Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pregnant lady kicked in stomach

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kobold, Sep 19, 2006.

1. kobold

kobold Banned

Pregnant lady kicked in stomach

There is a short video clip on the CNN website this morning about a lady in Maine that was first verbally abused, then kicked in the stomach. She is 7 months pregnant. There was no indication on the video that she provoked her assailant, that it was a hate crime (she's black, he was a drinking redneck).

This disgusts me.

Isolated incident aside, what does this say about a group if a person would intentionally kick a pregnant lady in the stomach? It did sound as though he had some buddies with him, not that they were involved in the physical assault, nor that they did anything to stop it.

Thoughts?

2. Baynson

Baynson IncGamers Member

I haven't seen the clip nor do I care to. All I know is if I had been there someone would have to bail me out of jail for kicking the rednecks ***!

3. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

I do have a couple of questions since you mentioned this as a hate crime. I mean I havent seen the video but is it possible he kicked her simply because he's a jerk vs this being a black/ white thing?

#2: would you consider this incident less of a hate crime if she happened to be white??

what does it say about this particular group? that they're jerks who's only chances of winning a fight is by picking on pregnant women.

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

I think he was saying there was no indication that she provoked him and no indication that it was a hate crime.

Harming someone who cant really help themselves, and someone who has no say in the matter, is just wrong. Im assuming since there is a video of him on cnn that they caught him. I wonder what his punishment will be.

5. Baynson

Baynson IncGamers Member

"Hangins to good for him!, keelhullin to good for him!" Quotes from Dens trial in Heavy Metal the movie.

6. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Did they kick her because they saw she was pregnant? I haven't seen the video, so I'm not sure.

The stomach is the easiest target to hit on anyone, so unless the assailant said something to the effect of: "You dumb pregnant woman, I kick you good now!" I don't think he either knew she was pregnant or intended to kick her baby.

Yes, I agree that any such behaviour is absolutely disgusting, but I think that a woman who intentionally beats up on a pregnant woman and then cuts her stomach open to attempt to steal her baby is much more detestable.

7. kobold

kobold Banned

Admittedly, CNN will slant things in order to emphasize something that may not have been there, but they certainly used the words "hate crime" in the video. The intent shown was that it was because she was black, not necessarily because she was pregnant.

Yes, I don't think that a redneck beating up a white lady is a hate crime. Still despicable, and worthy of him getting his butt whupped, but not a hate crime.

8. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

In Australia a few years back a white guy beat the **** out of a pregnant white woman. That's cool tho I guess because no group can be offended.

9. kobold

kobold Banned

Yeah, you're right. Only those with a conscience would be bothered by something like that. :prop:

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

My first thought was, "Whoa, Black people live in Maine?"

My next thought was, "I wonder if my coffee is ready yet. It must be, I can smell it. Now, do I want to live on the wild side and put in a bit of milk today?"

Now I'm thinking, "You know as much as a running dialogue of one's thoughts might tell about someone, one's privacy is more important."

11. myleftfoot

Conscience has nothing to do with society, it's all about drawing a crowd.

What does that emoticon mean?

12. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

and why not a hate crime??? or do we have to be a minority these days in order for a crime to be considered a hate crime

13. myleftfoot

Yes. So if you're gonna kill someone, make it a whitey.

14. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Maybe thats the reason right there, it could be he wanted to kick her out of Maine.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Scum. I can't imagine why anyone would kick a woman, let alone a pregnant one.

16. kobold

kobold Banned

Ok, perhaps it would meet the literal definition of a hate crime. Per Merriam Webster:
    Main Entry: hate crime
    Function: noun
    : any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)

I was leaving gender out of the equation, didn't think it fit the definition.

I used that as I felt that
    was a rather juvenile attempt at humour. Sorry, would a different emoticon have expressed that better?

17. Baynson

Baynson IncGamers Member

I'm sure Anne Gretta \sp, will set us strait on the issue,

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

19. myleftfoot

It was sarcasm and I just didn't know what the icon meant.

20. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

View? Sorry, I was talking about punishment.

But since you brought it up, don't we look at crimes comparatively? I blame the media for that.