Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Project: Hardcore

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RadTang, Mar 8, 2016.

1. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

As I have written in my "hello" thread, I have decided to play clean (no unsupported mods). Had to get rid of my veteran Sorceress as I ran into unexpected problems... To spice things up, I'm going for my 1st Hardcore character. The only ease-of-life feature will be hotmuling. I will post a new post or edit this one with informations about his progress.

For a 1st hardcore character, I have decided to try Necromancer (recommended fishymancer build). I don't want to make another MeteOrb to not die of even more boredom. :p Sadly, the only remains of my Sorceress are the photos and comments I have put on facebook...

Never played Hardcore. Never really tried any other chars than barbarian / sorceress.

I'm still reading a guide - http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/fishymancer-version-2-1.349093/

I'm still thinking about a name... my real life name would be too ordinary... necro is male so I can't name him after my professor (without her help and encouraging I wouldn't even apply on my university PhD programme ! ).. maybe ProPublicoBoneO ? I used to do a lot of "community work" for my friends during my major. A lot of helpful resources were made by me and used by others + scanned books. The pun is free of charge and it comes from Lawyer Dog meme. ;)

https://www.rover.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/lawyer-corgi.jpg

So, arise from your grave, ProPublicoBoneO, the world of Sanctuary needs You !

Warning: this will be a LONG post.

Edit: so far so good... lvl 10 and haven't died :D The dead man lives ! Live ! Live ! And promise I keeeep ! ;) Found two useful things for other chars - a rare small shield with resists (all +3% and two other bonuses to them) and damaged eagle orb with +1 fire bolt (as a alternative to starting staff).

Haven't found any other special things except being near death few times. :p Damn rogue archers ! Entered the Cave on Cold Plains and right at the entrance - a pack with a boss. Had to escape that dungeon as I was too weak to kill them...

Corpse explosion kicks asses ! So cool and yet so low. This range hurts. So mostly I amp the ranged attackers and then other monsters and watch them die.

Char stats (from partial report from ATMA):

Character name : ProPublicoBoneO
    Character type : Hardcore Necromancer
    Character level : 10
    Character exp : 61416

Strength : 30
    Energy : 40
    Dexterity : 25
    Vitality : 30
    Stat Points Rem : 0
    Skill Points Rem: 0

Life : ** / **
    Mana : 77 / 73
    Stamina : 113 / 103

Gold (Inventory): 0
    Gold (Stash) : 14941

I'm going to bed now.. it's 2 AM now and I feel tired. I was in the Dark Wood, got Inifuss and later I will do Tristram. :)

Edit: just found my 1st head - much worse than buckler but as far as I get +skills from it it's all ok. :) Also, found a nice replacement for the initial wand. The repair cost was 1k+...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit again: The Countess has fallen. Lost 1 skeleton but after 1-2 of her minion died, I ce'd the rest. Got 3 runes (2x eth, 1 tal) and advanced to lvl 13. I have taken Skeletal Mage as a skill - just level 1, to have the requirements for Revive met and also some extra ranged support for skeletons. Might put a few points later, much later. In normal, I want to max Raise Skeleton as soon as it's possible so I won't take any other golems skills (except mastery & summon resist). Skills to be learned in normal: terror and decrepify. I will aim for attract later, maybe in nightmare and after I max skeletons.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    PandadudeSP likes this.
  2. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Nice, good luck !!!

3. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Thanks ! :) I have cleared Den of Evil now. Pretty easy at Normal :D I like to help my skeletons with my wand + amp dmg. I can't do much more so far and won't be able to help them more in melee combat but if I wanted to participate in melee combat, I would take a Javazon / Spearazon and fight with my Valkyrie (or a Druid with a bear).

4. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

duriel and diablo can be tough for this build, even in normal. hell mode can be tough as you can get killed in an instant

5. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

I supposed that Duriel would be a problem. This room is too small + the entrance / exit is so small and hard to click. Have to have decrep of course. And defensive merc. Prayer might be too weak to outheal duriel dmg. I hope I will pass the game at hell mode.. never done that.

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Duriel will be easy if you keep pumping Raise Skeleton.

7. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

I'm lvl 13 now and RS is at 4. I have bought a wand adding +1 to golem and +3 to skeleton mastery. They're agoing to outdamage me soon as I have some extra +poison dmg from head & charm. I will put few levels in RS in act 1, after I get the required one skill for decrepify.

8. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

RS makes your skellies much tougher than SM. Either way, Diablos's lightning hose will destroy them instantly. I failed Diablo on p8 with an untwinked necro. On P1 I barely scratched by.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

I'm playing on P1 all the time. Diablo's lightning attacks is his weakness too - for MeteOrb (long casting animation). But the damage is not to be underestimated. Now I'm lvl 14 and will pump RS till I hit 24 (decrepify). After 24-25 I will be able to go on Duriel. Better to get 1 more level for safety reasons.

10. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

The trick is to use revives. For most gameplay, they're awkward enough that people eschew them. They're clumsy, they require babysitting, their timers are annoyingly short and nothing extends them, they tend to wander off and disappear before those timers actually run out, and they're just downright frustrating to rely on. But they're still the most powerful minions overall. The right revives can make quick work of Diablo, in Hell, on /players8.

I've played on /players8 a lot. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that, as gear gets better, the killing power of a poison-invested necromancer easily surpasses that of a pure summoner. If I had to do it all again untwinked, I might go hybrid...

11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Decrep and Clay Golem keep most act bosses at bay pretty well, methinks. Diablo can be a real pain though.

In general your Curses should keep you safe: Decrep for fast and / or hard hitting monsters and Dim Vision for ranged attackers, casters and revivers mostly. I also like Attract a lot, as it puts focus away from you.

12. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Thanks :) I'm currently close to fight with Andariel. RS is lvl 7, RM is 4 (+3 from wand), CG is 4 (+3 from wand & head) and Raise Mage is 3 (bonus from wand). Curses & CE are still lvl 1. I'm not doing any dex as I have crappy shield. That +3 to bone armor should be sufficient in normal (40 dmg "capacity").

Just got my 1st unique item !
    [​IMG]

And it's perfect ! Good work, my skeletons (and golem too) ! :p

Edit: killed Andariel. What a tough fight ! She can basically one shoot my creeps !

By the way, is this a "fire" golem? :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    T72on1 likes this.
  13. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Looks like you're doing well. The next Act boss is a lot harder, but you have plenty of time to get stronger before that. If you don't have Decrepify by then, you'll definitely need to go TP back to replenish your army a few times (because there are no corpses in the room and it is sealed, blocking all exits until you win).

14. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Agreed. I would strongly advice on getting to level 24 and Decrep before tackling Duriel. The false tombs are a good place for that.

15. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Thanks ! OFC I won't go to solo duriel without decrep. He's very fast. No melee fun in act 2+ - base dex means very low chance to hit anything. By the end of act 1, my to-hit was about 70% (Dark Ones and so on). It was funny to smash Dark Ones with my wand to poison them :D Next hard place: maggot lair. This place sometimes seems too small for even 1 player...

Wow... no joke, 1.14 is real :O New game's exe. No more XP compatibility.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  16. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Sorry for resurrecting my old thread.
    I have killed Baal just a while ago. He was decrepified + chilled by my mages. Took a while to kill him.
    He dropped unique Voulge and 2 set items.

Had to cheat as during Diablo run my necro was killed... Rescued him from copied files. As a punishment, some items were lost (few nice charms - +30 def, +22 life one and nearly all my topazes I have cubed for better mf in new hat).

Though my necro is Destroyer now, I'm not very proud of it. Had to cheat. I'm a loser... Even my body hurts... Hope that I will never ever need to do anything else than S&E... I was too obsessed with MF that ignored resistances... maybe if I had lightning at 75% I might be alive...

I want to kill myself anyway... a month from my life is wasted... could achieve much more than this...

17. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

its not wasted, when a character might die, YOU have the memories and the experience. I don't think any HC player goes through without ever losing a character. You had to tick that box that death is permanent, but you don't fully appreciate it until you have seen that deeds of valor post and you think, oh no, its gone!

Some people can't hack HC and will go back to SC.

Some will fire up another character.

Some will feel the pain for some time, then move on.

Don't give up straight away, but you really shouldn't restore a backup. If you continue to play HC, I really think you should follow the spirit of the game. Keep in mind everyone can do on their computer what they want, but you are tainting yourself in a way where other HC players won't want to play/trade with you for doing that.

18. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP IncGamers Member

@RadTang the majority of players here opt for SC precisely because they don't like losing their progress and starting over. SC is less stressful, and I played SC for the majority of my time with D2 because I died a lot on SC difficulty. For other RPG games like d3 and xcom I don't choose hardcore/ironman either because I know I will probably die multiple times because I haven't yet learned every aspect of the game; what all the monsters do, how to build my characters, etc.

Today when I play d2 I tend to die because of a lack in judgement rather than a lack of information. I KNOW that diablos lightning attack is super dangerous, I KNOW that beetles are dangerous, I KNOW that FE explosions are dangerous while I don't need to be wary of many other bosses and monsters. Even so, I've lost 3 chars to FE explosions and one to beetle charged bolts in maybe 6 months. Extended stashes means I don't lose everything when I die, so the next character will hopefully have an easier time.

Timinator likes this.
  19. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

If you need to restore from backup you shouldn't be playing hardcore. Delete the necro and get over it, start from the beginning.

Timinator likes this.
  20. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Sorry for the loss RadTang. But I agree with the rest: don't restore a dead HC character, it doesn't make sense to play HC in that case. I lost my level 95 Sorc yesterday. Yes it stings. But that's the way it goes (or can go) in HC. It's not for everyone, so if that's not what you seek in a game, revert to SC. To each their own.

Also, don't see it as wasted time. It's a statement I often see on the internet. I dont' get it. If you enjoyed the journey, then it''s not wasted time at all. Because that is why we play computer games: to enjoy the time we spend on them.

XyleneCyanol likes this.