Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pros and Cons of MF

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TopheavyHookjaw, Mar 26, 2004.

1. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Pros and Cons of MF

Now, let me start by saying that I am just as addicted to MFing as most of us are. There's nothing quite like the sight of that Golden Elite Item when it spins up into the air and drops next to a cluster of corpses.

However, I started thinking about this last night while doing a Pit run with my necro. The ability to find really good items too easily has definately warped the game. IMHO, it is just too easy to find really good items. This has done a couple of things:

-It has deflated the value of the decent items to the point of not being able to trade them at all and having to just give em away in newbie games.

-It has created a glut of average players in Hell games (high on the ladder) that have relatively no skills but have great items.

Now, there are more implications to this, but these were the ones that struck me the hardest.

Let me close by just restating that it too love MFing. I just think that it is just a little too easy. If the better items dropped a little less frequently, I think that we would appreciate the "other" ones that did drop a little bit more. This is especially true in HC were items are taken out of circulation fairly regularly due to deaths (of all kinds).

What do you all think?

2. TopheavyHookjaw

3. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Well, my friend, I think the subject is like a two sided sword, it cuts both ways.

I was always amazed when some guy had this really great item ... I don't know, let's say a Grandfather. "Probably" one of the best items in the game (1.09). I was thinking where the .... how the ... did he get that?

There are so many items in the game and yet so many I have never seen or found. My thoughts are, please don't make it harder on me. They already made it harder to get to 99.

Masa

4. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

What's your setup and who do you pray to to be so lucky? ;)

I have a large amount of mf(about 350) and to be honest, the drops haven't been that easy in the pit.

Just throwing it out there that luck is a big factor also. Some of us are in short supply of that.

5. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

My thoughts is who does it hurt. The people trying to sell stuff? The people who play all the time, do not need to trade anyway. If it is so easy to find stuff then why worry about trading? I have played this game way to much and still have not found tons of items. So, no if anything make mf easier. Let the casual gamer get the good gear too. Put e-bay selling out of business, and let everyone have more fun and play on a equal footing.

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Drops are much easier than in 1.09. I have never set my eyes on a full trangs or Ik set in Hc or SC and I have both now. Scheaffers dropped for me in my first week in Hell, and I have had about 10 Bstars and about the same amount of Light Sabers or which those three items I never had in HC 1.09

I have had 8 Guls 6 Ists, couple of Mals MANY Lems and a few Lums, and on this list I only ever had 1 LEM and 4 Lums total before and I only had a Gul and Vez once in SC with thousands of runs.

Bosses drop to easy......they didnt nerf the bosses. The Pit drops but it doesnt drop like bosses. Eldritch, Shenk, Pindle "the easy to get to uniques" that were suppose to get nerfed seem to drop better than ever!

Now, anyone that has had the best gear knows the game isnt near as challenging while wearing it. This unfortunately burns out people which is evident by the mass exodus from this game of a lot of long term players.

I have a tons of crap, hell I give away better stuff now than the stuff I had at the end of 1.09!

In many ways 1.10 realy helped this game, but over all i think it is slowly choking it to its son to come death! It is truly sad actually but all things change!

7. TopheavyHookjaw

I definatley agree to this.

As to some of the other observations...yes, a lot has to do with luck but I would say that back in 1.09, I had managed to find/trade for every item in the game. A bit harder in 1.10 with all the new items, but I am on my way. I'm a bit of collector...or pack rat. Depends on how you look at it.

8. TopheavyHookjaw

Hmmm. Well, maybe that is really the problem then. The boys (and girls) at Blizzard should have done a better job of nerfing the Bosses and left the MF the same for all the other creatures in the game.

9. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

Stinger, I still have never found a b-star or lightsaber. My highest rune was an ist which i made a delirum with. This is with 8 70 + chars. Yes I have found more in 10 than 9 but for the hours played still missing tons of gear. As far as people leaving because of the gear, i dont think so. Most just get bored, it happens.
    When I'm not finding gear I actually get boared quicker. Ive played more in version 10 because of the ability to find stuff. Most people seem to quit more out of dying and not wanting to rebuild.

10. stemis516

stemis516 IncGamers Member

it would also be nice if they could reset the ladder every 3 months or so instead of however long this current one is going to last...then the "Easy" drops dont seem so easy since u have less time to find items and put them to use

11. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

I never MF. I find it BOOOOOORING. Additionally, most MF is solo play. And if I'm gonna play solo, I'd much rather play SP; no lag, Atma's, /players x, pause when you need a break. SP is vastly superior to Realms play if you're playing solo. The realms are for multiplayer gaming, spending hours upon hours playing there by yourself seems crazy to me. I'm a quester, that's the way I like to play. But some folks really like to treasure hunt, and that's cool too. The great thing about this game is that different people can enjoy different aspects, and still share the same game.

This is the biggest problem I have with MFing though. The people who power game a MFer, then run for hours on end to find all the best items. Then they get bored with everything they have and continually scream for a ladder reset. And assume that everyone is the same. The GAT Friends group that I played with started within a week of the 1.10 release, and we just finished questing through the entire game last night, after weekly games. Yet people have been calling for a reset at least since the beginning of the year. If you wanna rush through the game, and find all the items, and get bored because the game is so incredibly easy when you have top end gear, knock yourself out. But respect those who enjoy taking the scenic route, and let us play our game too. If the ladder is reset more often than once a year, you're gonna drive off all the players like me.

