned cd's (and as far as I know) as well as imported.

I think the only bad thing about the slide card is that for the best use (i.e. easy to get the ejector piece in and out) you need to remove that small piece of plastic on the disktray (the black frame + rotatable ps2 sign) but that could be just for the specific slidecard. You'd have to check to see if you'd need to do something like that, but I'd rather take off a piece of plastic than fiddle (or even let someone else) with the electronics. I'll bet it's cheaper too.

6. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Yeah, basically all it is is saudering. My buddy did one on his PS2. I wasn't there and I'm not sure how long it took him, I just know that he did it.

7. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

Haha, I live in Toronto too. I got my PS2 mod chip'd 3 years ago and the prices were in the 500 $CDN range(PS2, gameshark, mod chip, 6 games. Haha I got a really good deal at the time). Most stores that do sell mod chips with PS2's will give you a better deal if you are asian. Racism these days.