Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problems leveling my merc

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by smithaliscious, May 28, 2008.

1. smithaliscious

smithaliscious IncGamers Member

Problems leveling my merc

My L.76 pure lightning sorc has a L.76 Infinity merc, but he has stopped gaining experience. I found a detailed experience chart that lists what percentage of experience a character gains in various acts, but even in Act2 of Hell, he refuses to gain exp. What gives?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Problems leveling my merc

Your merc will never become a higher level than you are. Once he reaches your level, he stops gaining experience until you gain a level. Then he can advance a level, and trust me, they do this fast in 1.11b.

3. smithaliscious

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Another question comes to mind. I have a Sacred Armor CoH that has a 222 Str requirement. My merc's strength is about 50 less than this; should I trade this armor for something he can wear right now, or should I just be patient and stick a 2-p.amethyst helm on him when he gets closer?

4. ProfessionalBerg

IIRC, a merc gains 1-2 strength per level. Get him to level 83 (which should give him around 10-15 more strength, I think), and stick an Andariel's Visage helmet on him. It provides 25-30 more strength. Of course, that may still not be enough, so you can put a Perfect Amethyst in it, and have to cope with the -30% Fire Resist on it. Your merc will be a little suseptible to Fire damage, but at least he will wear a Fort.

Of course, if it was me, I'd make a merc Fort only in something that has <180 strength requirement.

5. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

If it's your endgame armor, I'd wait it out. Andariel's visage at level 83 is almost a much if you're aiming for that much strength.

Do to the high stregth requirement (and low %DEF increase on CoH), I doubt a sacred armor CoH has too much value in trade. If it's an eth bugged CoH, it probably has more worth cleaned out for a fortitude.

6. smithaliscious

What does "eth bugged" mean?

Thanks for the replies; my friend has an Andy's Gaze, so this will work out well.

7. ProfessionalBerg

Eth Bugged:

When you use the Socket recipe on armor/helmets/shields that are ethereal (The bug does not work on Superior items, since the recipe can't be used on Superior items either), the item gets an additional 50% defense bonus. Essentially, it brings the base defense to:

Basedef*1,5(initial eth bonus)*1,5(glitch bonus)=Basedef*2,25.

In practice, it means you can create items with sick amounts of defense, but only useable for self-repairing runewords (like Prudence or Exile), or for Mercs.

Notice that the bug does not work on weapons.

8. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

If the CoH has defense in the range [1862-2295], then it's eth bugged. If it has defense in the range [1241-1530], then it is not eth bugged.

We can tell the armor is ethereal because you wrote that it requires 222 strength, not 232 strength.