Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problems with mfing

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by HaLoPhReAk, Jun 12, 2005.

1. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

Problems with mfing

Hi, first off, i used to have a sorc w/ 505% mf, and i would mf pindle, mephy, and andarial, and i would litterally get absolutely nothing in pindle, a bit in mephy, and quite a bit in andy... why would i get nothing? are you supposed to use like 300%mf on pindle....cuz i heard somehting like that, but i thought the more the mf%, the better drops...always...??? help please

Thanks
    -HaLoPhReAk

2. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

thats the way it works. act bosses have the highest drop rates. so meph is one of the best bosses to run for magic finding. andy is good b/c of her quest drop bug. the reason people run pindle is b/c he can drop things that meph and andy can not (e.g., tals and IK armors, death cleaver, blah blah) however he doesnt drop them very often. not often at all. in fact he drops *nothing* a WHOLE LOT OF THE TIME. if you want loads of shakos, occys, skullders, war travelers etc etc, run mephisto. if you want a whole lot of nothing, followed by the GLORIOUS tal rashas guardianship on run #4523 then run pindle.

3. HaLoPhReAk

cool, thanx....what is the andy quest bug?

thnx
    -HaLoPhReAk

4. lonnie913

andy quest bug: when you kill act bosses for the first time, they have an enhanced drop called a quest drop. a quest drop always contains rares, sets, and uniques (or other miscellany, like gems). theres a bug with andarial that makes her always drop this enhanced quest drop. most people unintentionally get the bug to work through normal game play. to check if your character has the andy quest bug, kill andy and pick up any magic items she drops. if they all have double durability (which means they are failed set items) then you have a quest drop.

(in case you dont know...) although quest drops are not supposed to contain white, grey, and blue items, often andariel will drop blue items. these will all be failed set items (if the quest bug is *active*), which occur when the games drop an item, decides it will be green, then realizes that no such item exists. for example, game drops a flail, decides it will be green, and since there is no green flail, it drops a double durability blue one. this happens with uniques too, but instead you get a triple durability rare.

5. CubsAce38

CubsAce38 IncGamers Member

Ok... but how does the constant quest drop happen? I heard it was something like as soon as you kill andy you travel to act2... is that right?

6. lonnie913

you have to talk to an act1 npc after killing andariell. most people do this anyway. they talk to warriv to go to act 2 after defeating andariel.

7. odormos

odormos IncGamers Member

Its interesting you should say this cause Iexperienced a similar phenomenon. I used to use a lvl 90 hammerdin to do mf runs in the pitt, baal trav and meph. My hammerdin had roughly 500 mf yet I went months without ever finding anything of real great worth. This weekend I started doing mf runs with my meteor orb sorc (because she can teleport so its faster) her only mf comes from occy, ptopazed shako, gheeds and 1 or 2 mf sc and this was my result
    windforce
    arachnid's mesh
    andarial's visage
    eth gladiator's bane
    2x arreat's face
    gore riders
    ribcracker
    razorswitch
    magewrath
    goldstrike arch
    3x steelclash
    flamebellow
    coldsteel eye
    atlantean
    zakarum hand
    dwarf star
    and miscellaneous other junk uniques.
    Suffice it to say I would get atleast 1 unique per mf run game I made. This has me so disenchanted with mf gear that I am considering trading the skulders, 2x isted alibaba and war travs that my paladin was using :S

8. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

the problem with andy is shes hard to go to. for me, its soo long. same with meph. =\

9. HaLoPhReAk

ya know, there is a 'lil something that can make it go a lot faster :jig: :innocent: :thumbsup:

10. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Hmm - a quick ban?

11. HaLoPhReAk

lol i was just kidding. but is there an actual % of mf were it isn't good to go above or below....e.g.: pindle you have to use 400%.... or is the more mf% better???

12. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i haven't done many andy runs for one simple reason: speed, as defined as the number of drops you can see in x amount of time. the main reason i don't believe in doing say tomb runs is that you can't kill that many monsters and they are spread out over a very large area. i mainly concentrate on 1 of two places: a5su or meph. a superunique basically can get 1-2 non-potion drops. meph gets 4-6 item drops. so, if i do 3 su's in slightly longer than 1 meph run, it comes out about right. but, the main reason for doing su's at all is that they can drop better items.

however, i will definitely try a few andy runs if they pay off at this rate, although i do find it somewhat hard to believe that andy can drop from the windforce TC.

also, what was not revealed is how many runs it took. i restarted about 4 weeks ago, and i found 2 stormshields, 2 shakos, and 1 war travs so far. on top of this, i filled up roughly 2 full accounts of mules with useful but not valuable items, from gull up to andy's visage (3) (although i did also find like 8 thunderstrokes, 12 jade talons, and like 10 of that etheral war fist, which is probably just a glitch in the random number generator, as class specific items are supposed to drop at 1/3 the rate of other items.) this is almost exclusively from meph runs.

i do a meph run with a blizz sorc in around 1-2 minutes, so a day's runs for me is maybe 200. i don't know how long 200 andy runs will take, but if, for example, it takes twice as long but yields twice as many keepers, then it would certainly be equivalent.

13. HaLoPhReAk

sheesh 200 mephy runs a day? (lol i will do like 20 a week...no wonder i'm soo poor). 'nuther ? 4 u.... what the hell is a5su?????

14. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

yep. it takes hard work, study, and some skill to accumulate items, which is why hacks and dupes are so popular on bnet.

a5su's are a group of boss-type monsters that always appear near harrogath and the frigid highlands waypoint. this group includes pindle, shenk, and a couple of others, depending on whether the player wants to tp up to the first group of jails or not. i got a lot of good stuff from them the first ladder season as i made a necro and then a zon mfer's. however, blizz sorc vs meph is by far the most profitable for me, especially starting from scratch.