Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poverty hell build

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MaCrae, May 18, 2005.

1. MaCrae

MaCrae IncGamers Member

Poverty hell build

I've been experimenting with single player barbarian, assassin and necromancer builds since I updgraded to 1.10 last month. They're all weak by mid nightmare and I suspect would be worthless by hell if they managed to get that far even. Muling helps a little but I'd love to have one character to focus on who could take point, clear a path and ship some of the spoils back home to his little brothers and sisters. Keeping in mind that I only have cheap crap for equipment, what kind of build do you think could survive and even flourish in Hell without all the shiny baubles? I've thought about rolling a purely defensive character, maybe a summoning necromancer, 'iron' barbarian with maxed concentration, or perhaps a paladin specializing in defensive auras. Any ideas?

2. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

summoning necro sure is a good idea :) i also like hammerdins and meteorb sorcs

check out the guides in the class specific forums, you ll get some ideas

3. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver IncGamers Member

All of the advice for building a first mf character will apply to your quest to build "one character to focus on who could take point, clear a path and ship some of the spoils back home to his little brothers and sisters." The Summon Necro and the MeteOrb Sorc are considered to be the least item dependent booty gathering builds. You can also look for builds that can be easily played "untwinked" through Hell (without muling items into (or out of) the char's possesion). If you go ahead and twink a build that works untwinked, you should do even better in Hell.

4. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

In my opinion, the simplest for you is a pure summoning Necromancer. Very safe to play, and very powerful even untwinked in Hell. All you gotta do is put the points to the right skills/stats and hire a Might merc :p

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

if you by poverty mean that you have no (or just bad) items, summoning necro is the easiest way to go, followed by various sorcs and even javazons.
    They do not need very much items to kill at all.
    Iron barbs are item dependant.
    Summon necros are the easiest to play too...

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A very cheap build is an IK barb with two Angelic rings plus amulet. 30% IAS on the weapon itself will make him reach the final WW breakpoint and he can use a socketing quest on the armor and two on his merc's gear. Before putting anything valuable into the helm's and the armor's sockets, find out where his weaknesses are and if there are none, put ptopazes into them. Together with a few charms he will have maximum resists. The IK armor costs Um and all the rest just a few pgems. As soon as that char got "rich", he might try to get Metalgrid, Ravenfrost and a BK ring. You can level the barb with Sigon's plus Steeldriver, the latter to be upgraded to exceptional as soon he is L34.

7. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

IK build is cheap on an entirely different level than I assume this guy is talking about. Most people, it'll cost you everything you have on every character just to get that armor, and even then no one wants your crap. My IK barb was my ninth character and most expensive build to date.

As someone who can relate to be actually poor and not just "well you only have 3 ists", I think the easiest characters are necromancer and druid. They've got a few natural skills to keep them pretty safe. Yay for cyclone armor.

Edit: Most expensive to start-- my druid has actually gotten some very nice equipment indeed now.

8. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Summonmancer = easy untwinked build in hell.

9. krischan

On ladder Europe, IK armor = Um = 40 pgems and pgems shouldn't be a problem. They start to drop in act 4 or 5 normal. I'm sure you will get an IK armor on the spot if you offer 40 pgems in the Europe trade forum.

There probably are a lot of hell areas which are not a big problem for a necro wearing nothing but a self-found necro head and a shopped wand. However, there are also many areas where he will fail. Untwinked play probably includes not getting rushed, especially not by twinked characters. I'm not sure if his army will be strong enough to kill Diablo, the Councils or Baal minions, and a pure skelemancer might have probems killing the first monster in hell with a non-twinked merc, as long as he doesn't have the portal to Pindle's garden yet.

10. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Well, he said he's single player, so I think that rules out IK build. He's not going to find that stuff himself if he can't get past Act II NM.

I agree that a sorc, hammerdin, or summon necro are probably your best bets, with a well built sorc possibly being the easiest to get started. The necro can be effective, but you will run into the same problems all summoners do with the Normal act bosses (Diablo especially can be extremely hard.) After that they cruise. And, although a hammerdin would work fine, the ability to teleport through tough areas (such as Durance lvl 1&2 and the Worldstone Keep,) might give the sorc the edge. Any of the three will work.

Builds that depend on physical damage are by nature gear dependant. Casters benefit greatly from +skills, but with good builds can usually make it through the game.

11. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

You could probably swing either a hammerdin or a summoner. Like said previous, you will have difficulties with act bosses using a summoner. Killing tons and tons of monsters shouldn't be difficult with your summoner, especially with corpse explosion. Summoners are great for crowd control; hammerdins are not particularly shabby at it either. Pick the one that better suits your style of play and you'll get through.

12. krischan

Oops, that's right. In that case I suggest a hammerdin, although I for myself don't like to play them. #2 would indeed be a summon necro.

If you don't have anything that adds to sorc levels or skill trees, I suggest not to use a sorc. There is quite a hefty increase in difficulty for a sorc and in single play, you need help from a merc.

13. chickenhed

chickenhed IncGamers Member

What about a trap assassin? I have found that they arent that gear dependant. Especially when backed up with Dtalon (which only really require high level boots that can be purchased).

14. exhibit_a

exhibit_a IncGamers Member

I just started a pure skelemancer on ladder not long ago..my first ladder char.. and I have no probs with it. My gear rots..as does my mercs (no pun intended.) My merc is using a Kelpie Snare (of all things :) ). Gumby and my merc do fine enough creating corpses in the beginning of Hell for skellies.

15. krischan

A Kelpie Snare is the optimum necro merc weapon IMO, so that's not a crap weapon. An ethereal, upgraded one is better, of course...

16. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Getting corpes in hell is not a problem at all with an untwinked summonmancer.

17. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Another alternative is a +4 Arioc's Needle : the merc gets a mightier aura, and so are my skeletons :thumbsup: !

18. krischan

I like it not to lose a single skeleton to any act boss and a Kelpie Snare together with a clay golem and decrep slows single ememies so massively that they are nearly frozen. You just have to ensure that the merc and the golem find a place where they can attack and that they don't get distracted e.g. by Diablo's bone prison or Baal's tentacles..

19. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

i use attract to move them if they do :p

20. MaCrae

MaCrae IncGamers Member

so here's how it went. any suggestions?

Thanks for all the advice! I did as most of you suggested and rolled a Summoner. 'Simon Magus,' named for the necromancer from the Acts of the Apostles, hit 80 in about two weeks. I can't believe how powerful he is. Hell is cake for this build.

Here are the details. If anyone can help me rate him and suggest improvements I'd really appreciate it.

Simon has maxed CE, SM, raise skeleton, and nearly maxed summon mage, and employs a level 80 might merc with some hwanin's gear (+ 20 regen) and a magic spear (+20 regen) which together give +40 to regen.

I also have about +4 to Revive and a few points in summon resist, Iron Golem and Amplify Damage. With all my gear on I get a total of +9 to summoning skills (+3 circlet, +3 wand, +1 to all skills Vipermagi vest, +2 summoner's amulet), so I have no trouble raising an army.

11 skellies, 10 mages, an iron golem, and 13 revives + a level 21 poison creeper from this funky ring I found= 46 minions at full strength.

gear:

+3 summoner's circlet
    Moser's blessed circle
    dwarfstar
    Vipermagi
    magefist
    +21 poison creeper ring
    infernostride
    Goldwrap
    +2 summoning amulet

Simon killed diablo in about 3 minutes and is working on the final act of hell this week, so he is more than competent to handle hell difficulty. Still, he could be better. Please offer suggestions and criticisms.