Problems with Cows

TheNewfie

Diabloii.Net Member
Problems with Cows

Okay, I realize flaming against the rules, but it seems helpful to have a nice little list in the different servers of the shmucks that kill the cow king and ruin it for everyone else? Would that list be permitted do you think?

-Asicae Drominus-
Radiant Server
BH/Jedi

Lord_Shinnok

Diabloii.Net Member
TheNewfie said:
Okay, I realize flaming against the rules, but it seems helpful to have a nice little list in the different servers of the shmucks that kill the cow king and ruin it for everyone else? Would that list be permitted do you think?

-Asicae Drominus-
Radiant Server
BH/Jedi
actually i don't have to think (not that i usually do) on this subject. thats a big no no. So someone killed the cow king, big deal. moove on.

TurbulentTurtle

Diabloii.Net Member
I think this has actually been discussed before, putting all the account names of scammers and what not, but it would just be mroe troublesome.
You'd have to look at the list every time you wanted to do something in a public game...

Like Shinnok said, just move on, I've had my King killed many times. Just move on.

Lord_Shinnok

Diabloii.Net Member
no i said moove on. get it, moove on? with the whole cow theme and... you know.... shut up stupid you stupid person. *storms out of thread*

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
TheNewfie said:

-Asicae Drominus-
Radiant Server
BH/Jedi
Its not a bad idea, its just not feasible. The list would grow exponentially, rendering it useless.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
dang79 said:
Its not a bad idea, its just not feasible. The list would grow exponentially, rendering it useless.
That's not really the problem, in reality people would lie about scammers and just add names of people they dislike. Or at least potentially.

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
That's not really the problem, in reality people would lie about scammers and just add names of people they dislike. Or at least potentially.
Either way.... the list becomes uselessly long

Even before you factor in abuse the list would become so long that you can't really keep an eye out.

The cows game would be done by the time you finish reading the list.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
Besides, unless someone is constantly deleting and remaking chars in the same account, a "first kill" list based on account names isn't going to make much sense --- every char can at most score one first kill.

And what's even better --- by the time you know that a char has just done a first kill the information is useless, since that char will never ever again make a first kill :) If you want to preserve your ability to open the red portal, you need to know BEFORE the king is killed.

I never leave my opener in the game.

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
if your really serious about spending a lot of time in the cow lvl, then you need to make your own dedicated cow opening character. he joins every game, opens the portal every game, but never enters the cow level. this is what i do, and i kill the king every game.

a lot of people cry and moan, but i dont think it posts your cow quest until youve killed baal in that difficulty.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Build a lightzon and run on your own. That's the way I do it and the kings immune to lightning so you never kill him by mistake...

KnightFall

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Winning's not everything...it's not the only thing, either.

Remember: it's only a game. If you have a problem with these people, you deal with it yourself...it's of little use to tell us (because for all you know, one of us might BE one of your enemies). Create a new game, password it, and exclude those persons you know to be untrustworthy.

leumas

Diabloii.Net Member
I was under impression that if you never damage or damage by the cow king, you would not lose the ability of opening cow level. So, how did that person spoil your cow game?

djIgneo

Diabloii.Net Member
No, that has nothing to do with it.

You get credit for killing the cow king (and thus cannot open the red portal) if:
- You have the ability to create the portal (if you haven't defeated baal on that difficulty you cannot)
*and*
- You kill the king or are party to someone who kills the king for credit.

So, if someone kills the king getting credit and you are party to him you will lose your ability to create if you currently are able to create the portal.

If that person already has credit for killing the king and kills the king while partied with you, you won't get credit.

If you haven't defeated baal on the difficulty, you cannot get credit for killing the king.

Ideally have a character of yours create the cow game, then join with a character that hasn't defeated the difficulty. You will never get credit for killing the king that way, and you also won't ruin anyone else's ability to create the portal.

Hope that clears things up.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
I found it works best to just kill the king first time you can in a single player game, and use a dedicated cow opener character afterwards who NEVER stays in the game for longer than what it takes to open the portal.

This means you never have to worry about the king, ever --- you can kill him anytime you want, and the only bad thing that happens when someone else kills him is that he'll get the drops.

Works best with 2 CD keys, of course --- esp. since there is a bug in the server that sometimes causes games to be reported as full even though they aren't... which could cause problems when you try to log in your playchar after opening the portal.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a baal4quest-type game in hell difficulty to turn your mule into a cow opener. Even better, enjoy imagining the look on the faces of the clueless players in the cow game when your level 4 opens the portal :)

It doesn't matter who creates the game, btw --- cow quest is slightly different from the others.

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Myrakh-2 said:
I found it works best to just kill the king first time you can in a single player game, and use a dedicated cow opener character afterwards who NEVER stays in the game for longer than what it takes to open the portal.
i actually dont exit him from the game, i just leave him standing in town. a little extra point value from the killed cows. as long as your not thru the red portal, your in good shape.

also, does being in the party matter? it IS a red portal, and is open to anyone to pass thru, regaurdless of party membership.