Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Probably a noob question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TavinJason, Mar 21, 2004.

1. TavinJason

TavinJason IncGamers Member

Probably a noob question

I downloaded a mod that gives your merc the abilty to wear more equipment. In the instalation instuctions it says to use the -direct -txt method. What is that and how do I do it?

2. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

You should read the rules before you post.

Mods (for the most part) are not welcome here and you will recieve no information about how to use them.

3. TavinJason

TavinJason IncGamers Member

Sorry just trying to keep the game fresh. I've been playing this for along time. Just thought maybe someone here might be able to help.

4. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I would suggest you to Google up some other Diablo 2 community forums then as this one is nearly fundamentalistically opposed to gameplay-altering mods.

You are not a bad person, you just came to the wrong place.

5. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Since when did site policy say no to mods? I'm quite sure the stand is mod discussion is surely fine, just don't go into the technical specifics on modding and hacking.

Isn't what he's asking similar, if not exactly the same as the command used for the -act5 command, which is endorsed by this site? (Flux, in fact)

Well, i'd help but i don't know too. meh. Check out the faq, i think there's something about starting the game with no sound, some -ns command, should be something similar... or someone else'd be along to help...

PS: it seems there's a reward out there for whoever's first to uphold the untouchable sanctity of the great and holy spf. :rolleyes:

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Go to the Phrozen Keep, they can help you there.

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Yep, same principle here. Right-click the Diablo II shortcut (if you don't have one, make one), and add -direct -txt to the end of the Target line, so it looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -direct -txt

And don't use the -ns or -nosound commands, if you get an Act movie come up (ie. you complete an Act for the first time) the game crashes. I found this out the hard way...

For more stuff on mods and mod use, you'd need to check the Phrozen Keep (as RTB suggested) since we aren't allowed to go into any detail here.

8. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I didn't think the act 5 thing was accepted by this forum.......

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ask at the phrozen keep, they dont mind these questions.

10. Shenk_The_Underachiever

Shenk_The_Underachiever Banned

Come, Grasshopper

Hey TavinJason. I know what your saying about keeping this game fresh. It is starting to get old, isn't it? There is nothing wrong with using mods, as long as you don't use them against anybody else, and you don't use them on bnet. EVERBODY here uses mods of some kind. Yes, even ATMA is technically a 'cheat'. When somebody says they don't use mods, chances are they are lying. As for your present quandry, I must admit I do not know the answer. Give me a pm if you would like to discuss some mods that are out there, and that will give your sp diabloii playing experience a whole new reinvigorated life! Peace. :drink:

11. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Careful now, you'd be surprised that a huge number of people here play without mods.

Edit - Hmmm... where was my brain during that post... :bonk:

12. Shenk_The_Underachiever

Shenk_The_Underachiever Banned

Uhmm, yeah, I think that is what I said. :scratch:

13. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

So? Site policy surely allows for it.

14. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

It's not the site policy, but rather the stance of the members of this particular forum (SPF).

15. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

Also with your post here i Shenk i myself will not be trading with you or MPing since it is an indication that you use mods. I think that many other people here will be with me on this.

16. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Discussion of specific game-altering mods is not allowed here. For more information, check out the below link. Thank you for being up front about your use of the merc armor mod, and don't be worried about having asked the question (although a trip to the FAQ's would have done it for you.)
    Game Altering Mod FAQ

meaningful quote:
    @ chaos: that's what I thought, too, but it looks to be otherwise. :/

17. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

It makes you wonder, doesn't it. A guy comes in and asks an innocent and acceptable question, then he gets shot down in pieces.

Your question has been answered, I would've loved to help you but I know next to nothing about this sort of thing. Have fun and I know what you mean, this game is getting tiresome and predictable..... just like some of the responses in this thread.

Sam

18. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Or, if we were trying to be more civil than BNet...

...we could be friendly and helpful instead of acting like hydrophobic zealots.

The relevant help having already been given, I will just point out that if you want to trade items here, you have to follow strict rules that include not using such a mod.

Though I don't do much (so far no) item trading here, I appreciate the spirit of those rules. I am careful to keep anything that I might find while breaking them (I must admit to using -act 5 to try out some character ideas that I wasn't sure I'd enjoy playing, and some experimentation with a true "cheat" program just to explore some of the affixes I'd not seen) in a separate "universe" (separate ATMA stash and group of characters) from my normal stuff, in case I ever do want to trade here.

What you do on your own computer is your business, and anybody who thinks otherwise should just wait a couple of years until the Department of Homeland Security gets authorized to claim otherwise.

19. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

What you do on your own computer is your business....until you go too a public forum and ask for their advice on it, then you have made it the business of said public.

20. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Interesting generalization weregamer - how did you know I was afraid of the water? :) (just funnin' man) Btw, welcome to the forum.

But I completely agree with the sentiment. It's fine to ask questions here. It's also great to answer them. Thanks Shade :thumbsup: The forum rules are gray in the area of mods. Best I can decipher is that we shouldn't discuss the creation, technical support (and this thread doesn't go there IMO), or linking to these entertaining game variations.

I for one plan to play mods once my interest in the standard game has waned. Of course I won't trade items found there, but whatever. It's all about having fun, right?

Trading aside (where openness is very important) , let's enjoy the diversity in the members of this great forum, not try to get everyone to conform.