Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with upgrading Ethereal armor

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Staline, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Staline

Staline IncGamers Member

Problem with upgrading Ethereal armor

Well, here is my problem.

I had a Guardian Angel Templar coat with almost the maximum enhanced defense (196%) and I decided to upgrade it with Lem + Ko. It gave me a great result of a Guardian Angel Hellforge plate with 1551 defense. I was happy with that.

But I realized that maybe a ethereal Guardian Angel templar coat will give better defense result if I can socket it and zod it. So I've spend a lot of time on the trade asking for an ETHEREAL GUARDIAN ANGEL with at least 196% enhanced defense. I've finally trade one with 1231 def (199% enhanced def) !! I was happy again, 199% is 1% far from being perfect !! And it had allready 1231 defense, imagine once updated !! I did a little cacul and predict that it will be around 2250 def after updated (since base defense for templar coat is 252-274 and for Hellforge plate 451-530).
    Then I have put this Ethereal Guardian Angel Templar coat in the cube with LEM + KO + Perfect Diamond. The result where bad : Ethereal Guardian Angel Hellforge plate with only 1408 def !!! HOW COME ?? It was 1231 before update and gain only 179 defense ?????
    So my non-ethreal updated Guardianl Angel has better defense then my ethereal one !!

Maybe I dont understand very well how ethereal is calculated ? Or maybe the Ethereal Guardian Angel was a dupe/fake one ?!
    Perhaps there's something about upgrading ethereal items that I didnt know, something I'm sure you guys will tell me :uhhuh:

Thanks for helping !!

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

There is a bug with upgrading armors, I forget exactly what it is, but I think its something to deal with it uses base def of the armor without adding the %50 ethereal it should get. Not positive, but I think that's what it is.

3. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Yep thats how the bug works with armors, youll lose the 50%bonus, but it still displays ethereal..Weapons dont have this bug and will maintain the bonus when upgraded..

4. Staline

Staline IncGamers Member

Well thanks for confirming me that I didnt hallucinate :)

But does it mean that all the ethereal armor will have the same problem when upgraded ?! Or is it a random bug that appear sometimes ? Is it worth trying again ?!

5. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

no it happens with all armors..im actually waiting for them to patch it so i can upgrade my 192% eth g-angel hehe

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

A patch in the year 2624 right?

7. ghoppe

ghoppe IncGamers Member

well, i found ethereal Corpsemourn and tried to upgrade it (only tested what kind of it would be)...I dont remember exact def before and after upgrade but def went LOWER like 300 after upgrade :D

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The base defense will be rerolled as well, but even the worst sacred armor is better than the best ornate plate, so the only possibility is that the bonus from etherealness has gone completely.

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Ethereal Ornate Plates have around 640 defense, non-ethereal Sacred Armors have between 487 and 600 defense. It would always have gone down in defense.

When ethereal items get upgraded, the durability is set to the normal amount again too btw.

10. mcm

mcm Banned

I made a mess of an ethereal arreats (120 base, 172% ED) in the same fashion. Then I sent blizzard some hate mail afterwards. heh heh heh, they have yet to respond...