Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

private MF game advice

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by VitisVinifera, Mar 22, 2004.

1. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera IncGamers Member

private MF game advice

ok so I have a 89 Necro in USWest Ladder (Hangoverman), and I'd like to start really finding some good things. Hell Baal is pretty tough to do in private 1 person games, because Baal has some major damage reduction, and my only damage comes from merc/skellies/revives, which is nearly all physical.

I can rip through NM Baal though in no time. Does NM Baal drop really good stuff, and if so, like what kind of stuff? Also, someone recommended I do NM tower runs instead of hell for runes. Does hell give better runes?

2. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Try the Pit in hell. Should have some good results.

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

For runes, do the Hephasto. Hephasto and Nithalak are the two best high rune droppers in the game, and Nithalak is a bunch more scary to run. That's not to say that you should run him for lower runes, but if you're after things like zod he has your "best" chance, albeit still an insanely low one.

NM Baal can drop the lower elites such as shako, to answer that question.

And finally, as wolfedude said, probably the best place for a necro to run is the Pit in hell A1.

4. VitisVinifera

yeah I've been doing pit runs........a little success, by far my biggest get there was a Tal Rasha armor

so you guys think that doing hell Hephasto is better than hell Tower bottom level boss chicky person? My NM Tower runs so far have been bogus. So far I have done 5 runs and netted: 2 eth, 1 tal, 1 ral.

I think I'll continue NM Baals. My first one I got a Natalya grim helm.....not much else though.

5. Leper

Leper IncGamers Member

I find Hell Travinical slightly fun with my summoner, i also run meph, going slowly through durance 2 and killing everything in durance 3.

I often clear out the lower end of river of flame including hephasto, i've heard that's a TC lvl 85 area and it's pretty easy

Tal Rashas tombs are quite fun, you get big blockages at the doorways where all the monsters gather while you're skellies are hacking away at the first few monsters, then as soon as 1 is dead you can kill the rest quickly with CE and destroy the corspes so they can't be re-summoned. Lots of super uniques around as well which is usually a bit of fun.

I'm personally not a big fan of the pit, it's a bit boring in my opinion.

I think with summoner there is no reason to just run 1 area/boss specifically. A summoner is capable of going many different places with out equipment change or tactic change, so there's no point boring yourself with repetitive runs.

Leper

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I find that most areas are easy with a summoner, provided your merc has a big bad weapon, skeles tank and do some killing, merc pokes one to death, then you CE the group and they all die. I like Ariocs myself, its very easy to get, and it does very nice damage, with +skills which i THINK, not sure, effect the aura, and 50% DS which can knock down hell monsters pretty darn fast, getting a corpse.

I found hell river and chaos hard, in river, it was too narrow, and all to often, my merc got stuck behind skeles, and it took a long time, and my entire army could die in 4 seconds flat to iron maiden in chaos, but yes, they can do nearly any area, its a fun hell mf build!

-Matt

7. VitisVinifera

today I found the unique thresher which goes on my merc. One somewhat wasted stat on that is the 33% level 1 decrepify, as that's the curse I normally use.

When someone said hell Hephasto is the best way to get runes, are they talking about the Hellforge quest, or rekilling Heph many times? Ive done him 3 times now the last few minutes, and he has yet to drop as much as an El.

8. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

you guys forgot about ancient tunnels(darkhand told me about it). to run it all you need is max lighin resis. and lots of slow zombies in there to guarantee your safety. Ancient tunnel has a golden chest as well that will drop everything in the game. I have a question. is it true that monsters in ancient tunnel is just like the monsters in pit? dropping high class items. Or they drop the same as the rest of a2 monsters.

9. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I did not mean for the hellforge.
    I mean that if you want to find runes that the countess can't drop (IE anything over vex) he has the best shot at it. It's still an insanely rare occurance, but he's a fairly easy superunique in a TC 85 area, and as such is pretty much worth running regardless imo.

10. VitisVinifera

vex? shoot, I'll take a Pul. I've run 3 more hell Heph's, and now after like 8 runs, he's given me a Nef, and that's it. Whereas hell tower chicky boss, she'll throw down the occasional Dol or Io, which is better than what Heph is giving me.

So, does Heph actually give runes at a pace better than 1/8 runs?

11. Djinni

Djinni IncGamers Member

I think if you're running the countess and hephasto with the sole intent of finding super-rare runes, you'll be a little disappointed. They do have the highest possible chance to drop the rarer runes, but it's still a depressingly chance to find them.

