Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pride in your Country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zechs_Zechs, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Zechs_Zechs

Zechs_Zechs IncGamers Member

Pride in your Country?

This is something Ill probably get alot of mixed oppinions on but I have made on observation on the Pledge said in my classrooms everyday. Hardly anyone stands anymore, let alone actually say it. Is pride and respect in our country failing, or is it just me? IMO, standing for the pledge is an obligation and responsibility that I take unto myself to pledge myself to my country. I know that some might say that they know they have respect for their country and dont think that standing every day is a way to show it and I respect that. Again, What do you guys think?

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I don't need to stand, say a pledge, or salute a piece of cloth to show pride in and respect for my country. Somehow, others think that you must; I find it odd. I show respect for my country by excercising the freedoms guaranteed all of us by the Constitution. To me, that's the best way.

I feel that I'm very fortunate to live in the best country on Earth. I hope everyone feels the same way about their country.

3. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

The last time I said the pledge was 5 years ago in 8th grade (cuz I did highschool overseas). I remember every morning we would do it together over the intercom and sometimes they would even have a student lead everyone through it. Are saying that some schools don't do this anymore?

I thought the pledge was like a tradition of some sorts. Even if people don't think its the right way to show respect for the USA, I don't see harm in doing so. I never thought twice about saying it every morning, even though at the time, I was just an immigrant. As a kid, I was proud to be a part of America, in all its glory. Well, I guess some would point to that as propaganda.

Because of my multi-national background, at the moment I don't have much patriotism for any country. Even then, I still think that removing the pledge would be a shame. I know thats the outcome of my feelings but my feelings about this are so mixed up I'm not sure why. K, this post isn't even making sense so I'll just stop and let you try to decipher my meaning.

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

I dont think its neccessary to pledge to a flag everday to show pride. I also dont think that those kids are loosing pride, unless they are going around saying how much they dislike it and would rather move to some other country. Although standing during the pledge once in a while wouldn't hurt.

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I'm Canadian...we don't pledge, we watch hockey:lol:

6. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Is your question only for US citizens?The pledge thing is US related

7. Zechs_Zechs

Zechs_Zechs IncGamers Member

Yes. Sorry for not stating so before. Anyhoo, it might just be me, but at one point of my life, I actually willingly jumped up at the start of the pledge, proud to be a part of something that I think is great. Im not gonna tell yah to stand and say it, but every time I think about saying the pledge, I have pride and respect for all those who died protecting that small piece of cloth that symbolizes the USA.

Maccool, You made me think twice about what you said. I aggree that showing pride and respect is very easy to show by excercising those rights givin to us by our country. However, isnt it just as easy to stand and show your pride by saying the pledge?

8. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

But it isn't the only way, and some disagree with that specific way, which is what I think mac was getting at.

9. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

• When I say the pledge, I don't say the newfangled wrong version. I say the older correct version. The one without the Christian proselytizing in it. Hey, it's a free country and everyone else is more than welcome to say the pledge wrong if they want. I'm going to continue saying it right.
    • In general, I don't believe I need to indulge in outward expressions to prove my patriotism. I don't have a flagpole nor a flag. I don't have any images of American flags on the outside of my car. I most certainly don't indulge any of those ridiculous "love it or leave it" platitudes. I know what I feel and I don't have to prove it to anyone.
    • However, if I do say the pledge of allegiance or if someone sings the national anthem, you'd better believe I'm standing straight, facing the flag and holding my hand over my heart. People who don't are of course free to do so. It's a free country, but I'm also free to hold them in low regard.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yeah, totally, Steely one. That and I feel funny talking to a piece of cloth. To each his or her own in accordance with their desires. That is to say, you do it your way, I'll do it my way.

11. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

Never read the original version before. interesting. I wonder why he wrote it as "my flag" instead ot "the flag" and why he was so against that change. apparently he wanted to put equality in it too but didn't due to the lack of gender equality at the time.

12. KleverMonikerâ„¢

KleverMonikerâ„¢ IncGamers Member

I express my patriotism by excercising the rights I'm given and by fighting for fair treatment and honesty for not only this country, but for the world.

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Just because people are saying the pledge doesn't mean they mean it, anyway. You might mean it, but it might just be a habit for other kids. There's no point in forcing people to express pride in their nation through a pledge when there's so many other ways to show it. One of the ways I show my pride in this country by not acting like an idiot, and not contributing to stereotypes of Americans. Or actually think about the words of the Star Spangled Banner and the people who knew they were giving their lives so that others may be free.

14. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

We don't ever say the pledge in school. The last time I did was probably 5th grade.

15. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Well put Mac... couldn't have said it better myself if I tried.

I think that every single one of us should be proud of the countries that we come from - there are strengths and weaknesses of each of our countries - but as long as humans still comprise countries, it will always be that way. That is, unless we have a country comprised of the Borg at some point... they would pretty well suck.

16. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Well, in canada , we have to stand for the national anthem everyday (morning). In first period class. All through school it has been like that.. not sure about post secondary though ( college/university).

17. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

You see patriotism more when people are over seas. I remember some one saying here on the boards that when they were in Europe, strangers would buy them a round of beer because he was Canadian and the kind European guy remember his grandfather saying how a Canadian soldier saved him during WW2.

18. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

I show my pride by not saying it.

(think about it)

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

IMO, you can't have pride in your country until you're old enough and have the means to leave it if you wanted to.

20. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I think its unamerican to pledge more than once. Its very mocking.