Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Power issues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PublicEnemy, Mar 28, 2004.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Power issues

'My opinion is, that power should always be distrusted, in whatever hands it is placed. '

'Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.'

'Man is born to seek power, yet his actual condition makes him a slave to the power of others. '

'Power will intoxicate the best hearts, as wine the strongest heads. No man is wise enough, nor good enough to be trusted with unlimited power.'

'The imbecility of men is always inviting the impudence of power. '

'The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse. '

These quotes roughly sum up what i think about political power,and any kind of power

Those -politicians,police,administration,army,etc..-who are endowed with power always tend to abuse it to the detriment of the freedom of the people who are submitted to it;the consequences are corruption,freedom and rights violations,hypocrisy,etc..nobody can pretend to be 100 % fair,righteous,impartial when all powers are concentrated in a few hands;you'll always try to use power to your advantage,whether you're a policeman,a politician,an officer,etc...that has always been true and as man will never change,it will always happen
    However,there are ways to prevent or soften these consequences;
    For each category-police,army,etc..-there should be an opposing force who would check and watch;for instance,an opposing force would check and watch the police;each policeman would be controlled by one or more people;this could be set up schools too;the parents or the students would have a way to check if the teacher is impartial and fair;
    then hypocrisy of those who are submitted to a specific power could become unnecessary and could disappear; power would be more balanced that way

2. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Well in that case

Since Time is Money
    And Money is Power
    That means procrastination is the key to world peace.

And it sounds a bit like you just read All the Kings Men

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Then who would police the police police?
    Or is this some kind of circle?

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Checks and Balances, like the US Government.

Because THAT works so good!

5. PublicEnemy

each category would check each other;for one power there would be an opposing force

6. BooblestheDorf

BooblestheDorf Banned

I tend to use candles.

7. KleverMonikerâ„¢

KleverMonikerâ„¢ IncGamers Member

We already have a check and balance system of government, and your idea is flawed. The opposing forces cause conflict, which then leads to a struggle for power, and finally mayhem.

8. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

or a civil war that is never decided and the population is to split into two groups, generally haves and have-nots. And warfare continues over boarder disputes.

9. PublicEnemy

You don't understand what i mean
    Conflicts are part of society :democrats vs liberals,capitalist class vs working class,students vs teachers,etc;only in dictatorships conflicts tend to never happen
    On the contrary, conflicts show that democracy works
    This check and balance system only works at the highest levels of power;however there is no balance of powers for citizens vs politicians;my idea is to have an opposing force for ANY KIND of power,not just the political level
    Don't always think of the US system as a reference;my idea applies to the world

10. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Ah...now I understand.

That sounds good in theory, but the checks and balances we have on the political level don't work all the time, how can everyone be tied in? I think its a good pipe dream to have, but not likely at all.

11. KleverMonikerâ„¢

Well, by looking at how you view power my argument seemed viable enough, but now that you've explained what you meant a bit further I understand. And yes, a check and balance system would be good for all world governments. I suppose I'll agree now.

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Term limits for elected officials?

13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I've always wondered how things would be if politicians were randomly conscripted rather than elected... :scratch:

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

We would get some crazy crackhead that legalizes everything effectively destroying the whole social/political structure. Or we would get some crazy women who starts a war on Britain because in third grade Britian took her pencil bag and never admitted to it.

15. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

:lol:

But seriously, there'd still be the 3 branches of gov't, checks and balances and all that good stuff. One crazy crackhead wouldn't have the chance to tear it all down.

I know its a cockamamie idea, but I have an inherent skepticism of ANYONE who actively seeks public office. Why do they really want to be there?

16. Gagge

Gagge IncGamers Member

Or, you would get a redneck with a famous surname and a former president as his father, both named George. Wait, why do I get a feeling of deja vu??? :surprise:

17. PublicEnemy

Where is the argument? How is my idea flawed? You haven't elaborated any argument,any reasoning...and as i said,conflicts are normal events of a democracy;only dictatorships tend to have no conflicts at all
    Creating opposing forces would help to disminish powers of specific categories (police,administration,army,politicians..) and would help to have more equity,justice;more freedom and more justice would be some of the consequences of a new balance of powers
    For instance a creation of an opposing force to check and watch the police would help to prevent abuses of authority,corruption,police blunders,etc..and the two categories would check each other just like the "check and balances " system of the government
    This kind of mutual control could work for any kind of power;i think of administration,schools,political parties,etc

By the way,there is a check and balance system in all the western democraties,this is not just a specific US system

18. KleverMonikerâ„¢

By looking at how you view power, both groups would want to twist it to their advantage. However, with the other group preventing them from doing so a conflict would arise which would turn into a power struggle. That power struggle would ultimately lead to the downfall of one group with the result being one group with more power than it had previously. Basically you seem to think people will stop at nothing to obtain more power, so creating two opposing groups with equal power would be stupid. It would end up with one eliminating the other.

19. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I dont want power over anyone but myself. Which is currently posessed by a number of organizations and people. damnit.

20. PublicEnemy

Struggles always occur in democratic societies:conservatives vs democrats,the working class vs the capitalist class,.. and so on..

Antagonist groups would be protected by laws and constitution;then i don't see how a group could prevent another one from acting and i don't see how this group could lead the antagonist group to the downfall..
    For instance,if the police and its opposite force are protected by specific laws,then the balance of powers will remain unchanged;the opposite force would check and watch the police;reports of abuses and corruption would help to clean up the police and only keep trustworthy individuals;on the other side,people from the opposite force would be chosen for their honesty,etc..and would be checked and watched by the police;the result of this struggle is the cleanup of the different groups which are endowed with power:the police,administrations,the army,etc..
    The power of one group and its opposite force would be defined by the constitution and protected by specific laws:then there can be no elimination of one group by its opposite (just like the democrats vs republicans opposition cannot end up with one eliminating the other one because they are protected by the constitution)