Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Potential problem with D3 (at least for me) - loot

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Cutwolf, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

Potential problem with D3 (at least for me) - loot

One of the coolest things about D2, imo, was the economy (pre-duping). SoJs became the currency and everything sort of flowed off that. Everyone could trade with everyone.

If I'm understanding this right, however, this means items will almost be randomly generated (so an item that would have been +3 all skills in D2 will be +3 <whichever class it drops for> in D3). This will lead to 5 separate economies for each of the classes.

This also kind of takes a big element of "multiplayer" out of multiplayer. It's almost as if you're playing together to kill the monsters, but things like loot are still single player. It doesn't seem as immersive.

I may just be being a negative nancy and I admit that because there are so few details that I could be way wrong in my interpretation, but this is my first concern right now (of course, I have others like whether they can match the feel and longevity of D2, but it's blizzard so I have faith)

2. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

Re: Potential problem with D3 (at least for me) - loot

No, loot is still random. It's just that it is preassigned to one of the characters so the melee guy/TK sorc can't ninja it from you.

3. jamesisbest

jamesisbest IncGamers Member

My interpretation as of now is that they just split all the loot evenly among party members randomly. So you can still find witch doctor items as a barb just that if you are in a party of 6 one in every six items will be shown for you and you only.

4. YrrAB

YrrAB IncGamers Member

Yeah, in Diablo 2, if you're killing a boss or something of the like with a group, you're ready for a drop. You're already holding alt, and you're not attacking anymore, you're just waiting for the last bit of the monsters health to drop so you can click like mad.

The pro to that is it really kept you paying attention, but the con is you never really play with a group. I remember when a group of mine was fighting the Diablo Clone for the first time, we all stopped attacking @ like 1% of his health, ready for the anni. He killed us all in like 1 hit and we had to start over again.

5. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I'm a bit concerned how it will play out, but I like to give game developers the benefit of the doubt here, especially ones that have proven themselves before.

Unless it's Deus Ex 2: Invisible War and they refuse to fix glaring problems with the design despite immense fan blacklash. Pffft tards.

Edit: Besides, the current system isn't that good, as YrrAB noted.

6. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

I interpreted it as meaning loot became character specific (so barbs will only get barb loot to drop).

If they just take the 5 items that would have dropped and randomly assign them to one of the characters, that won't be so bad.

7. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Yeah, HGL had a similar system which I say its one of the few things that the game has done right.

With the focus on cooperative, its important that you dont feel worried about your own companion stealing your drops and also the other way around.

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

most (if not all) multiplayer games have loot distributed in this way, so this is not something new for D3. i don't think it will lead to different economies, it will just distribute drops more fairly

for example if a monster drops 2 magic items and 500 gold to a three player party, two will get magical items while the third will receive 500 gold. also i hope drops will be distributed so the highest players get preference (it would be lame if a level 1 character received the best item in a party of level 90's).

9. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

From NeoGaf forums:

Can anyone confirm that's what they said or is this the guy's interpretation of it?

But even with this system, this runs the risk of devaluing top items. If an item with a .1% drop chance drops for a party of 4, that means 4 people have that item. Becomes much less rare (although I guess not in the grand scheme of millions of players).

This also allows people with multiple accounts/copies of the game to do boss runs and double up their loot. It's almost like built in duping.

10. Leohappy

i seriously doubt this theory.

most likely the monsters will have a fixed drop rate just like they have now, but unlike now each player will receive his share of the loot without chasing it on the ground.

11. Cwicseolfor

Actually, I think it's something else. In Diablo 2 if 8 people were playing, there was like a 400% increased chance of item drops or something right?

Well now, the rate of item drops is the same regardless of the number of players, but... each player rolls their own dice when a monster dies. So in an 8 player game, there would be 8 different loot checks - one per character.

In this way, too, a low level character rolls his low-level loot table, and a high level character rolls his high level loot table.

Further, this means that sometimes 4 people might get something, while 4 don't, and sometimes one person will get something while 7 don't, since all rolls are independent.

That's my take on it anyway.

12. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Just a quick note, Leohappy, but I really hope there WILL be no lev 1 chr's in a group with lev 90's. I want this to be impossible. There have got to be level limitations on partying up.

I like the new loot system. The only downfall I think will be a whole lot of people will be spamming messages like "what did YOU get?", "Here's what I got, it was a ____.", "No, I'm not lying! I'll show you in town.", "Was it a witchdoctor item? It was wasn't it?...You're LYING! ...Drop it on ground then...I'll stand over here while you drop it on ground."

13. Leohappy

level 1 characters in hell should not be possible in d2 either, but for some reason blizzard never bothered to fix this bug. so you just have to think of every possibility.

regardless, the new loot system will have pluses and minuses. if levels are involved, it will most likely make high level players unpopular in parties (they just might get better stuff), and as you said, it is to expect a lot of message spam. but on the other hand, you will be able to focus more on action, and not have one eye on action, and the other on item drops, while your left hand is sitting on alt-key to snatch them quickly. ridiculous.

14. Cwicseolfor

I don't expect there to be too much message spam due to the completely unpredictable nature of whether or not somebody got a drop.

Besides, a little curiosity like that is good - it keeps the game interesting.

15. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

Ive played a few games that have this loot system and I think it filters out bad feeling between players.'Stay out of the star' was just ridiculous on some chaos runs I went on.The new system keeps a nice flow to item drops and probably means less 'MF runs' are needed,less solo runs.

16. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Easily fixed by not scaling loot chance with player amount in the game.

17. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

So you have 1/4 chance to get an item with 4 people in the game? Then why would anyone party up?

18. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

As I understand it, everyone gets their own version of the loot, which has nothing to do with what the others are getting. Fixes all the problems I can think of.

19. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Ugh.

Say, an item has a 0.0001% chance to drop. If more players join, the drop chance does NOT change. As simple as that.

As for partying - killing monsters becomes easier. Remember D2 system? +50% HP per new player, but each player adds +100% power. Also, different classes complement each other.

20. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

It's not a difficult concept to get your head around.

Instead of Diablo dropping 8 items for everyone to try to jack, each person will get their own separate drop from Diablo. It doesn't matter if you are in a party or solo, you get the same items. All it means is that Diablo drops his loot twice, once for each player so they don't compete.