Problem Connecting to a Wireless Network

Kaysaar

Diabloii.Net Member
Problem Connecting to a Wireless Network

For the last two days, I´ve gone to the public library to access the internet on my own computer. I go, open up my laptop, and connect to their wireless network. However, when I tried to do that today, I connected as usual, but for some reason, I couldn´t actually use any internet programs. MSN couldn´t connect, and I got no response when I tried going to any website in Firefox.

I tried disabling and re-enabling my network adaptors, and I tried momentarily dropping my firewall to see if it was having issues and restricting access. Neither potential solution worked. I know there are a lot of computer minded people in the OTF, and I was hoping that someone here might have an idea as to what I might be able to do.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
nowadays, a lot of public wirless networks have passwords. Ask the librarian to see if you have to logon or something to connect.

nosignal

Diabloii.Net Member
You might want to check if you're trying to connect to the right network, instead of a private network in the vicinity.

Doesn't the library have someone that could help? I know they are usually Librarians and not IT, but they should at least have a sheet or something to give you with the correct settings.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
they might just have put a WEP in (a password) and didnt tell you. it lets you connect (just to the router or w/e) sometimes, but not actually be on the internet.