Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Project Moirae

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zefimas, May 28, 2008.

1. Zefimas

Zefimas IncGamers Member

Project Moirae

Hey there guys!

I've been thinking the last couple of weeks of a goal I would like to accomplish in Diablo 2. No not collecting all HR runewords or something like that, I know that the chance of achieving that is close to zero, but I was thinking of something more fun, rewarding, and very stylish:cool:

You see, I've become quite fond of my lv 51 kick/trapsin. You can do so much with just one character and she's just so complex and fun to play:thumbsup:
    But I misplaced a skillpoint and I'm going to remake her, not that much work, and I thought: well why not aim to make her my ultimate, "do-everything" character.

So I've done some reading and the things that are sure are these:
    Death sentry max
    Lightning sentry max and 1 point in prereqs
    1 point in CoS, PH, CM, BoS and Fade
    No MB because I think CoS suffices in the safety department,
    and no shadow because they distract me more than something else
    and I prefer to increase the damage output.

For the other things, I've got some questions.
    What would be best to aim for for hard points in Dtalon?
    I read 18 if you wanna reach 24 with +skills, 20 if going for 30.

Another dilemma I have is whether I should go for maxing CBS OR Venom?
    Venom would help quiet a lot with the kicking I think, but CBS adds some good damage to the traps. On the other hand, I've heard that in Hell Death sentry does the main killing with coprse explosion, so is it really worth it to mainly boost the damage of LS then?

Since she's a hybrid, she'll probably have 2 sets of weapons, prob one dual claws for the big trap boost and c/s for kicking. Now I don't really know whether I should go for max block with the shield side and pump dex, or if it's maybe possible to go kicker with dual claws too and go ahead and boost vita above all else. Then I would also certainly put one point in Weapon Block.

And last question, would it be worth it to put one point in the three blade skills? Because when I'd max venom, BF would actually be quiet useful, and BS looks cool and like I said before, I LOVE style:tongue:

Well those are my questions for now, hope you guys understand the questions and that you'll help me building my dream character:thumbsup:

*edit*: And btw she's named Moirae after the three Greek Sisters of Fate, seemed like a cool name for an assassin

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Re: Project Moirae

I'd say stick those points you have in LS into Fireblast, 18 fire blast puts your death sentry at 11 shots which will be a huge corpse explosion bonus for you, lightning damage isn't great from traps unless you go full out trapper the reason to use DS is for the corpse explosions which will set off first anyways, with a kicker/trapper you want your traps to stunlock enemies and to deal cheap damage like corpse explosions does, reason many kicker trappers use DS and WoF as their traps it's not really for damage but more for control and speed.

By the way DS at high levels kills 2-3 screens away on players 1, my old trapper in 1.10 Hell mode would find half the monsters dead when they came in view.

If you go the venom route, make sure to wear trangs gloves since venom acts like enchant in that it is applied when cast then applied when a melee skill is used, which means you gain effectively 56.25% to your venom damage just by wearing trangs gloves.

1 in blade fury, that skill is very powerful with 1 point in it, the other blade skills are not great nor worth points, just the 1 point pre-req as required.

3. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Style-points for the idea to make an all-around build :thumbsup:

As far as the "misplaced" point goes, it's not much of a deal unless you aim for late 90's. Read: you can always do one more level :wink3: On the other hand, if you really love assassins.. I made four pure lightning javazons :hide:

Mind Blast can be annoying in combination with Shadow Warrior - she tends to use this skill in a very stupid fashion, but you can easily take one or the other. I have no experience with Venom aside from CtC one from Treachery used by other classes.

Taking Charged Bolt Sentry would IMO make your build too one-sided which is against the original idea :scratch:

Kicking favors strength over dexterity, though the difference is not that big taking into account that you must hit in the first place. In either case, investing too many points into vita will severely reduce your offense, so don't go overboard here.

4. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

I agree with Uzziah that DS + LS seems like a waste of the latter 20 points. The way I see it, there are two main kinds of kick/trap hybrids:

A) trap-oriented with DTalon for act bosses and the like.
    B) kick-oriented with DS for area-of-effect damage.

