Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with office 2003

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bert, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Problem with office 2003

Hi people!

I have problems with office 2003, in fact, my father has.

He is the secretary of a bball team and the preparations for the new season are starting.

1) We have send mails to our members with the costs for the next season, now did we made a mistake with a guy who plays in a higher group for his age and we asked him to much (the price you have to pay goes up with age) so the father sends us back our mail with the right price (he edited our mail, a word document we send).

Now, how can we prevent this? is there a way to protect the documents we send?

2) second, we use the ‘date’ function, so every time we open our template, the right date comes up, if we print it the date is correct but if we send it with mail, the date (off course) changes everyday and ppl don’t know when they got the mail and blame us for being late.

We don’t want to use print date or create date because once we made the letter (and it becomes a .doc) we want to use it again (for the references and the address) and type over the letter (easy and fastest way for 1 letter)

At that moment if we use create date the date doesn’t change anymore unless we left click on it and change it, can we make this go automatically? Else the date is wrong.

thx for replying and sorry for the horrible English

Bert

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

I am sorry bert, I am not exactly sure what you are asking in the first one. Can you clarify?

To make the date update automatically, highlight the date and rightclick. You should see a box to check to update automatically.

Garbad

3. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

thx for replying

I’ll try to explain, sorry for the weird English

When we send e-mails we send a word document with it. (.doc)

We made that .doc on a template (.dot) where we use the date function (don’t know exact word in English, we use the Dutch version) so every time we open the template we see the date (like today: 20.06.05).

When we send the mail, the ppl who receive it tell us that the date in the .doc changes when they open it.

That is normal because of the “date†function we use.

How can we prevent this?

I know of the function “create date†when it always says the date the .doc was created but, once we wrote to someone (for example another team) we use the .doc and not the .dot (because it’s faster)

When we do that with the create date function the date won’t change automatically and that’s the problem because we forget it.

About the mails we send: I there a way to protect the .doc we send so ppl can’t alter our words?

Bert

4. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

You can stop people from editing the document quite easily. You just need to go to Tools >> Protect Document. You can then set the entire thing to read only so that people can't change any of it, you can also specify a password so that you can change it again later. When you want to do that you need to go to Tools >> Unprotect Document.

As for the date thing I am not sure about how to do that.

5. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Thx it seems to be working but further testing is needed

The date thingie is indeed a hard one because non of my "ask-me-anything-about-office-friends" can't help me either

Bert

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Why don't you just type in the date intead of using a field code? That would solve your problem then you can pw protect it.

7. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

I know but we keep forgetting about it, isn't office about making it easier for ppl :rolleyes:

We do like you say now untill we find a solution or someone comes up with one.

About the protection of the file: if we protect it with a pasword we can't someone can't change the file but they can kopie the text and edit it, how can i stop people from doing that?

Bert