Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Proud of my new-born avenger ;D

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Leto`, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Proud of my new-born avenger ;D

I know this might sound selfish, but I really feel proud of this character and it it's even far off finished :D

He was born at 04/04/2004 (coincidence hehe), Name : SH_Idaho (for the Dune-freaks among us).

In 95% of the cases I play with the same friend from scratch (so no boosting and trav-running, baal-running etc). This was also the case here. As I decided to create an avenger (never did this before), my mate had to take some non-melee char to be complementary (right word??), so he chose a Summon necro, or whatever it is called, I have totally no xp with necro's.

First two acts normal were the most boring ones like it always is, me using sacrifice and zeal. I put points in the must-have aura's and pre-reqs (holy shield, cleansing, vigor etc).
    I used vengeance for the first time for Big D himself, didnt use it much in normal due the load of mana it consumes).
    I looked through my mules and found some nice mana charms (big ones 50+ mana and found a real nice one later in the Halls of Vaught, Grand charm 58 mana + 25 life)). 2 of them were enough to use vengeance all the time. An upgraded Nightsmoke was godly, really.
    No mercs used in normal, problem in act 2, my mate took a thorns, I took a might, but that seemd a bit stupid because might didn't do that much damage, and now (too late) I think my mate could used the might better than the thorns :s. I changed it, I didn't want to ruin his summons with a holy freeze so I decided to take an act3 for a change (stupid I only realised that in nightmare... ), I took a lightning one (no cold, yet again for the necro). The merc died 1 time till now, I think somewhere when he got stuck between 2 bloodlords, but the reason of his survival is of course that he was only 1 of the whole zoo my mate was leading. I plan to change this merc in the future, I just chose it for fun and the might added not that much damage anyway, but I will exp one later.

Sorry for this intro but I feel like typing ...

So now : things I used in my way to baal nm, which are great but need replacement at a certain time (all stuff taken from other chars or mules, which I keep for this kind of opportunities) :
    Tearhaunch boots (bit too lazy to find other ones, but they were good, resists and faster walk) ,
    Steelclash of course (we found 2 since we started our new chars lol ), Duskdeep (ow yeah, I used this one too long before I gave it to the merc ),
    Magnus gloves (for the 20% ias that was handy to get a higher frame BP)
    Most weapons until I could use Hand of Blessed Light were all too slow to be good, including some high damage rare, but I didn't take the time to look for real better ones just for normal difficulty.
    Lightsabre I used until Griswolds caddy was available, did very good, especially due it's speed.
    Amulets and rings were mostly rare with res, ll and ml (also manald heal for a while). I decided to drop most of the leech later, I don't see a point in getting 15%+ ll and ml for an avenger, it's really not worth it, I thought I could use the free space better.

1st target is : big damage at 9 frames.
    2nd target : 95/95/95/xx res at the end
    I made some calculations and I will reach it (although the cold will be exactly 95%).

Now I'm level 69, will gain one more level tomorrow and start off Hell. Currenly only 3 points in Vengeance, 10 in FR, CR, LR, 20 Conviction, 5 Holy shield, 1 Meditation, 1 Redemption.

Base Stat points :
    STR 95
    DEX 70
    VIT 245
    ENE 15
    10 Stat points reserve

Gear :
    Griswold weapon (3 sockets used for ed jewels, 1 free) total 346% ed now.
    Griswold Helm filled with 2 40% ed jewels (I socketed these some time ago for zealot, and I was bit disappointed).
    These 2 Griswold items give +2 Combat skills, +2 offensive aura's and +20 STR.
    Guardian angel socketed with rare 27% ed jewel, 1-70 light damage, 7% FHR
    Herald of Zakarum socketed with Pdiamond. FINALLY have this shield after playing diablo 2 for so long.
    Upgraded Nightsmoke belt
    Laying of the hands (to get the 60%ias needed for the 9 frames)
    War Travelers, the ones I always change character because I only have 1 pair...
    Very nice Amulet gambled a while ago : +2 Pala skills / 33% lightning resist / 27% mf / +3 maximum damage
    Ravenfrost
    Rare ring : 5% ll (only ll on whole char) / +1 energy ( :worship: ) / Cold res 29% / Fire res 13% / poison res 13%

Charms :
    The best anni i selffound : 15 stats/ 20% res (ok I admit this is the best item, without it I don't get the 95% FR CR LR). Still not active, because I'm not lvl 70 yet ;).
    4 cold res charms to get to the 95% at the end
    large charm : 8% fhr + 32 mana
    grand charm 28% LR / 22 life
    grand charm 58 mana / 25 life (found in this journey !)
    small charm 5% all res (also found once, I never trade charms, except for 7% ones)

I get to the 2nd FHR BP (15% thnx to that jewel in the GA, one of the reasons I decided that)

I think I now covered it all, Hell hasn't even started and already proud of it. Got all the gear I hoped I would have by then, this made playing to the next item req fun as always).
    After adding the 2 Griswold pieces I was astonished about the damage and I can't wait what it will do on hell and how many it will become when Vengeance is maxed (at lvl 82 if my calculations are correct). I still need a 4th jewel for the gris caddy also, so if anyone has a suitable one, check my thread in the Europe Trade part.