12. TopheavyHookjaw

Whoa now. Easy there with the assumptions.

I played this game through with a group at the release of the 1.10. I personally found it too easy when you are in a group of good players who have designed their characters to support each other (took us less than a week).

I then played it through solo for the challenge...twice (and I didn't even use a hammeradin). I even did all the quests (except for Hell Nihl...I may be brave, but I ain't stupid).

In order to get through solo, I needed some items (granted, not uber) and that is where I started MFing and trading.

I still enjoy MFing both solo and in open games.

Not all MFers do things solo. Not all MFers just rush through the game to MF the Holy Trio or do Pit Runs.

13. Ka0s047

Ka0s047 IncGamers Member

I too find mfing boring, but i do it for the simple fact of...I NEED ITEMZZZ!!!111!!...lol
    But serisoulsy i dont like doing it, but i see it as a fact of life, i need the items, this is how i have to do it...(Even though i havnt found anything off my ESP/pit runs ever...Maybe its because i have a whole 1% mf)

14. Bongo Fury

Does anyone else see the inconsistency here? You claim to not rush through the game, yet you accomplished in less than a week what took us 5 months.

But hey, if that's what you like, knock yourself out. Just don't call for a ladder reset because you're bored.

15. Bongo Fury

IMO, you only need the items if you wanna power game, or solo in 8 player games. And like I said, if I'm gonna play by myself, SP is a MUCH better option.

My Sorc that quested through with the Friends group had no unique or set items on her or her merc. I got by just fine with blue, yellow and socketed (not runeword) items. If you play in a co-op party, items aren't that necessary.

16. stemis516

stemis516 IncGamers Member

well then my friend, bongo fury, u are very lucky

i have tried about 3 attempts at an untwinked team and they all failed, not becasue of death, but becasue the majority of the time no one showed up....im happy that u got a good group to go all the way, thatd be hella-fun i bet

but i dont have a uber1377 number of friends on the realms...when i can i play with a group, even if its sadly a pubby

and i sure aint no power mfer..i mf rarely, i do probably 5 runs and only continue if my luck is good, which is hardly ever

i just suggested a ladder reset to prevent all those power mfers that u mentioned...now yes, it would screw over players like urself who enjoy fully questing the game over time

but there is no solution that can plz everyone, that was just my suggestion

17. TopheavyHookjaw

Well...

A) We played everyday for about a week (many hours a day) because we could.

B) My solo projects took about a month each (with 2 character deaths I didn't even mention that both happened after about 3 weeks and 75 levels).

C) I'm not bored with the game and that is not what my post was about

D) I never called for a ladder reset

E) If it took you 5 months, then you either played for small amounts of time infrequently or you really suck. Since I've read some of the posts by the GAT group, I'd say that they seem to be a fairly intelligent bunch, so I'll give you the benfit of the doubt and go with the former rather than the latter.

My post was just pointing out that while MFing is fun and "a part of the game" [damn, where have I heard that before], that it also has caused its share of problems.

18. Bongo Fury

Isn't that exactly what I said? Why are we disagreeing? Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe you weren't talking to me.

We played every week (missed a week at Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years), for about 2 hours a session, and averaged slightly less than 1 act per week. We did a thorough clear of all areas, including the ones nobody goes (two words, Swampy Pit, LOL, some folks here will never forget). I was just trying to illustrate that not everyone plays as much or as hard as the folks on this forum. IMO, the people here are quite unusual and play much more than most players.

19. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

With respect to both sides, I started reading this thread thinking, "aaah, another person bragging how 733t (whatever) they are and need a reset because it's too easy" :rant:

I don't play much. I've stopped playing during the week, unless I happen to be really bored for some reason. I maybe play 5 hours a week most of the time. Every once in a while I get sick and play most of the day or something, but the 5 hours is more common... anyway.

I usually have expressed the opinion in the past of not wanting a reset for at least a year, because I know that I won't have any good items for that length of time.

I haven't gotten a single ladder hellforge quest yet. I don't have a group of friends any more, due to the low amount of playing I do now. I'm not going to risk trying one in a pubby, and I haven't gotten a character to that point of being able to solo it yet. I haven't given or gotten a rush since 1.10 started.

Well, by the time I read to the end of this thread, I realized that the purpose of the ladder is not for people like me. I think that I've been thinking in a selfish way in the past. People like me should live with the messed up economy and play regular characters, or live with playing mostly untwinked. The ladder should really be reset every 2-3 months for those people who play a ton. That would keep the game fresh for them. :thumbsup:

Maybe at some point Blizz will agree with me and change this. I hope so, for the sake of all the people who have the time and inclination to play a lot. :idea:

20. TopheavyHookjaw

OK. That is one variable that I didn't consider with my opening statements. The fact is that the power gamers who play 6 hours a day every day are going to naturally find more items. There is nothing that we can do about this and it is the consequence of having a game that is accessable 24/7.

On the flip side, if MF was lowered (at least for Bosses and such) so that uniques and set items become harder to find, there would be a lot less of them floating around...even with the difference in time investment.

After all, they are supposed to be "UNIQUE"

Hey, on a side note. Has anyone else here noticed that armors seem to drop a lot less than everything else? Or is that just my luck?