Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with my speakers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Problem with my speakers

I've got a set of speakers which consist of the bass, and two smaller desk speakers which connect to the bass via a cord into the back. I had a party at my place this weekend, and had to use them (the main sound system overheated), and now they've developed a bit of a problem. When I plug the cord for the desk speakers into the back of the bass, only the left desk speaker and the bass work, the right desk speaker is out. If i line it up juuuust right sound comes through just fine to all 3 components, so the speaker and cord are all in working order, the signal's just not getting through. Seems like there should be an easy fix to this. If so, anyone know what I might try here?

Thanks, Matt

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Re: Problem with my speakers

Sounds like the cable is worn through somewhere. If you can find exactly where just cut it open and solder the wires together again.

3. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I don't think thats the case actually, I found when I plug the wire from the desk speakers straight into my MP3 player, cutting out the bass entirely, both speakers play as they should. This leads me to believe it's a problem with the jack in the back of the bass itself. I'm just curious as to how it can be broken so that it won't play to the right speaker when fully plugged in, but when jiggled just right, will play. It seems to me that it's just a slightly 'off' connection in the back of the bass, and that if it's that simple, there should be a fix for it.

Thanks for the reply though Spazed, any other ideas? I will check the wire completely to make sure that's not the problem, but I'm thinking it's not.

-Matt

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Speakers aren't that complicated inside, if you think it is a loose connection just pop the back panel off of the bass and resolder the connection. If you can't solder and don't know anyone who can, just use some electrical tape, the connection should be pretty obvious.

5. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I agree with KOW though, it definitely sounds like a broken wire inside the cable, especially since you plug and unplug it a lot.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

first check if its a windows related balance problem
    try them on an mp3 or other device and see if they work evenly

failing that it could be amplifier or blown speaker issue

7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I don't think it's a wire problem, because a I said in my second post, both speakers work just fine when plugged into anything except the bass. I'll pop off the back of the bass and see if I can't tighten things up back there then. Thanks for the replies!

-Matt

8. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

sounds like a loose Jack connection or the balence setting.

9. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

Sounds to me like a perfect excuse for a trip to the land of geek for a new 6.1 surround monster speaker system.

Plusser

10. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

qft, 7.1 from your computer is alot better than the std 2.1 crap

but you need a convert your livingroom to a computer gaming room

11. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

I'm on the 5.1 on my computer.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It probably is the connector, if you're still under warranty just take it into the store. Only try to solder it yourself if you know what you're doing.

13. whitey

whitey IncGamers Member

sounds to me like someone kicked your sub during the party and something got knocked loose. Sometimes just jiggling stuff around can work...or make it worse. Do what I do and just hook your home stereo up to your computer. Nothing beats playing HL2 with a 300 watt 12" infinity sub and a pair of nice speakers through a decent amp.

14. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I'm not sure that it ever even had a warranty, I paid under $100 for the speakers, so I doubt they had much of a warranty. Even if they did, I've had them for just over a year, so chances are it's expired.

I don't think anyone kicked the bass during the party, I made sure to put it up on top of the not-working speakers to prevent that. Then again, the fact that it worked just fine until then, and now has the problem does indicate that something probably happened to it then.

Sadly, hooking anything up to the computer is also not possible, as it has a very similar problem. The speakers on the computer (I use a laptop) work just fine, but when I plug anything in to the jack on the side, only the left speaker works with whatever I plugged in. That little beauty is completely my fault though, I kicked a cord which was plugged into it on accident, breaking the tip of the thing plugged in, as well as the computer's ability to play out of the right speaker. No big on that though, I don't do much gaming on the computer, listen to music via the Ipod/speakers, and the speakers built in work just fine for skype.

I haven't yet gotten around to taking off the back of the speakers and poking around. I'm not planning to solder anything back there, just wiggle things around and poke them until they hopefully work again. I'm thinking it should be an easy fix once I open things up, seeing how all parts except the jack in the back of the bass do for sure work.

-Matt

15. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

ok, the tip of the plug is still in the jack

do you know if your notebook is still under warranty?