Problem formating my hardrive

Johnny

Banned
Problem formating my hardrive

I decided to format my harddrive just to clean it up a bit but my computer wont let me.

When I boot with the windows CD and reach the partition part then the harddrive itself doesnt show up. The list is just empty. I click the key for deleting a partition even though the list is empty and it tells me that the partition contains temporary files needed to complete the installation of windows. This could have something to do with the first format I attmpted using the windows CD in windows itself where I clicked the option to update windows and then reinstall with the updated version. I didnt consider that the harddrive was going to he wiped clean and so nothing could be saved anyway.

I tried going into the dos console and type "format :c" but it tells me that movable media cannot be formated.

Im not sure what it means by movable media. Its not like its some USB memory stick.

Help me format this drive.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
if its a sata drive youll need the xp boot drivers for it in order to format it

the temp files are on a ram drive that the boot cd creates so no hd is needed while booting

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a SATA drive and for some reason Win 98 just seems to treat it like any other HDD, didn't need patches or anything. Of course I have no idea if it's running at the right speed or not.

Johnny

Banned
Im not quite sure about the motherboard but it seems I have two harddrives that is made to look as one. Two 250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 7200rpm.

So much fancy crap.

I would rather have had two seperate harddrives at 250 GB each.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
your motherboard should have a utility to un-raid them but youll still need the sata xp boot driver to install xp on them

Johnny

Banned
After lots of work. physical violence. A trip down to a computer shop and some bribing I have things working.

Though now its two seperate harddrives. Windows is installed on I: and C: is just a storage drive.

Will the fact that windows is installed on I: cause any future problems?

Everything else will be installed on C:

It shouldn't make any difference, I am pretty sure XP doesn't care.

However you might notice a speed hit since you are no longer stripping. On the plus side if you ever reinstall Windows you won't have to worry about your programs.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
as long as you dont change its boot drive letter in the future xp wont care
booting from I: drive is a little strange but should be ok

some programs make their own keys, others will need to be reinstalled if they require other dll's ect.. in the windows folers to run

Johnny

Banned
I noticed that most programs just accept I: as the main drive. Though the Nvidia drivers for my graphic cards must be installed on C:. They cant be installed at all without a C: drive.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
if you have winzip or another zip utility you can unzip the nvidia drivers wherever you want
if you just run the exe itll try to make c:\nvidia\.... and run setup from there