For A) I'd put a enough points in DTalon to reach the maximum number of kicks with my +skills. Anything else goes into the trap tree. For B), you'll obviously max DS. You can count the points for DTalon if you want, but the added AR from a few extra points won't hurt you. Anything else into the shadow tree. And I'd definitely consider putting enough points in fade for 50% DR. Just beware of cursed bosses if you do :wink3:

Personally, I'd go no-block for both types. A) doesn't really need blocking anyway, as you'll rarely be in melee range against anything more dangerous than Baal. B) might benefit from it, depending on your playstyle. I personally like to get in the thick of it, and rely on leech and inflicting hit recovery to make it out. So suddenly stopping to block is a big no-no to me.

A) will probably want to go dual-claw for the +skills on her main switch. The kicking switch doesn't really matter, as long as it's fast and has lots of CB. B) will be a little more picky about kicking gear. Reaching that last breakpoint while maintaining a high AR is suddenly much more important. If you can get some more safety in here, go for it.

Mind Blast stinks throughout the first 14 acts of the game. Then you'll hit the hell ancients, followed shortly by Lister's last incarnation. If CoS is your only means of crowd control, you'll want to smack your head into a wall at that point. Trust me...

Blade Fury is pretty much a must for B) if for no other reason than to deal with IM. And with the right weapon, it'll get you through a lot of other tight spots as well. For A) it'd just be a relatively small amount of damage piled on top of your traps. Might be neat, but I think your skillpoints and gear could be better spent elsewhere. Keep in mind that due to the 3/4 damage penalty (which applies to venom as well) you'll need a fairly big weapon to make those shurikens hurt anything.

For reference, I have a 'sin based on a similar* idea parked in Hell A1. She went talon/DS/shadow. Weapon was a windhammer. Great speed, CB and shuriken damage. Plus the CtC twister faster than a druid could does wonders for your crowd control. But I wanted her to carry 200+ MF as well. Combined with needing 200+ points in strength for the hammer, half the pit's archer packs could kill her before she got a CoS in.

*) The original idea was dubbed safety-sin. It was based on the premise that with enough points in fade and one of the shadows, she'd be able to reach a respectable amount of safety from skills alone. That was supposed to allow me some MF gear without sacrificing survivability.

5. Zefimas

Zefimas IncGamers Member

Ok thank you so much for your replies so far, keep them comming:thumbsup:
    Very good pointing out that those points in LS are better spent in FB, 5/6 more explosions/ trap WILL do more than the increase in lightning damage I guess:p Not sure whether I'll put 15 or 18 in it though... ( It's all about the perfect balance with this character, so those 3 points could be well spent elsewhere, and won't most monster be dead after ~50 corpse explosions?:rolleyes:)

Since some skillpoints become available with not maxing lightning sentry, I'll follow your advice muzzz and put a point in MB...
    And I'm happy to be able to put a point in it, again if only for the all-round style:p

So let's see what we have till now:
    FB: 15-18
    SW, CBS and LS: 1 point
    DS: 20
    BS, BF and BS: 1 point ( yeah BS for looks, sue me:p)
    1 point in all Shadow Disciplines except the two shadows, and
    Venom: 20
    And to finish it all up: 18 for sure in Dtalon, I can always add 2 more if I see that a next kick is possible with my equip.

So, assuming the basic 15 FB and 18 DT, this means 86 skill points spent, which means 24 more skillpoints assuming a perfect lv 99 character, to be spent as I like ( I know I won't reach that, but remember, this char is my long-term goal in diablo, so I plan everything to have Moirae become the sexiest package of assassin goodness you've seen on the SPF :tongue:)

Anyway, thanks to those who've already replied, I really appreciate the effort you've put into your posts, and I hope many more will drop buy to give some more oppinions:grin:

Big cheers

6. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I've got a 'Sin I built along similar lines. Will have to go home and check out my exact skill placement but will let you know.

7. Zefimas

Zefimas IncGamers Member

Would be very much appreciated, thank you:smiley: