Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem at my job....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by London, Mar 8, 2004.

1. London

London IncGamers Member

Problem at my job....

I work about 6 days a week at my job. Today, I was called in 2 hours early and pulled a 10 hour a shift. I am only 17, and considerd a minor just about everywhere in the United States. Required by law, I am suppose to be give a 30 minute break, and two 10 minute breaks for the time I worked today, I recieved no break, period. I didn't get to sit down, not even once.

I rarely get breaks at my job. I remember last Sunday, I was given a break, however I was asked to drive down to another store and get some stuff that we were out of. Despite I was asked, if I didn't agree to doing it, my hours would've probably been cut the next week. So, last week I spent about an hour of my time, without getting paid, and I got like 5 dollars for gas.

When I turn 18, I would like to become a delivery driver at my job (I work at Pizza Hut). They make minimum wage, however they make great money in tips. I have been talking with my manager about becoming one when I am of age, she tells me that she hired me as an instore person. I was 16 when I was hired, obviouly not of the legal age to drive.

As I see it, I get screwed out of breaks constantly, and she won't let me drive. What can I do?

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Bring in some legal papers and point it out.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

First of all, I'd rewrite that last paragraph in your post before a mod smacks you or Anyee eats you alive.

Second of all, do you feel that asking your superiors at the workplace for a break would get you a negative review of some kind? If you way "hey, I need to take a break here" are your hours really going to get cut? If that's the case, it's a big problem, and it's one that might have to be solved by getting the authorities involved.

The authorities can be the government agency with an office near you that handles job and employment issues. It could also be a regional manager for the company--if you can get an address for a central office, you might think about sending a letter outlining some of your concerns.

When all else fails, you bring in the local news media and expose the child sweatshop making people their double pepperoni pies. :D

It's a tough situation because in a crappy economy (insert "no it's awesome now you liberal slime" Smeg comment here) jobs traditionally done by teenagers are going to adults who need extra income badly. And there's not much chance that you'll get to drive if there's an older person with a better insurance profile willing to do the same work. So you might not get that delivery spot you want. But stick to it and demand what you deserve, and what the rules promise you, at the very least.

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

That's a VERY inappropriate term. I suggest you change it. Now.

5. London

London IncGamers Member

There is this paper that is posted in the back that says about the legal ages of breaks, and how long there suppose to be, etc. Obviously its not followed. Oh, and another thing... All I ask for is 1 day off a week, and that day is Friday. I request it off every week, she never gives it off to me. I don't mind working the other 6 days of the week, I just need Friday off, and she won't give it to me.

6. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

Find a new job?

Pointing out labour laws to your employer will probably earn you plenty of breaks. The problem will be that those breaks will be unpaid breaks due to unemployment between looking for jobs. Chances are it won't help your situation and just strain the relationship.

My suggestion would be to tell her that you want to become a driver at 18, and if she doesn't agree to give the job to you, then give her your two weeks notice.

However, beforehand, apply for another job or have some potentials lined up to minimize the unemployment time.

And just as an aside, please don't say "jewed out of" if you wouldn't mind. It's not exactly the best way to state what you mean, aside from being a rather nasty racial slur that perpetuates some nasty stereotypes.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Yes, change the damned line. What the hell are you thinking?

As to your job situation. Begin to record hours worked and how long if any time at all you receive for a break. A record is extremely important when it comes to labour disputes. Have a trustworthy coworker sign the notebook if you can. Ask for a break, and be honest about it. You not only need it, you deserve it.

As for wanting to be a driver? Tough ****. Your manager isn't required to give you that position, and you yourself said she told you she hired you as an instore worker. If you want to be a driver, go somewhere where they do need drivers, don't expect your boss to give it to you for no reason.

PS: I can't see you sticking a Pizza Hut sign on your Civic. Although it would be a sight to see :D

8. London

London IncGamers Member

I ask for breaks, and the head manager will say... "Your only working a 5 hour shift, you don't need one. I've worked a 16 hour shift without sitting down, etc."

Asking for them is hopeless, unless I nag, nag, nag and nag some more.

9. London

London IncGamers Member

Not a chance. I already have a CRX sitting in my driveway just for deliveries. As I look at it, isn't it discrimination to not let a person move up in a company? I could become a manager, but they get 50 cents more then what I make and 29573490534x more responsibility, in otherwords, its not worth it.

10. Steel_Avatar

No it isn't.

There is no law, nor should there be, that says an employee must be permitted to advance in a company. If you don't like how you're treated at a job, you walk. That's how the world works.

11. DurfBarian

I agree with Steel that you can't demand a delivery job.

You can demand your breaks when you're working 10 hours in a row, though.

12. London

London IncGamers Member

Hmm... Well, then when I turn 18... I'll just cover people's drive shifts, theres no rule about covering people's shift. I guess I'll start a log and what not then. Oh, should I have to ask for the break? Or, should they just be like "Alright, go on your break."?

13. DurfBarian

That depends on the store atmosphere. If you just got fifteen orders placed it's not time to sit down and announce that you're not to be bothered for the next 10 minutes, but if there's a quiet time in the day you should be able to do that.

Does anyone ever get a break? Do they ask for permission, or announce they're on break, or wait for a manager to tell them to take a break? How does this workplace do things?

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I dunno what the law where you are is, but here you must have a 30 min break free from work every five hours. If you're only working a five hour shift, you aren't entitled to a break. Check your local labour laws, though.

As for getting promoted, it's not discrimination at all. As Steel said, you are entitled to move up. It's not a right to advance. You can complain all you want, but they don't have to give it to you.

And Steel, it's against the law to fire someone for trying to enact one's rights under the labour laws. If they did that, or appeared to do that, he could sue them for a lot.

15. London

London IncGamers Member

Honestly, I don't think the instore crew gets breaks. Now that you mention it, people rarely if ever get breaks there. I'm sorry, but standing for 10 hours makes your back hurt, well mine does anyways.

16. Steel_Avatar

Be careful. If your boss says, "I hired you as an instore worker," and you proceed to drive around, she has a legitimate reason to fire you.

And one more thing: Covering hours for someone else means that you are not working the hours your boss scheduled you to work. As such, you are essentially working outside of her responsibilities. It could be argued that, should you injure yourself (for example), you were not doing what you were supposed to be, nor were you told to perform those duties. That may lead to issues later on with hours claimed, for example.

17. Steel_Avatar

Anna, I never suggested that it was legal to do so. At least, I don't think I did :(

18. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

Nope, you can't get fired for enacting the labour laws. However, were your shifts to be 'required' to be cut down to 5 hours at a time, it would be quite a shame. And maybe just being able to work once a week, on Fridays, because the other days are slow...

Don't pretend that the laws are sacrosanct, and that pissing off your boss in a small place like that isn't going to have consequences.

19. London

London IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I understand that to a point. I cover people's shifts all the time. Despite, instore shifts, still shifts. A lot of times, drivers call in sick or what not, so they do need to be covered. One of the instore worked turned 18 last month, he just started driving, seriously. He closed like 4 nights in a row, so I think if I just start "driving" things will probably work.

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Whoops, sorry. PLF said it, not you. You know how couples start looking alike after a while... :D

It goes both ways. Should your hours suddenly drop or other punishing behaviour happening soon after you bring up the labour laws, or ever, for that matter, they are liable for a lawsuit. I've seen it happen before.