Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with Windows XP/Java, help requested

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by VampiroXIII, Apr 29, 2005.

1. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

Problem with Windows XP/Java, help requested

Okay, here goes. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and it won't click in Java links. I'm trying to launch PageBuilder on Geocities, and it won't click in the link, or load PageBuilder. I tried to update the Java runtime environment, but whenever I download the executible, all I get is a 0 bit file with the filename, but no extension. Any ideas on how to remedy this? Second, and this is really aggrivating me, I try to go to Windows Update to try to get Java, and I get re-directed to the most homicidal rage inducing webpage in the history of the internet. Unless, of course, you're not using Windows. Oh, I just updated to SP2 and am using IE 6 SP2. Any ideas on how to fix that as well?

2. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Windows XP Borg Edition :) Just kidding. Sounds like a very curious problem. It sounds like you could have a virus, but given the specificity of the symptoms, I doubt it. I would try doing a repair installation of windows first. If that doesn't work, do a clean install. You could try downloading the Sun Java Runtime Environment somewhere else and copying it over and installing it, but it sounds like that wouldn't really get to the root of the problem.

3. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

The problem might be that you're missing Java virtual machine. You cant get that from microsoft or windows b/c they got sued for distributing it. Try this site

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Update your link to Windows Update; you want v5, not v4.