Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Progress Report : Life based Tesladin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by halohalo, Mar 15, 2004.

1. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Progress Report : Life based Tesladin

I have a Ladder(East) Tesladin on the way. So far he's lvl 68, and going fast. I've never hit Hell yet, but I'm pretty confident he will do well from what I see. Nevertheless, I would like to take some advices and suggestions b4 I enter Hell.

Name : Giant-Electron, lvl 68
    Stats :
    95 base str, 115 on screen
    116 base dex, 136 on screen
    (no more points will be spent on str or dex)
    rest into vitality, 200+ on screen.
    none into energy

Skills : (now/will-be)
    +4 to all skills - will add anni later for +5
    ~10/20 Salvation (not sure how much I put)
    20/20 holy shock
    20/20 resist lightning
    2/1 conviction (made a mistake of 1 more skill)
    1/20 holy shiled
    1/1 vengeance
    0/1 redemption
    1 into Zeal, 1 Sacrifice(prereq)

Setup :
    Guillaume's Face, with IAS/max jewel
    Highlord's ammy
    Crescent Moon(ShaelUmTir) phase blade
    Skin of Vipermagi, 23 resist - will change to Naj's plate later
    Hoz, with UM
    Lavagout
    String of ears
    Gorerider
    RavenFrost Ring
    CarrionWind Ring
    - No skill charms except for an anni later

Explanations on Stats/setups/skills
    - Low Str :
    This build is not aimed on nice physical dmg. Rather, it relies on Crushing Blows(50%), Deadly Strikes(30%) and Open Wound(35%). And as you can see, all other gears are relatively low in str req(especially the naj's armor), so you don't need much str for dmg or gear.
    - Some Dex :
    There's some considerable Dex put into this build, for 2 reasons : Blocking, and to wield phaseblade. Joined with Hoz's high block and Holy shield, this build is expected to have max blocking throughout the game.
    - Rest Life :
    Take advantage of low str :)
    - No mana :
    I have figured that zeal consumes almost no mana, even when low lvl. Combined with '%dmg taken goes to mana', which I aim to be 55%, will prove useful too. When low lvl, I used angelic sets which provide 20% dmg to mana.

- Low Zeal :
    Zeal adds both dmg and AR to your attack. But when you are using CM runeword, you have ITD, so you don't need AR (especially when you have considerable dex). Dmg wise, as I have explained in 'Low Str' section, Who cares. Your CM phaseblade is poor on physical dmg anyways.
    - Max all synergies :
    Taking advantage of low zeal and low sacrifice. Points into Salvation will even add synergy to Vengeance.
    - Vengeance and Conviction :
    For the rare case of Physical AND light immunes. Or party play(conviction).
    - Max Holy Shield :
    High defense can't hurt. I am thinking of using a defiance merc, which will give me some niiice defense. There are not really any other skills to max or invest.

- Overall Gears :
    For the above reasons, the choice of gear is kinda obvious. I'd like to emphasize that my setup is far from being godly. If I were more able, I would have tried a Frostdin with Doom runeword. All these setups will cost less than a third of an enigma.
    - IAS Jewel :
    All these setups will give +75% to IAS. Combined with Phaseblade[-30], this means 4fps Zeal WITHOUT fanat aura! How kool :D 5fps zeal and 4 fps makes a huge difference. It means 1 more hit every second. Faster killings.
    - Lavagout :
    I expected this glove to show me some action with it's enchant. It proved to be not much of the use. However, some fire dmg can't hurt and the resist is nice. IAS is a must.
    - Naj's plate :
    I don't know why ppl neglect this wonderful armor. It's low in str req, huge life, all resist, and +1 skill. I would like to call this armor a 'mini CoH'. All the mods on this armor seem like it's specially tailored for this build.
    - Carrion Wind Ring :
    Obviously for Leech, seconly for resist, but also because of it's twister mod. 8% chance isn't that bad when you are hitting 4fps. Twister will stun your enemy for a bit, which helps not to be hit. This ring and CM phaseblade launches Twisters, Chain lightning and static field, which is quite gorgeous in action.

Viablilty
    So far he's more than ready to enter Hell. His resist maxed in nm, 2 more anya quests left, Has an extra UM to socket in armor. Dmg wise, he's doing nm baal runs in an 8 ppl game as if he is soloing. Not much problem is seen against lighning immunes. Some more health would help, I guess.

Questions
    - Leech :
    It seems to me that 16% leech is not really enough. This is one part I am concerned. I don't seem to leech off those huge Cblows as much as I expected. Penalty on leech will be bigger in Hell. What should I do?
    - Merc :
    I have nice merc gear ready. But I just can't decide which merc to use. I think either defiance or HF merc, but so far HF merc don't seem very effective. If I am to use defiance merc, I will have to lvl him from normal act2 :(, or just hire him from Hell and endure a few lvl difference in defiance aura. What shall I do?

2. Cod

Cod IncGamers Member

actually that sounds very similar to the guy i've been working on the last few weeks who is a crushing shockadin. he's got about 85-90% crushing blow and uses fully synergized holy shock, and he works extremely well in hell. as far as the merc goes though i would definitely keep the holy freeze one simply because he slows down all of the enemies, and for me that's a lifesaver. i use an upgraded rattlecage and that has around 30-40% chance to flee, and as soon as a chilled enemy decides to flee i'll have plenty of time to kill him before it'll start attacking me again.

