Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with new computer and DII

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Catstyle, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Catstyle

Catstyle IncGamers Member

Problem with new computer and DII

Hi everyone! :)

I recently bought myself a new computer, a 1.86ghz Dual Core 2 Duo, Radeon X1900XTX, 2gig of ddr memory, and a Gigabyte motherboard.

The problem now is, when i installed diablo II (original only) i just get a black screen, and nothing else.
    Cant alt-tab out of it and i have to restart my computer.

I tried installing both latest and 1.08 update, but this is what it says:

"Blizzard PrePatch v2.23 compiled on Jun 22 2000
    This program patches Diablo II

Log created at 12:22 pm on 10/08/2006

Registry error loading key 'Diablo II\InstallPath'
    The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Prepatch failed"

Ok thats problem one. :)

The other problem is, when i try to install LoD, it stops installing on the "d2.exp"-something file, and just asks for LoD CD even though its in... same on all computer... Do i need a new CD?

Thanks for you help! :D

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I think the root cause is the installation of the original D2. That installation failed for some reason, so the further updates all failed.
    The black screen might be caused by video test. Make sure you have the latest video driver installed, and also make sure your have the latest DirectX installed. If you're using WindowsXP, you should be able to get both from Windows Updates; otherwise you'll need to download video driver from ATI's website. Once you have both installed, run windows\system32\dxdiag.exe to do a diagnosis of your video, just to make sure all the 3D functionalities will work fine.
    Then go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, see if you can find any DiabloII-related entries there. If you can, try to uninstall them all. The uninstallation may fail, so just ignore that. Then open your registry with Regedit, and search "Diablo II" from the root. You may find two entries, one under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and the other under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. You can delete both.
    With all these done, try to reinstall original DiabloII again. If that installs fine, the rest (patches and LoD) should install fine as well. Otherwise, let us know if you're still seeing black screen or if there's any new error.
    BTW, are you running your machine with admin access?