Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Privacy and your relatives' DNA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Jun 9, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Privacy and your relatives' DNA

Feel-good story aside, this has brought up an issue that I'm intrigued in. New DNA advances have made it possible to use DNA testing of a relative's DNA to match with a suspect. In other words, if a DNA sample matches your cousin or brother, it's close enough that they can identify you as a suspect and bring you in. Since there are privacy issues surrounding obtaining DNA for testing, how do you feel about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-07-dna-cover_x.htm

2. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Sounds like something out of the movie Minority Report kinda. This dna technique seems to be a bit of a double-edged sword: it could help a lot, but there could also be some serious problems resulting from it. Not quite sure how to feel about this..

3. Undisputed Ruler of All

Undisputed Ruler of All IncGamers Member

Hey, if it were your cousin's DNA, and you were to have lots of cousins and siblings, and aunts and uncles, then if the DNA of your cousin matched close enough, and you actually had done the crime, then would your whole family become suspects, or could they actually trace it back to you specifically?

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

So if i go kill my cousins ex, then he'll be locked away, since he's the one with the motive? Cool, thanks, i'll give the police a chance to try the new toy tonight. *gets pickaxe*

5. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

I beleive that this is how it works: If they have a DNA sample found at a crime scene, and you are a suspect, and they can't get a warrent for a DNA sample from you.....they can ask a Relative to volunteer for a sample....if it matches, they then can use that as evidence to gain a warrent for YOUR DNA.

I could be wrong though....