Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Power Strike Vs. Charged Strike, which to max first?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sunjeet, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Power Strike Vs. Charged Strike, which to max first?

I have a Spearazon. She is doing well, and I think that I will max Lightning Strike first since it will have a fast CL attack. However, which should I max out first? Power or Charged? Power seems better for a single enemy (good since Lightning will have no real affect without multiple enemies. Charged seems good but only if the enemies are grouped together and I'm on one side, but I already would have a group attack, so why another? Also, does Pierce affect the Charged Bolts? And does each Charged bolt do the damage of the initial lightning attack? I'm so lost as to what should be my secondary attack...

2. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Definitely maxed charged strike first.

1) Power strike is dependent on ar. Basically, if you miss, no lightning damage is done. Charged strike on the other hand releases charged bolts whether you hit or not.

2) There is no monster that you cannot use charged strike on instead of power strike. For act bosses and big monsters(urdars etc), the different is exponential because ALL the charge bolts hit the monster!

Pierce does not affect charge bolts. Each charge bolt does the damage mentioned on screen so multiply that by the number of bolts for total damage!

3. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Actually I'd put about 10 points into CS and then put points into LS or PS for synergy. That way you increase the damage without increasing the mana cost, which is a good thing when you're not high enough in level to do lots of physical damage, or haven't got much mana leech yet.

4. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Just use a Tir or two somewhere in your gear.. :)

5. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Well, the thing is that I'm making Impale my physical damage skill (yes, yes, I understand that its slow and all, but its gonna fit my current style of play). So with that as a single target skill, I'm gonna need a decent multiple target skill. As much as Charged Strike is good for large baddies (since it hits them with all bolts), its still no good if I get surrounded by multiple large baddies. Thats why Lightning Strike would be good. However, I feel that Power Strike (even if it misses) would do double damage of Charged Strike on a single target (with a maxed Lightning Strike). However, I'm wondering if there is anyone that believes Power Strike really is better...

6. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

If CS can't get you out of a mob of large enemies, then you're screwed no matter what you do. LS won't kill them fast enough, PS is too slow. CS is also a group killing skill against small, tightly packed mobs.

PS is good for small single targets, where they'll only get hit by 1 or 2 charged bolts and there's no one else to bounce chain lightning off.

7. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

So with the glory that is Charged Strike, which should I max first? Charged Strike or Lightning Strike? Or should I level them up together? Or just get Charged up to 10, and then max Lightning for the synergies, then finally max out Charged?

8. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Even when only hitting with two bolts, uhm, flayers? CS would probably outdamage PS too. There's really no reason to ever use PS over CS, unless you are making a weak variant.

Since you're a spearazon I'd go with CS and LS, CS will be your melee lightning damage, and LS can be used as a "ranged" melee attack, a scouter and killer of scattered mobs.

9. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen PS average damage higher than the maximum damage of 2 charged bolts (the difference becomes more pronounced when there is +% lightning damage and lots of +skill). Plus PS has an AR boost so the physical part will more likely connect.

Mostly though, I just use PS occasionally because I hate seeing 10 bolts go to waste.

10. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

id also recommend that u use a javalin + shield than a spear

or did u mean java?

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

My advice: Use an Impale - then get bored and start a new ama with the Charged strike as the main attack, place 1 in passives (maybe more to Valk) and synergize the CS with rest of your skill points. You will not regret. (And you can choose to get Lightning Fury to get powerful ranged attack). Ehh, why do I recommend my most favorite build again? (I just can't help myself)