Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

problems getting online

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Gregoth, May 27, 2005.

1. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

problems getting online

i'm having difficulty getting onto the battlenet - for some reason the game keeps getting to the checking versions messages and just staying there forever - I've never had this problem before and have attempted deleting and reinstalling the game, completely. I run no extraneous or prohibitted programs and cannot figure what the problem might be.

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

How long ago did this problem start? Do you have any firewalls (including Internet Service Pack 2's firewall) or a router? I don't suppose your ISP is earthlink?

3. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

problem was non existant until earlier today - I could log in but got a realm down message. I kept trying to log on but it kept telling me the realm was down - Now it won't even let me get to the log in screen just keeps sitting there checking versions.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Well, since it was very recent, I would probably give it abit more time, as it could just be a temporary issue with bnet, or your realm down. If the same problem is happening sometime later (preferably tomorrow), then post back here and we'll sort it out.

5. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

Well, it's letting me past the checking versions but still giving me a realm down message when I log in

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

you have to wait a while since you got a realm down. That means you've been switching chars too fast or joining too many games in a short amount of time.

7. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Heya Gregoth,

Somebody else started a thread complaining about the exact same problem a few weeks ago and unfortunately, none of us here ever figured out the problem. If this hasn't cleared itself up by tomorrow, head over to the BNet Open Tech Support forum and see if the folks there can give you a hand. Be prepared to be asked a ton of questions about your system.

Let us know if you get everything fixed up. :)

8. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

They are saying there that it is a temporary IP ban but I have done nothing that I can think of to warrant such a ban.

9. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

you get temp IP bans (realm downs) from joining too many games too fast or switching chars too fast.

10. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

What consititutes "too fast" or "too many"? Is there any set of guidelines to follow to save a person from <sincerely trying to keep the language polite here as this is extremely frustrating> being banned like this? As far as I know, I have not been game hopping excessively or switching characters too quickly.

11. BigAl

BigAl IncGamers Member

I am not a expert about it, but... when I am muling and bringing characters in and out of a game, after I bring in the 5th character, I pause for a 3 minute break.. then repeat untill done. I have in the past had a couple of very inconvient realm downs when muling, and since I have adopted this policy, I have not had a realm down.

I have also read where people advise not leaving a game and entering a game without waiting at least 10 seconds between games.. I don't about this from personal experience, never had a realm down from this. But people who seem to know what they are saying, advise this.

Also, if you are doing .. say pindle runs, and are creating games quickly ie: less than 3 minutes between creating games, that seems to cause a realm down also after a few games.. staying in a game at least 3 minutes seems to work for me anyway. Of course, If I do a pindle run, cann't resist killing shenk and eldritch. and checking everyone in harogath for echoing weapons between kills, so I tend to always take longer than 3 minutes

12. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

While there are *never* any guarantees, the 10 second wait precaution never let me down for the three or so years I used it. I never had realm down problems while muling.

However, on top of that, whenever I'd bring a new mule into a game, I'd let him linger there a bit before switching again - and I always kept an eye on my ping as well.

13. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

Well, sounds like you guys operate a heck of a lot faster than I do. (depending on how long you mean by linger) Ok, now i'm wondering even more as to WHY I was banned. I never bring in more than three characters in succession, usually with a greater than ten second wait. It often takes me a few minutes while I am muling to do stuff like cube up the tons of gems and such I am hording.

14. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

Once again, I get the Realm Down message. But this time, I know I have done nothing in the wrong. (Unless you consider simply playing the game wrong. Seeing that I bought the game in order to play it and that I assume is the reason Blizzard sells the game, I don't think simply playing the game is wrong.) I have kept my times between games very long. I have stayed in games for long periods (making sure I stay active within the game, not simply idling there). The only time that something happened to knock me out of a game right after I started it was that my computer crashed. Once. So I called my friend to see if the Realm was really down. He hopped out of the game he was playing, logged out of battlenet in entirity, logged back on and created a game without a hitch. Surprise of surprises, the realm is NOT down. It would seem simply that Blizzard finds it amusing to lie to people rather than tell them why they are being blocked. Most interesting. Not exactly the best business practice, but interesting.

15. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

So, has your friend had any troubles? It sounds to me like he hasn't, as you mention that he was able to log off completely, and then back on fine. You can't believe that Bnet/Blizzard has singled you out and is randomly kicking you off for no reason.

A "Realm Down" message doesn't literally mean the entire realms down, it just means the realm is inaccessible by you. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Blizzard finds it amusing to lie to you, but I don't think it's a productive approach to sorting this problem out.

There are many more factors that could result in a Realm down, including any forms of spam and third party programs (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0689p) Additionally, I would probably recommend you read gta-maloy]'s guide. I cannot find the proper link to it at the moment, you can read it here, at the last post.

16. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

Let me repeat myself.

I have done nothing according to any source I can find to justify denial of service.

I use no third party programs or hacks.
    I am very careful about the speed at which I join, depart, and create new games.
    I'm very rarely in the chats.
    I never join games uninvited.
    I do not harass other people on bnet.
    I do not switch accounts often or quickly.
    I do not do any of the other things people have suggested that might cause realm down except actually try to play the game.

I don't know how to be any more clear than this: Unless there are reasons for realm down that no one knows about or the restrictions are set WAY too strict, I should NOT be experiencing any difficulties.

