Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Printer sharing impossible?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Mar 8, 2004.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Printer sharing impossible?

OK I have an HP 2210xi all-in-one connected to a Windows XP Home machine via a USB port. Now here is where it gets tricky. I have an Apple iBook running 10.2.8 I have a graphite airport base station for wireless(802.11b) internet. Now here is the really tricky part =D. I have the aiport connected to a Linksys 4-port router and the Windows machine is also hooked up to the router. Both have internet connections at about 800k/s-10mb/s(hugs cable modem). I want to share the printer hooked up the the XP machine with my laptop without using a wire, well if you can get me started on a wire it would be a start. I have printer sharing set up on both machines but can't get them to see each other. When I use an ethernet cable to connect to the router directly I can share files but printers are still a problem.

NOTE: I do have UNIX printer sharing set up on the XP machine if that matters.

I have put this on every single Mac/networking forum I could find and still no luck, but I might as well try here. Oh and if you figure this out you will be renowned as the OSX/XP computer god forever. So uhh ya thats it if you need any more info I will post it up. Thanks for reading.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

If your printer has a network card, you can connect it to the router and give it an internal ip, and then both xp and the ibook should be able to see it....if your printer does not have an ethernet card , then I need to think about this a bit more.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

No can do. I have the USB port, a Fax jack, and some other little phone jack that has a picture of a rectangle with a line going through it the line has a small circle right in the middle. This is kinda making me mad I don't want to go buy a new airport extreme I don't need one I just want to print dammit!

Anywho thanks for your input.

4. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

You may be interested in this. Try it with wires first, getting the two machines to see eachother through wireless should be unrelated to the printer setup.