Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Progressing through Hell?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by PoorWalrus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. PoorWalrus

PoorWalrus IncGamers Member

Progressing through Hell?

Hello,

I have played this game on and off for a couple of years but now I have a bit of spare time and am wanting to take it more seriously. However, once again I have completed the 5 acts on nightmare and find myself floundering in a mysterious dead zone! By now I can easily kill Baal - and have about 50 times in the last few days - but am barely able to progress in Hell! Sure I can kill stuff (that isn't immune!) but things touch me and I die. (I am currently a 76 Blizz Sorc.)

Is it just a lack of good gear? But how can I find decent stuff when I can't even get to any of the classic MF places in Hell! Also - is running the Mausoleum in hell really going to get me better gear than constantly running Baal in Nightmare?

On a slightly related note - are gems really good for trading? I always see people trying to swap X piece of awesome gear for Y piece, but never 700 pgems for X! Or do you trade your Gems for Runes, and work your way up?

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Re: Progressing through Hell?

In hell, your resists are at -100 for starters. Nightmare is -40.

Also as far as MF goes, you did not mention which character you are running with, some are better than others. For example, a Fishymancer can pretty much make it through hell using only what he finds. They aren't very gear dependent. On the other side of things, a Hammerdin will nearly destroy anything in his path, with the exception of certain monsters in Act III.

For M, running the Pits (Act 1, Tamoe Highlands in Hell) is better than Baal because the area is easier. Same goes for Crypt and Mausoleum. They are the Same Alvl (TC 85) Then the WSK and Baal, but easier to run.

Some guides that might help:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=666476

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=412453

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=422336

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=406929

And this threadfor the links in it: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495535

3. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

I find myself in the same situation as you are. Own in NM, get owned in Hell. The gap is very much greater than what it once was in 1.09d days at least.

I find it may work better that you use your NM as your MF basis and find runes/rune words/middle unique gear as you work your way up. I think people are buying p gems for either crafting or just making basic MF gear (like 3 topaz helm, 4 topaz armor, etc). So by all means, if you have the opportunity to trade gems for things you'd need, do so (if you want to that is), because Gems are probably the easiest things to get hold of, even runes are not as easy to get as they are save for the very low ones.

4. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

on the forums here, it's almost always possible to trade perfect gems to ppl for some decent gear, or upgrade them to runes. ppl always need pgems for rerolling baal charms or diadems or whatever they do.

and yeah, resistances is usually the biggest change between NM and hell, plus you'll find a lot more unique monsters with a ton more mods than you found in NM....and esp lightning enchanted, which will kill you really quickly. work on getting your resistances up, watch out for cold immunes (if you're a blizzsorc), and make sure your merc is tanking for you.

5. TraderScope

TraderScope IncGamers Member

Besides of what has already been said.. How much LIFE you actually have atm? That red bouble comes more important as you progress from NM to Hell and you generally want at least 1000 in Hell to feel comfortable. Also the skill-build of your character affects largerly how difficult times you have there.

A good idea is too look for what runewords you could possible be able to make for yourself. Maybe you lack a rune or two that you could trade from someone? Or maybe you could craft some gear for yourself?

6. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

If you list your gear, maybe we can make recommendations for improvements. Read a blizz sorc guide if you haven't already. They usually recommend end-game gear and specify which mods are most important.

Bear in mind that single element sorcs will always have trouble doing general PvM in hell. If you have 20-30 skill points to spare (or expect to have them soon), then pick a skill in light or fire that won't take a lot of points to do good damage (consider nova since it has no synergies). A blizz sorc is very good for boss running (esp Meph) but is somewhat limited against large mobs of smaller monsters.

Another approach is to try to really deck out your mercenary. Equip him with high defense armor, high damage weapon, life steal and damage reduction if you can. A good tank goes a long way in hell. You didn't mention a merc at all; have you not been using one?

7. PoorWalrus

PoorWalrus IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My sorc is single tree because in single player I played a meteorb, and by ~ 70 even with much better gear my damage was next to pathetic - I put it down to terrible synergies.

75 STR
    300 VIT
    base DEX/NRG

Skills are 20 Blizz, Blast, Glacier, Cold Master, ~5 ice bolt, 1 warm, tele, static

As for gear - I have goldwrap belt and chance gloves, some faster run boots, haemaso's cuirass, a rubbish hat, 35% mf ring, +3 cold ammy, and a +2 to all cold skills staff. unfortunately it does leave me with -20/-5/6/4 in resistances - in NM! Hell things are decidedly worse. Using an Act 2 HF Merc just equipped with the junk I have so far.

I do have a wizard spike in my stash, but am 50 dex short to use it. Is it worth getting to 75 dex just for that? or is that going to be 10 levels of wasted points?

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Work your resistances up. Even with items I could shop in town, I would be able to get better items and fill them with resistance socketables. Gamble Circlets to get a decent one with skills. Throw away your staff, get 4socketed Monarch (need 156 STR!) and Crystal Sword and make Spirits from them. That should help with killing and resistances. Get your merc Insight elite polearm.

It really surprises me that you got 35MF ring when your other gear sucks so badly.

Baal in NM drops more consistantly, area running is much less rewarding, but if you do that in right areas, you can get the rarest items in the game and lot of items NM Baal can't drop. However with your gear, I would suggest going back to NM Mephisto to loot some basic gear quickly.

9. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

yeah that staff is killing you.

10. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I agree with the above, except that you should get a 3 soc shield, and put 3 p diamonds in it. That's +57% res all. A monarch is better, but you won't have enough stat points to use it anytime soon. Consider using a monarch, whether for spirit or resists, later. A very good shield to use for res and block is Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 p diamonds.

11. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Well, consider your options. The only thing you can really do is to face the facts. You are a poor player and are starting with nothing. Naturally, you aren't really supposed to be able to solo hell anyway.
    The good thing is: your cold sorc wouldn't do much for you in hell that she can't do in Nightmare. 4 Skillpoints, 5 attribute points and more levels is what you can expect to find in hell.

You can do two things: play around in NM till you drop, or start another character. Your call.

In your situation I'd invest points for wizard spike btw, purely because I really would if I were in your situation.

12. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

I think you have the nucleus of a good hell mephisto runner using blizzard there but its all gear dependant. You will also need to develop your mercenary to get through the rest of the game.

Spirit sword(33fcr needed), vipermage, mosers, with gambled +3 cold skills amulet and headgear (can be got for perfect gems in trade)would make quite difference to your damage output and survivability.