No, I do not believe that Blizzard has singled me out. I have not indicated this belief in anything I have posted. My gripe is that the message I am getting is that the realm is down when I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that the realm is not down. Anyone who gets the realm down message is being lied to, not just me. This is a legitimate gripe.

There is a bug (a bug in this respect is any bit of code that returns a false error message) in the program: a bug that tells us that the realm is down when it is not. This is obviously an intentional bug, because Blizzard knows about it and, apparently, approves of it. Since it is intentional, it is obvious that Blizzard does not care that they are lying to people. This makes me question the moral fiber of the people involved in the project and anyone higher up in that company that knows about the deception and takes no steps to remedy it. Service Denied would be more acceptable to me than Realm Down. At least it would be honest, if not completely clear about WHY service is being denied. A better message: Service Denied Due To <insert cause of ban here).

I can understand if I have somehow violated protocols that caused the server to ban me. I would appreciate knowing what those protocols are so that I can avoid this mistake in the future. More specifically, I would like to know exactly what aspect of those protocols I have violated, because, believe me, I did so unintentionally and will gladly modify the way I use the software to adapt to whatever is neccessary to retain service. Strangely enough, I don't feel like I am asking too much to request this.

17. sensei

sensei IncGamers Member

well just now i try to log in, first time today. and i have realm down

when i stopped yesterday i didnt have realm down

18. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

And therein is the problem - I was online earlier today and had no difficulties.
    I was in a game for over an hour. 1 game. 1 account. 1 character. No game hopping. No switching accounts. No excessive idling or activity, either one. I was simply playing the game like it is supposed to be played. Why, when I just tried to log in, now, did I get a Realm Down?

There is a flaw in the system.

I am not some nut raving about a conspiracy. I am a Customer. I am dissatisfied with the service I have received. Service that was implied in the purchase of the product. And service for which I can get no aid. I get nothing but the standard response with a list of causes that do not apply in this case.

19. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Gregoth,

Although I agree that getting a realm down continually would be no doubt annoying, we should probably set some things straight.

When you purchase the game, you do not purchase the right to go on battle.net. Your access to bnet is a privilege that can be revoked by Blizzard at any times should you break the Terms of Use (I'm not saying you've broken any, rather I'm trying to say it's a separate entity). When you create an account on bnet, you are required to agree to these terms of Use (also found at http://www.battle.net/tou.shtml). Two particular conditions apply to this matter:

You hereby acknowledge that:
    (v) Blizzard does not warrant that Battle.net will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site and/or service or the server are free of viruses or other harmful components;
    (vi) you may not be able to access Battle.net whenever you want, and there may be extended periods of time where you cannot access Battle.net

If you did not (or do not) agree to those two conditions, you cannot play on bnet to begin with, and your in violation of the Terms of Use.

It's not a bug, or a flaw. Blizzard implemented Realm Down intentionally in an effort to reduce server stress. If my memory is correct, I believe they used the "Realm Down" message because that error already existed on servers. All they did was add more conditions that could cause it. I agree that a more descriptive message might be better, but there was a big discussion on that awhile ago on the bnet forums. For some reason, I remember the reason they couldn't do that was because it would involve another client-side patch. My memory could be abit shaky, but I do remember that it wasn't as simple as we would have liked it to have been.

I think your reading the message too literally. Blizzard isn't "lieing" to us about the realm down. The message can be read as "The realm is currently down (inaccessible) to you. I'm not quite sure where your getting the big deception from. To me, it sounds like your just venting some anger on Blizzard, because you think you're getting an unfair deal; which brings me to my next point.

Like any troubleshooting in life, you just need to isolate the problem. In this instance, there's two possible areas that the problem could be occuring. The first, is battle.net, and the second, is you. Now, we both agree that bnet isn't singling you out for these realms down. Many people (myself included) are able to play comfortably on bnet without any problems. So, if bnet isn't the problem, then logically it must be something your doing. There *could* be an off chance of an incorrect realm down, I'm not denying that, but if you seem be getting the errors consistantly, then we need to accept the fact that there's a good chance there's something wrong on your end. This isn't necessarily implying that it's you directly, because it could be your ISP or something else, but it's difficult for us to give the answer, because we know nothing about your situation. Most any sort of spam could result in a realm down, not just quitting/joining games, or switching characters too fast.

Arguing the syntax or semantics of an error message isn't what I would call a legitimate gripe. To me, that's pretty similar to going through someone's post and pointing out their incorrect use of grammer, or punctuation. By saying "anyone who gets a realm down message is being lied to", you make it sound as though we can take Blizzard to court over this.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for you. I definately wouldn't want to be booted off bnet every now and then. I imagine it would be damn annoying, but it's just that we can only tell you what we know, and that many people are not experiencing what you are.

20. Gregoth

Gregoth IncGamers Member

This has reached the point of intolerance. For the first time in over a week I have tried to get something from one of my mules. A friend of mine held the game open so I didn't have to switch quickly. I took my time. I paused for a significant period at each new screen I came across. When I logged in for the first time, I logged in with the mule. I gave the stuff to my friend so that he could hold it, just in case of a RD. What a stroke of premonition on my part. I quit the game, paused, quit the character, paused, logged off bnet, paused for a longer time. I then clicked the bnet button, attempted to log on and got a RD.

NOW I am starting to feel singled out.

My friend can jump in and out of games as much as he seems to want to without any danger of a RD. Why am I banned at the drop of a hat for trying to do so very slowly?