Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Potential Tournament - Show Your Colours! (Feedback appreciated!)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pb_pal, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

*WARNING: SEVERAL WALLS OF TEXT AHEAD*

This all started with research I was doing simply because I’ve always been interested in how the colours work in D2, and could only find sparse information here and there about it. As I read and delved into it more, I started to compile all the information into one place. This ultimately led to some brainstorming and I figured that this could make a pretty cool tournament as well! Here I present to you a preliminary idea for a future tournament; The Show Your Colours Tournament.

This is not a sign-up thread, it is just a preliminary thread to (primarily) gauge interest in the idea, and polish up the ruleset. I still have some testing to do with several things, but if there is significant interest, I can speed up the timeline for when this officially starts.

The basic premise is straightforward. Your character must pick a colour, and all equipment that is "displayed" (ie. helm, armour, weapon and shield) must adhere to this colour, so that you have a colour-coordinated character suited up in a snazzy outfit to dazzle all the monsters with! All other equipment (gloves, belt, boots, and jewelery) is not accounted for in the character display, and does not need to adhere to the coloration rule. There are multiple ways in which to achieve this coloration, so let's begin with a (not-so) little primer on transform colours. Don’t let the amount of information here deter you, you can get by easily in this tournament by discounting most of what is there. I just figured that since this IS the SPF, I’d at least give everyone a chance to get overly meticulous in their planning :p.

*Note-all .txt files referenced here can be found in ATMA's Config directory, just drop them into Excel for easy viewing! I will also attach an Excel file that has all relevant .txt files sorted by colour in Appendix B for those interested.*

Basics of Coloration

An item's colour is controlled by transform flags located in the data files. There are two ways in which these transform flags can be manipulated to produce an item with colour; Affixes and the socketing of gems. Not all affixes will change the colour of an item, but those which have a transform code (located in MagicPrefix.txt and MagicSuffix.txt data files) have the potential to change the colour of an item, assuming other conditions are met which I will get into later. Gems work similarly in that they have a transform number (found in Gems.txt) that will change the colour of an item if certain parameters are met (again, I'll explain later). The transform numbers and codes, and what they represent, are as follows:

Code:
    #  - code - Colour         -      Gems(if applicable)
    00 - whit - White          - Perfect Diamond
    01 - lgry - Light Gray     - Chipped-Flawless Diamond
    02 - dgry - Dark Gray      - Chipped-Flawless Skull
    03 - blac - Black          - Perfect Skull
    04 - lblu - Light Blue   
    05 - dblu - Dark Blue      - Chipped-Flawless Sapphire
    06 - cblu - Crystal Blue   - Perfect Sapphire
    07 - lred - Light Red   
    08 - dred - Dark Red       - Chipped-Flawless Ruby
    09 - cred - Crystal Red    - Perfect Ruby
    10 - lgrn - Light Green  
    11 - dgrn - Dark Green     - Chipped-Flawless Emerald
    12 - cgrn - Crystal Green  - Perfect Emerald
    13 - lyel - Light Yellow   - Perfect Topaz
    14 - dyel - Dark Yellow    - Chipped-Flawless Topaz
    15 - lgld - Light Gold   
    16 - dgld - Dark Gold   
    17 - lpur - Light Purple   - Perfect Amethyst
    18 - dpur - Dark Purple    - Chipped-Flawless Amethyst
    19 - oran - Orange   
    20 - bwht - Bright White

*One thing to note just for completeness’ sake is that runes have a
    Transform Number of 18, although they do not actually transform
    equipment to a purple colour* 
    One last thing to note about affixes is that they have a chain of priority which decides exactly which colour takes precedence. If there is only 1 Affix with a Transform Code, if will change the colour of the item (assuming of course the item is able to change colour), whereas if two conflicting affixes are on the same item, the Suffix will take precedence. For example:

Godly (Dark Gold) Archon Plate of Ages (no Transform code) will display as Dark Gold, whereas

Godly (Dark Gold) Archon Plate of Swords (Orange) will display as Orange.

This gets slightly more complicated in rares and crafts when there are multiple prefixes and suffixes, but there remains a hierarchy there as well; suffix 1, suffix 2, suffix 3, prefix 1, prefix 2, prefix 3. Unique and Set items also have their own respective transform codes listed in the UniqueItems.txt and SetItems.txt data files.

