Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Powerleveling your Merc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Malgor, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Powerleveling your Merc?

I haven't used a merc since, well I used one for awhile in my 40s. Never resurrected him after that since my Hammerdin could solo pretty much everything.

Now my Hammerdin is 86 and someone suggest I get a holy freeze merc, which I did, and replaced my other merc. Problem is my merc is 45. Can't play Hell with him at all (lasts 10 seconds tops) and even nightmare he dies pretty quickly.

Suggestions for powerleveling him to something closer to my level?

2. illa

illa IncGamers Member

Normal baalruns, nm baalruns, act1 hell

3. Master-mind

Master-mind IncGamers Member

^ Thank you. I have the same problem since I got a new merc and I'm level 77 with a 45 leveled merc.. He doesn't even last in Act1 Hell yet.. :cheesy:

4. corax

corax IncGamers Member

p8 nightmare cow runs can level your merc pretty fast

5. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Merc's
    -They fully share experience for their kills with you, and they receive a smaller share of experience for monsters that you kill (3 times smaller).Mercenaries do not get experience from party member kills, but they do from your summoned monsters/characters.

So let him do all the killings (as much as posible)

-Hirelings might not level up very well if they are in areas where monsters are much higher or lower in level. You might have to try different areas to find good places to level up your Hirelings.

Try to be in the area's were the monsters are ~ to your merc lvl (-/+5 levels). You can find monster levels at: www.d2data.net

-I can recomend you act 2 normal defense (with defiance aura) as a best choice. Try to find lowest level of merc as u can in a normal game. Then level/train this guy up. A merc that levels up has MORE health/attributes/resistances then a hell merc of his same level.

My meteor_FO orb sorc with maxed blocking chance defense never dies while teleporting with my level 89 defiance merc ===> each of us have over 10000 defense when he activates his aura.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I would start with nm baal runs until he is L75 (at that point he can wear Reaper's Toll, making him fit for hell mode). Give him decent equipment because he gets most xp from his own kills, e.g. Crown of Thieves, high defense armor and a polearm or spear with decent damage. I have an ethereal Pierre Tombale Couant for leveling mercs, for example, and all my mercs wear Gris armor with as much IAS jewels as possible.

7. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies. I got him 5 levels in about an hour last night (50 now) in act 1 Hell. Since I'm a Hammerdin, I just ran ahead and killed stuff before he could die. I realize he gets more experience from killing stuff his self, but in densly populated areas, (black marsh, stoney field, etc) it went okay fast.

I tried one NM Baal run and he died too quick doing that.

I will try cows on NM.

8. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

1 correction.

A lower level merc won't have better stats than a higher lvl merc hired in the same difficulty.

Lvl11 and lvl13 A2 Norm Merc will result in the same stats.

9. grecs

grecs IncGamers Member

Level him in NM Maggot Lair, hell always fight one monster except in the rooms, and the monsters are cake if you give him a Hone Sundan unique yari.

10. -Edicius-

-Edicius- IncGamers Member

Whats a Hone Sundan yari? And whats it worth? And one last question, what are the stats?

11. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

public nightmare cows to level 70-75ish

solo or public hell cows

there is no better way.

12. illa

illa IncGamers Member

Public doesn't give your merc more xp at all...

13. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

From the monsters you kill, it does. ALOT more. And this shouldn't be too hard, considering most people in this situation are level 80+ leveling an approx. level 50 merc. Killing most of the NM cows shouldn't be a problem.

14. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I find leveling a merc to be a pain in the butt. I was able to get some quick levels for my merc by doing NM cows by myself, though I'm sure he would have gotten more exp if more players were elsewhere in game. I pretty much killed all the cows myself. Even with me going the killing, the massive amounts of exp still allowed the merc to level quickly. Much quicker than if I had let the merc slowly kill. Of course, this is dependent upon your character being able to do large amounts of damage to large groups such as with a Javazon or Sorceress.

15. 46Venom

46Venom IncGamers Member

I was using a holy freeze merc with my hammerdin, and trying to level him was a pain also. I finally gave up and got the defiance merc and leveled him to my lvl (87). I figure if i need the holy freeze aura, i will give him an eth 'doom' cryptic axe, and throw an eth 'bramble' armor on him too. That will be 3 aura's + my conc. !!! Im just not that rich yet :)

16. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

nm cows will definetly. hammers make short work of cows, so get killing.