Before I started this I looked through some topics about 'the best weapon' for an avenger, many said Nord's, I kept it in my stash, but never used it, only to see the damage, and it was less than my caddy at lvl 69, so I was lucky I didn't waste a socket quest on it for a shael hehe.

Last words about the merc : as the act3 ones don't have much dex and strength, I had to give him crap most of the time (ethereal lol duskdeep, bloodletter, some unique trellised armor and mosers). Now he is wearing a lightsabre with a -15% req jewel with some small mods (I needed that jewel also when I used the ls), Crown of thieves (+25 dex), Lionheart in Archon Plate (stolen from my strafezon, +15 dex) and the mosers.

[edit]
    I'll give some numbers how my pala looks like now at lvl 69 :
    Vengeance damage : 1960-2518
    Attack rating isn't relevant for an avenger so I will not tell this hrhr
    1798 defence, 6023 with Holy shield
    1044 life
    278 mana
    Fire res : 72
    Cold res : 65
    Lightning res : 70
    Poison res : 22
    These res should be 95/95/95/52 with the anni and the Anya quest
    [/edit]

Greetings fellow paladins, please be welcome to share some other experiences concerning avengers, griswolds etc or criticise things I told ! :wave:

2. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Is it that boring huh :hanky:

3. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

looks very nice!!! Avengers are cool and one of the best caracters to kill DC!
    I will soon do myself an avenger! As soon as I get my hands on HOZ...

Never found Griswolds set items except the armour...which is quite common! But the rest...damn hard, hard, hard....i wonder if I ever gonna see Gris's caddy... :hanky:

I will soon start myself an avenger....but right now i play with my LF-zon and my meteorb sorc...got to bukd some wealth before startin new caracters!

Good luck and HAPPY AVNEGING!!! :thumbsup:

4. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Well, I traded lots of pieces for gris set, actually I have 2 full sets atm (one perfect weapon and one 230% ed). They are still valued Ist-Gul tho, the 4-socket ones I mean (traded them like that with hellforge rune drops).

And yes I can't wait to try him vs DC later when he is mature ;)

5. warriorrugger9

warriorrugger9 IncGamers Member

Looks like you have a great avenger build going there. :thumbsup: I have made two avengers myself. One build has vengeance maxed (high mana) and the other has only 1 point in vengeance, but has res light/cold/fire maxed. I decided to build the 1 point vengeance guy to see if he still ran out of mana like the maxed vengeance pally. I use tgods and verdungos on em...but thinking about using nightsmoke. How much better does it get once upgraded?

6. dark3

dark3 IncGamers Member

Mmmmm... seems a good pally, but... hemm.... where that amulet and ring came from?????? :scratch: I mean: U hav a zaka and u cannot find a better amu/rng????
    I think u'd hav to search for a Mara's as amu... for the ring dunno at the moment but sure there r better rings also for low prices somwhere...
    Only wanted to say this, other eqip seems very good :flip:

7. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Yeh I know I could use better ring and amu, but they still suit him good tho. Besides the anni, hoz and gris caddy he's quite cheap ;).
    They ask too mush for mara's these days, but that could free a spot for the ring (BK would be nice ... but expensive).

I upgraded teh nightsmoke beacause it has 16 potion slots available then instead of 12 ;)

8. eron

eron IncGamers Member

I found 1 point in Venegance with maxed synergy is better then than maxing venegance, you'll be drink blue potion mad in hell with vegenance maxed, usuall the +skill have already put it quite high and damage is not that much difference with either method. My avenger is using the full disciple set which is quite good and not difficult to find too.

9. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

I decided to stop maxing Vengeance as it indeed consumes too much mana, it's at level 8 now, +10 by skills, makes 18. Now I continue to put points in the 3 resist aura's. I get enough mana when they hit me, but they luckily don't hit me THAT much, I had to use too many times Meditation and Redemption (not often as I play with necro) and drank quite some mana potions, but still good playable.

10. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Lolz, I finished hell before I could socket that 4th empty slot on the caddy ;) I'm getting a nice one with +max, hope to reach the 4000 max damage with merc once. (Yeh, I changed the crappy act 3 merc for a might one again, that act3 died more than he even did damage, totally useless, even with maxed conviction)

11. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

O_O

I tried my gris set on this paladin now fir fun (11 of the 12 total sockets filled with 33-40% ed jewels) and the result is CRAZY. It seems vengeance damage is based not only at waepon ed, I have now 3800-4500 damage (with might merc), 3300-4000 without. Only bad thing is I dont have 95 res anymore of course, but other nice bonuses. Nice to know all this :D