--

Now that we know HOW they change colour, there is also the trouble of whether or not they CAN change colour. Basically in the Armor.txt and Weapons.txt data files, there are two columns which govern if it is possible for an item to change colour. These are the "Transform" column which dictates whether or not the colour will change on your character in-game, and "InvTrans" column which dictates whether or not the item will change colour in your inventory. If the "transform" column has a 0 in it, the item will never change colour on your character (though these items can still change colour in your inventory if the InvTrans column does not = 0). So you'll have to be careful that you do not waste a socketing opportunity on an item that won't display on your character, as that is what counts for this tournament. Items that do NOT change display colour (ie. Transform = 0) on your character, and are thus banned*, are as follows:

- Full Helm, Basinet, Giant Conch

- All Paladin Shields

- Circlet, Coronet, Tiara, Diadem (These do not have a graphical display at all on the character, so even though they have a non-zero Transform number, they are still banned)

*Obviously Gloves, Belts, Boots, and Jewelery are not included under this section, despite having a Transform value of 0, as none of them are actually displayed on your character

Now that we know what happens when an item has a Transform value of 0, you might ask what all the other values mean. Well, the rest of the Transform values (1,2,5,7,8) dictate which PART of the item actually changes colour. I don’t know what they all reference, but it seems that each one pertains to a different colour on the actual item (so, if an item has Transform = 1, all gray areas will change colour). The only reason I’m mentioning this is because there are certain items (Mask-type helms come to mind) that only small portions of the item change colour. Taking a Mask as an example, only the horns of the mask actually change colour, but the face does not (think Tal’s Helm). For our purposes in this tournament that will suffice, and I’ll leave it up to the individual participant whether or not they feel it is enough of an impact to warrant use.

One very last thing to note when you are looking for equipment is that you should pay attention to the affixes of the item in question, rather than simply if the colour looks blue/purple/whatever or not. There are items that do not transform colour in the inventory at all (InvTrans = 0), or do not transform in any really noticeable way, but DO still change the colour displayed on your character (Transform =/= 0). Some examples are Necro heads and Barb-specific helms (Invtrans = 0), and Large/Kite/Tower/Gothic type Shields and their exceptional/elite counterparts (InvTrans = 2). For example, a Savage Helmet of the Mammoth will look its normal gray in your inventory screen, but will give a nice blood-red appearance on your character.

Again, the only items that never change colour (Transform=0) are listed above in the banned section, so everything else is fair game as long as it has an applicable affix or gem socketed!

Confused enough yet? Good, let's get to the tournament's rules!

Preliminary Rules (pending feedback, tweaking):

1. Standard HC (or SC-first-death-DQ), Single-pass, FAM, GoMule/Atma, etc etc.

2. All "displayed" equipment in-game (not the inventory screen) must match in colour, chosen on character selection. Colour choices are: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow (includes Gold), White (includes Light gray), Black (includes Dark Gray), Purple, Orange*

a) This includes helm, body armor, weapon and shield​

i) As stated in the Primer above, certain items do not ever change colour, and thus cannot be used in this tournament. These items include: Full Helm/Basinet/Giant Conch, All Paladin-specific Shields, and Circlet/Coronet/Tiara/Diadems.​

ii) See “Appendix A – How to Colour” for all ways in which equipment can be coloured for you and by you.​

b) All other equipment (gloves, belt, boots, jewelery) have no colour restraints (this helps alleviate the disadvantage of not choosing yellow for MF, as well as adding valuable survival options)​

c) Plain (non-magic), empty-socketed, or ethereal equipment may be used until your first piece of coloured equpiment is found/made.​

*Kudos to anyone who chooses Orange. No gems to modify equipment and a very limited Affix/Set/Unique pool will not be easy!

3. Mercenary equipment must follow the same restrictions (although the colour need not be the same as your characters), with the colour chosen on hire. I know their display never changes, but it suits the theme.

a) Plain (non-magic), empty-socketed, or ethereal equipment may be used until the first piece of coloured equpiment is found/made.​

b) If you switch mercenary types, you may choose a new colour upon hiring them.​

c) To keep people from just switching around to change equpiment on their mercenaries, a mercenary of a given type (eg. Act II – Blessed Aim, or Act I - Cold) may only be selected ONCE, and may not be selected again once they have been relieved of duty. Barbarian Mercs may only be hired and have a colour chosen once.​

4. Skill restrictions:
    • Shapeshifting (Werewolf, Werebear) are banned. We're here to show off our colours!
    • Holy Shield may only be used is White is selected as your character’s colour.
    • Venom may only be used if Green is selected as your character's colour.
    • Enchant may only be used if Red is selected as your character's colour (although it may be used freely on mercenaries, as their display doesn't change.
    5. No Stat restrictions

6. Runewords are banned (though individual runes can be socketed into appropriate equipment)

7. Socketing may be done as you wish, as long as the final item is properly coloured. See Appendix A for details.

8. Gambling is permitted and encouraged.

9. Respec is banned.

10. This will be extra difficult for weapon-dependent melee builds, especially considering socketing only affects crafted and socketed (gray) items. Keep this in mind when selecting colour and build plan.