3. Rascargil

Rascargil IncGamers Member

hmm, don't know if ITD on that works for bosses.

since your aura does not increase physical damage, i might suggest upping your defense instead. so even if your leech is miniscule, you're not being hit often enough to render it useless. 10k def should be the target.

you'll need a lot of patience to level a norm act 2 merc. but i don't think the difference is that big if he's hired in hell mode (debatable). i have a def merc leveld from norm and still croak in hell. so trust that your merc gear would serve him real well.

4. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff IncGamers Member

It doesnt :surprise:

5. halohalo

From what I have found out, hell merc lag 2 lvls of defiance compared to normal merc, and that is about 30% more defense. My original defense will be around 1700, so that means +500ish on screen, which is not much of a difference IMO. I agree wih you.

If I have my holy shield maxed, I calculate that I'll be having defense at around 8k. Aided with defiance merc It's be at around 11k, which will reduce the rate of being hit by 25~30%, where as HF will slow enemies 55% and reduce being hit as much.

From this math I decide to use HF :uhhuh: unless I have missed anything.

6. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

My hardcore telsadin (lvl 80) works very well in Hell. My gear is oriented more towards defense though.

Rockstopper with Res all jewel
    Shaft (soon to be upgraded & socketed)
    HOZ
    Crescent Moon Phase Blade
    Gore Rider
    String of Ears
    Rare Ring and Ammy, Frostraven

He uses a defiance merc. Right now my def rating isn't very desirable (still have 30% chance to be hit most of the time) but he still tanks reasonably well. I put points into Res Fire and Cold as well so my resists are good.

You call yours a life based telsadin, but since i play HC it seems perfectly normal to me =D

7. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

i would recommend crafting a pair of blood gloves...20% ias and 10% crushing blow...along with life and a bunch of other goodies seem much better than lavagouts....

phelix

8. halohalo

I've never been a crafter myself, but I always wondered what it would be like. Maybe it's the right time to do that. :)

9. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

As far as mercenaries are concerned, I tried both defiance and holyfreeze and I like that first one better. It was more helpful to me to get hit less than to have the enemy slowed. With half decent gear, monsters will have generally between 30-40 % to hit you which will improve your survivability a lot. In my case I was not using holy shield.

As for leech, someone was suggesting the use of Dracul's grasp. He said that was providing plenty of leech. I must admit I was surprise since the damage dealt here is mainly elemental. What can help here is to have life replenishing items, such as blood boots etc. It sure does not provide the same level of safty as direct leech.

10. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze slow can help prevent getting hit as well ;)

11. halohalo

just one quick question :
    Can you leech off CBlow? That is, suppose you have 10% leech and the enemy life is 40k and you do successful CBlow and enemy life goes down to 30k.. Will you leech 1k life? Or, will you leech according to your physical dmg delt on that attack, other than CB?

I believe you could leech off CB, but I really don't feel the leech. I have 50% CB and around 60% of deadly strike.

12. jumbo_SHRIMP

lifetap is not leech...it returns 50% of the damage you do to something to your health...irregardless of damage type, example: lifetap works with berserk

phelix

edit: u can NOT leech from crushing blow

13. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

That's an interesting precision.....

14. halohalo

Ok, another progress Report.

I am currently 83, with quite a few points in holyshield. Defense is around 7k with it.

Running arcane sanc in 8ppl proved to be nothing hard. Actually, due to the occasional static field and 50% Cblow, more ppl in game do not seem to make the hunting any harder.

The fact that arcane dont have any light immunes and that it is quite narrow so I rarely get surrounded made it easy for me, but what about other places? So far I've tried soloing everywhere except for WSK's or Chaos sanct, and all other places seem more than just fine, with just a little caution.

That means, I feel my 16% leech enough already, even with my poor 89-100 dmg crescent moon phase. My defense is high so I don't get hit that often, and if I do get hit, I have 3/4 chance to block. And my Faaaaast zeal helps in preventing monsters to hit me, so does the twisters from carrionwind and my merc's HF aura.

So far I have no problem soloing a few ppl room. Quite a success as I see it. The only thing I wish would be better is the radious of the HF aura of my merc.

15. D2XNewbie

D2XNewbie IncGamers Member

What do you mean when you say you're not satisfied with your mercenary's HF radius? What is his HF radius? What were you hoping for?

BTW, I'm really enjoying the updates on your paladin's progress. Thanks.

16. halohalo

I was hoping at least maybe 20 yard HF, which is impossible for the merc. The best he can get is lvl 17 HF, which does only 14.6 yard of HF. My Holy Shock does around 20 yard, so it compares.

Btw, my merc is using an eth reaper's toll and tal's mask. When he reaches 85, I plan on giving him the glad's bane.

On my last post I mentioned light immunes. I thought they would be hard since I am a tesladin (duh), but when I faced those beetles in maggot lair in 5 ppl room, I am most confident that even they are no problem before the mighty power of Cblow :)

I really have to confront the rare 'physical-and-light-immune' monsters so that I can try out if my vengence works on them. If not, or if my normal zeal still works(with my own HF as a backup), those few points in vengence and conviction will prove to be a waste of skills.

I almost feel like grabbing a LS or Azure, and see if they are any better than my Crescent moon phase.. They both have some nice bonus to other types of damages.

17. jumbo_SHRIMP

djinn slayer may also work well..put a couple shaels in it or something

phelix

18. halohalo

djinn slayer is a good idea too but even with 2 shaels you cannot have 4fps zeal..
    Maybe I can have it on my weapon switch and use it against physical-light immunes.

Even when I said this build is powerful, I still think hammerdins are much more effective in pvm, at least in a 1~3 ppl room. But for a melee char, I hardly think there would be more effective build. Maybe I should try a frenzier with warcry for stun and a lot of CBlow.