Problems leveling my merc

smithaliscious

Diabloii.Net Member
Problems leveling my merc

My L.76 pure lightning sorc has a L.76 Infinity merc, but he has stopped gaining experience. I found a detailed experience chart that lists what percentage of experience a character gains in various acts, but even in Act2 of Hell, he refuses to gain exp. What gives?

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Problems leveling my merc

Your merc will never become a higher level than you are. Once he reaches your level, he stops gaining experience until you gain a level. Then he can advance a level, and trust me, they do this fast in 1.11b.

smithaliscious

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Another question comes to mind. I have a Sacred Armor CoH that has a 222 Str requirement. My merc's strength is about 50 less than this; should I trade this armor for something he can wear right now, or should I just be patient and stick a 2-p.amethyst helm on him when he gets closer?

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC, a merc gains 1-2 strength per level. Get him to level 83 (which should give him around 10-15 more strength, I think), and stick an Andariel's Visage helmet on him. It provides 25-30 more strength. Of course, that may still not be enough, so you can put a Perfect Amethyst in it, and have to cope with the -30% Fire Resist on it. Your merc will be a little suseptible to Fire damage, but at least he will wear a Fort.

Of course, if it was me, I'd make a merc Fort only in something that has <180 strength requirement.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Another question comes to mind. I have a Sacred Armor CoH that has a 222 Str requirement. My merc's strength is about 50 less than this; should I trade this armor for something he can wear right now, or should I just be patient and stick a 2-p.amethyst helm on him when he gets closer?
If it's your endgame armor, I'd wait it out. Andariel's visage at level 83 is almost a much if you're aiming for that much strength.

Do to the high stregth requirement (and low %DEF increase on CoH), I doubt a sacred armor CoH has too much value in trade. If it's an eth bugged CoH, it probably has more worth cleaned out for a fortitude.

smithaliscious

Diabloii.Net Member

What does "eth bugged" mean?

Thanks for the replies; my friend has an Andy's Gaze, so this will work out well.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

Eth Bugged:

When you use the Socket recipe on armor/helmets/shields that are ethereal (The bug does not work on Superior items, since the recipe can't be used on Superior items either), the item gets an additional 50% defense bonus. Essentially, it brings the base defense to:

Basedef*1,5(initial eth bonus)*1,5(glitch bonus)=Basedef*2,25.

In practice, it means you can create items with sick amounts of defense, but only useable for self-repairing runewords (like Prudence or Exile), or for Mercs.

Notice that the bug does not work on weapons.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member

If the CoH has defense in the range [1862-2295], then it's eth bugged. If it has defense in the range [1241-1530], then it is not eth bugged.

We can tell the armor is ethereal because you wrote that it requires 222 strength, not 232 strength.