---

Appendices:

Appendix A – How to Colour

Wondering how to make the most of your opportunities? Here is a full breakdown of what works (and what doesn’t) in terms of finding/making those colourful pieces:

There are multiple ways in which items can be manipulated to attain specific colour transforms, here I will list all the ways that you can obtain a valid item to equip on your character. These rules are obviously only practically applied to armour, helm, and weapon/shield slots for this tournament.

1. Socketed (Gray):
    • The first socket must be filled with an appropriate gem (ie. Sapphire of any quality for Blue). Remaining sockets may be filled as you wish. This means that for a 3-socket chain mail you can socket sapphire-topaz-topaz, and your armor will still be coloured blue. This is handy, so that characters who choose colours other than yellow are not too handicapped in the MF department early on!

2. Magic/Rare:
    • The only way is to find/buy/gamble an item with an appropriate affix (ie. *item* of Nova Shield for Blue). Socketing does NOT affect the colour of the item.

3. Set/Unique:
    • All Set/Uniques come with an inherent Transform colour found in SetItems.txt and UniqueItems.txt. There is no other way to alter their colour.

4. Crafted:
    • The first socket must be filled with an appropriate gem. Remaining sockets may be filled as you wish. Crafts do not transform based on affix selection (strangely), so socketing is the only way in which they will be useable.

Appendix B – Further Resources (Use them, they’re helpful!)

List of Magic Prefixes (Arreat Summit)

List of Magic Suffixes (Arreat Summit)

Affix Calculator which also shows their respective colours

Here is an Excel Spreadsheet with all .txt files mentioned in the Primer, sorted by colour. You can also see what item type each affix will spawn on if you scroll over to the “itype” columns. Make sure you take a look over there in your planning, it will give you a good idea of what will be available! Fun little resource, if nothing else.

Spreadsheet DL Link
    --

So there you have it. Let me know if you’re interested in this at all. :p I do have a couple areas of concern, mostly just that certain colours (Green, Purple, and especially Orange) are seemingly a fair bit more difficult to pull off for the end-game than the other colours. It’s a real shame that Magic items don’t transform colour when socketed, but I guess the silver lining is that for some reason crafted items do. Maybe that’s a good thing though, it will force people to take some interesting item choices.

Either way, let me know what you think and we’ll sort out a general timeline depending on the amount of interest. Thanks for reading! :)

2. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I would consider this, but not until I've beaten your other tournament haha. We do need more though! I'm interested to see how this develops.

3. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

I'm definitely in if this ever takes off, still pondering what hero and color to choose. Maybe I'll employ the RNG on this one if I can't decide.

4. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

If I can think of a build to do, I'd probably be in, but I have to be honest with you, it sounds pretty restrictive and difficult. Can we use different color sets on the same character? Like I might have a full blue set and full red set, and swap between them?

5. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I have too much going on with two personal projects, and a tournament with only about 2-4 hr a week to play.

But I would like to suggest rainbow as a color option, although it will probably be easier to manage, so I would understand if you ignore me here

Also, if you socket something, then Hel it out, does it get recolored or remain its original color?

6. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Hm different colour sets of equipment is something I didn't consider. I'd rather not do that, as then I think most people would just be Yellow throughout Normal and NM for the extra MF. I might do something like allow 1 colour change per difficulty (they wouldn't carry over, so you wouldn't have 2 in NM if you didn't use your Normal one).

Another thing I considered about making it a bit less strenuous is to allow mercenaries free range on their equipment, as their displays don't change anyways. The only problem with that is I don't want it to turn into a "follow the merc" tournament for everyone.

I thought about the rainbow option as well, where every piece of equipment (gloves etc included) have to be a different colour. Unfortunately it just doesn't fit the theme, as the main flavour of the tournament is having a matching outfit. Definitely something I might employ in a future tournament though!

Thoughts?

Great feedback so far!

7. Southpaw8668

Since the helm and body armor are the only two items we are concerned with for their displayed colors, I vote that we stick with one color throughout our journey and list it in the table as such. It requires a bit more forethought, planning and a lot of luck, but then are these tournaments not supposed to be difficult to tackle? If this one never gets off the ground eventually, I might have to undergo it on my own.

8. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Perhaps you could allow color changes following a sacrifice. So say someone gets a game changing unique, but it just happens to be the wrong color. I'd hate to be in a position where I'd have to forgo using it.

What if a player can then leave any non-colored equipment slot empty for the rest of the tourney in order to change color a single time? If they wanted to swap again they'd have to drop a second slot and so on.

9. Southpaw8668

I know now exactly what hero and choice color I'm going to roll with. Gretchen the green spearzon, who will specialize in crafting safety items mostly, if not entirely that of course utilize a perfect emerald for the recipe.[emoji2] I know this isn't a required thing, but it is right on theme.

Pb_pal likes this.
  10. Gino

Gino IncGamers Member

I'm still a little lost on how this all works. How do we tell what color items are? Just by equipping them?

11. Southpaw8668

@Gino - The extensive lists in the links and file share spreadsheet he provided in the spoiler sections of the OP. It is quite a bit of data to take all in, but eventually it all makes sense.

12. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Don't forget weapon counts as well for the display, as does the shield. You echo my sentiments perfectly with the last sentence, a strong theme that requires planning is one of my favourite parts of these tournaments.

It will happen. :) Probably sometime in the relatively near future, I just have a bit more testing to confirm a few things. Glad you like the idea!

Interesting thought. I might integrate this, or something extremely similar.

Love it. It will take some luck to roll a decent craft with a socket (for an emerald of course) for the relevant slots, but definitely doable!

For almost all items, their inventory graphic will tint to the colour as well. Think about when you're at a vendor and all those nice red/blue/yellow armours are staring back at you. If it's magic you can also check the affixes in the spreadsheet or calculator linked above (you can find them in Appendix B). You can also drop it on the ground if it's identified and you'll be able to see the colour. If all else fails, equipping works too. :)

--

So what are people's thoughts on the mercenaries? Should they be coloured too, or should we remove restrictions on them? On the one hand, keeping the mercenaries in theme would be nice, but lifting their restrictions might enable more possibilities for character builds, which is always good. Right now I'm leaning towards lifting the merc restrictions, but I wouldn't mind hearing from you guys about it.

13. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

you could give each act merc a preassigned Tourney universal color. And assign the colors to punish overused Act 2 mercs and benefit lesser used Act V mercs for example

EDIT:
    I'd recommend-
    Act I: Green
    Act II: Orange
    Act III: White/gray
    Act V: Red

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Interdasting likes this.
  14. Southpaw8668

I'm on the fence with lifting the restrictions on the mercenaries, since they don't change appearance and it won't show up in the screenshots we share. However, you know everyone will just have their mercenary decked out in full MF gear (yellows) up to Hell difficulty and force them to do the majority of the killing. Hmm, tough call.

15. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

I'd be interested in this one as well. As for the mercenaries, I like @Brak 's idea of pre-defined color sets, but I'd be just as good with whatever choice you go with. I tend to prefer not decking out with MF anyway.

16. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

I just might participate in this. I agree with Brak's idea for mercs. Gives the others the potential for more use, and ultimately increases the creativity of the tourny participants. Still thinking over what I would play and how though...

17. Southpaw8668

I think Brak is on to something there. Very good idea indeed!

18. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Well I looked into it a bit more (missed this the first time around), but it doesn't seem that Orange prefixes or suffixes can spawn on helms. The spreadsheet says they can, but double checking against the AS and the calculator (and some shopping, although admittedly not enough for a solid conclusion), I don't see any spawns on helms. Since there's no gems to turn colour orange, you'd be dependent entirely on finding either Tarnhelm or Aldur's helmet for headgear.

So we might have to give orange a skip as a colour (although I doubt anyone would have chosen it).

I like Brak's mercenary idea as well, and I think we'll probably go with that. Now that Orange is off the table I might go with:

Act I - Green (Maybe Black?)
    Act II - Purple
    Act III - White
    Act V - Red

I still feel like this gives enough of a pull away from A2 to lessen the dominance of having an aura, especially if the Rogues use Black (for all the damage-enhancing mods). This way you can at least use gems to get SOMETHING on them in the early game too.

19. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

I think black would give too much credence to the merc for help in dealing with resistant monsters. With green alone, the merc can't consistently damage fire/ice/lightning resistant mobs due to the limitation on one element alone, which I feel makes it fall in line with the rest of the mercs in damage and orientation to a single color (not using multiple colors to combine into one).

20. Southpaw8668

So if I'm understanding this hireling rule correctly, then I will be questing with an unrestricted by color Rogue throughout the game, since I'm choosing green for my hero's preferred color?