If runes float your boat, your best bet would be to rush new characters through the game to the hellforge quest in hell, hook up with someone you trust to help you out and if you're lucky enough to be running D2 on more than 1 computer then you can bring more characters along for the ride too.

As for general magic-finding areas, if it's sheer quantity of useable items you're after then hit meph, travincal, andy or good old pindleskin. Whereas the level 85 areas such as the pit, ancient tunnels, river etc are a better option if you want a chance at finding the very desirable rarer items.
    Always remember though, that nothing is guarenteed & after 50-60 runs all you might have to show for your trouble is a diggler & isenharts case

happy hunting :)

12. VitisVinifera

thanks Djinni for your advice.......while Heph seems to be quite stingy with ANY rune, a boss next to him just gave me a Shaftstop

my next question is this: I don't have the red portal in A5 to get to Pindle......I've done every quest in the game. What triggers this red portal to STOP being open?

13. VitisVinifera

thanks Djinni for your advice.......while Heph seems to be quite stingy with ANY rune, a boss next to him just gave me a Shaftstop

my next question is this: I don't have the red portal in A5 to get to Pindle......I've done every quest in the game. What triggers this red portal to STOP being open?

also, Mephisto is pretty tough to find.....that 2nd level is freakin immense in hell. I don't use maphack (any more) because of all the ip ban concerns. I want to pack in as many mf runs as I can. I can to travincal, that's fast. Hephasto is pretty fast too, as is Shenk/that other guy. Ancient Tunnels and Pits takes some wandering.

14. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Once you go get the waypoint on the way to Nihlathak, the red portal goes away.

edit: wow I worded that poorly! :lol: Hope you know what I mean!

15. sunshine

sunshine Banned

Sure, solo hell Baal runs are tough, but that's why you should do them. There's a certain satisfaction in walking from the worldstone 2 to Baal's chamber....alone. Can't set loot. Nobody's going to bail you out. You're on your own.

Every once in a while I test out my characters with this trial by fire. And if they survive, they're allowed to go on their way to mine the pits, join public baal runs, or whatever.

On another note, is it just me or do drops seem to be more scarce everywhere?

16. VitisVinifera

don't get me wrong, my necro can solo baal in hell, but it just takes a very long time, and i have to go back for more skellies maybe 4 times. If he summons his twin though, it's an exercise in frustration.

Here's my next question: are solo hell cow runs next to pointless?

17. Djinni

Djinni IncGamers Member

Hmm, i ran hell cows solo once with my necro & it wasn't too bad, besides one nasty bosspack that demolished my army....bear in mind though i run my skeles & mastery at lvl 35 & hell baal doesnt manage to kill a single one of my minions.

Just wondering do you use decrypt & clay golem on baal? they make him alot more manageable because he never seems to teleport or summon his clone when he's cursed either, not to mention that he moves so slowly with these skills employed, but maybe thats just luck on my part & he will teleport with his clone on top of my head next run :)

18. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

Have you tried to get as much crushing blow on your merc as possible?

Mine (on my javazon ... a notoriously weak boss-killing build) uses Hone Sudan (shael amn amn), Guilliams face and some MF armor for about 75 percent crushing blow. If necessary (like for dclone) I put rattlecage on him for 105% crushing blow. :)

I don't do hell baal runs for OTHER reasons (only lvl 87 not worth the risk yet), but if you have no trouble getting to hell baal, then crushing blow on the merc should be the easiest way to deal with him --- it even works wonders on dclone. Alternate life-tap (to help the merc) with decrep.

Unfortunately I've only ever found the one Guilliams face (and 2 hone sudans), I'd like one for each of my character's mercs. :/

19. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Kurg: I'd like to suggest our next Hone sundan gets SHEAL-SHEAL-AMN. Two SHEALs hit his next BP and IMO (and many others) speed>>leech (as long as he have some of course).

Also, I think ROF is as easy as the PIT for a summoner. Alot more fun too :)

20. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

If he summons his twin just portal to town for a few seconds and the clone will vanish.

I used to have a necro who ran diablo and baal and i found a good skill to have is bone spirit. If you max raise skell, skelly mastery and summon resists and put 1 point in middle and right tab of curses you still have enough to max bonewall and bonespirit. If you have marrowwalks your spirit damage can be quite high and helps a lot vs baal.